autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoe Polish on Trim?!?!?

Anyone ever heard of this?!?!? Talked to a guy tonight asking me about detailing his car and about how long our trim restorer lasts - well this sparked a very odd IMO conversation on shoe polish lol. He said he used shoe polish on his trim and it lasted over a year before fading back. That sounds pretty amazing to me - anyone ever tried this or heard of it?!!?!?
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shoe Polish on Trim?!?!?

Thought you were talking about cleaning shoe polish off interior trim pieces haha. Im constantly getting guys asking me if i can remove shoe polish. I want to say Ive heard of it, haven't and don't think i would. But now i am very interested to see what others have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a wax with dye, interesting.... I've heard of guys using shoe polish on interior leather for scratches and scuffs, never for plastic trim
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

There is (was) a product that 'we' used (on shoes) that was called "Sole Dressing." This is used on the sole edges, not on the shoe itself.

I know there was, of course, black, and at least a couple of shades of browns.

If you have a shoe repair shop handy, that would be the best place to try.

Now, having written this...I've never tried it...but makes me wonder if maybe it just might work.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I've used sole dressing on shoes (actually combat boots). Now I'm wondering if that's what turdle wax black box is lol.

I've never tried it on trim, it might work, but wonder if it would build up and crack or craze, or if it would damage the trim in some way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    Anyone ever heard of this?!?!? Talked to a guy tonight asking me about detailing his car and about how long our trim restorer lasts - well this sparked a very odd IMO conversation on shoe polish lol. He said he used shoe polish on his trim and it lasted over a year before fading back. That sounds pretty amazing to me - anyone ever tried this or heard of it?!!?!?
    I use it to redye trim. What uou said is correct. It lasts for well over a year. However you just dontt just any old shoe polish. You have to use leather dye. Its a waterbased dye that works exactly the same as foreverblacks trim restorer. For smaller trim pieces it works great but for larger pieces like bumpers you need to spray it on to get a more uniform look.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    I use it to redye trim. What uou said is correct. It lasts for well over a year. However you just dontt just any old shoe polish. You have to use leather dye. Its a waterbased dye that works exactly the same as foreverblacks trim restorer. For smaller trim pieces it works great but for larger pieces like bumpers you need to spray it on to get a more uniform look.

Can you seal it afterwards with wolgang ETS or similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRex View Post
    Can you seal it afterwards with wolgang ETS or similar?
    Thats exactly what I do. I give it 30 mins to set and fully evaporate before I top with UTTG or ETS.

I am looking at the new solution finish but right now there are no solid durability tests so Im sticking to what works for me.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of Shoe polish on trim. BUT, I worked on this Expedition that was in pretty bad shape and the trim was so faded it was almost white. I tried to do my best and used a ton of Ultima Trim and Tire Gaurd on it. So what does she do? She says "I know an old trick" and proceeds to get a bottle of baby oil and rub it all over. If I knew she was going to do that I wouldn't have wasted all that expensive UTTG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Good stuff man! Testing that on my truck this weekend
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast