autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anti-static, gimmick or real?

I noticed some products advertise "anti-static" as part of their selling points, meaning the vehicle does not attract dirt/dust and stays clean longer.

Seeing as there is no test to prove if there is really any "anti-static" properties, do you Autogeeks think it is a real property or is it just a gimmick and sort of a placebo effect where if you are told it has it, you think your car really does stay cleaner?

Chemical guys has something called M-Seal
    Chemical Guys M-Seal Anti-Static Paint Sealant 16oz.

Wolfgang has something called Fuzion
    Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Car Wax contains real carnauba wax and paint sealant polymers to protect paint. ultimate show car wax, auto wax, paste wax,

FinishKare has something called FK425
    Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine, finish care quick detailer, ultra slick detail spray

Chemical guys has something called Speed wipe
    Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Spray Anti-static Quick Detailer 16oz.

Okay, my point is...since the mentioned 4 products claim to be "anti-static"
    would using M-Seal sealant as a base layer, then topped with Fuzion, then wiped off with either speed wipe or fk425 keep my car cleaner longer than say...just Blackfire paint sealant alone?

Again, this is pretty much your opinions since there is no way to prove if it does keep your car cleaner longer etc because some days the wind might not blow as hard, so not much dust is flying around, where as another day it might be more windy, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anti-static, gimmick or real?

In using FK425 many times I feel like it helps keep dust/pollen away, but only by a very small amount. Probably any finish that is clean and slick will help to prevent dust and pollen from settling and sticking to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Gimmick. They try to link slickness with ant static. Its all BS. Show me any car paint surface that repels dust and then you may have a case.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

This is something I'm planning on testing - I'm going to be doing an application of carnauba on a panel, then have different sections wiped off with FK425, OID, UWW+, and PB S&W (plus an untouched control section), just to see if it'll have any impact. Would love to have something that helps, even just a bit, as the way carnauba attracts dust is my main peeve about them. Unfortunately, the car I was planning on doing the test on is at the service shop, and I'm not sure when I'll get it back.
    Francis

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post

This is something I'm planning on testing - I'm going to be doing an application of carnauba on a panel, then have different sections wiped off with FK425, OID, UWW+, and PB S&W (plus an untouched control section), just to see if it'll have any impact.

The key for any testing like this is to do everything on the same panel. The best test panel is a horizontal surface that you can look down on, a large flat hood, dark in color, and you must have dedicated test sections with control areas. Been there, done this... shared the results numerous times on this forum and MOL

If if you have a product that can turn the surface anti-static, you can't change the static charge dust and air-borne dirt and other particulates have naturally. Plus clear coat paint has a negative charge to start with.

Here's an article from my article list...

Static Electricity and Dust Attraction to your Car's Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, Mike, and the article link - I hadn't read that particular article before. I was planning on doing the test on the trunk of the car, which is a navy blue in color - so the dust is really noticeable. I'm certainly not expecting any miracles, but any improvement would help
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

It's not 100% and sure is No miracle. I cleaned my tv applied fk425 to half and checked it in bout a week and you could see a difference. Now the side with 425 had dust but it was noticeably less

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    Again, this is pretty much your opinions since there is no way to prove if it does keep your car cleaner longer etc because some days the wind might not blow as hard, so not much dust is flying around, where as another day it might be more windy, etc.
    -(Except for the additional contaminates being blown around that may also land upon a vehicle, you can probably take the 'wind blowing hard' out of this equation.)

Note:Could get really technical here, but I'll leave that to others...I feel it would just belabor the issue...So:
    In my layman's terms...

Static electricity basically is:
    Net Electrical Charge...The transfer of electrons, (sometimes protons?), between dissimilar materials, "rubbing-against" the other, past the point of neutrality, with the static-charge being released when these materials separate...A charge-separation, if you will...(That wonderful feeling one gets sometimes when walking across a synthetic carpet, while wearing woolen socks, and reaching out to open the front door to welcome visitors to your home.)

Some ways to "reduce" static-electricity:

1.) There are anti-static products on the market that have been in use for a long time. You'll find them especially where sensitive electronics are at risk.

-(When this subject came up last year, I emailed 3M about one their more popular anti-static product...ESD.

To: 3mstaticinfo@mmm.com, kenharvey@mmm.com
    Date: 08/15/2011 12:02 PM
    Subject: ESD Static Control

Message = Hi. I was wondering if your 3M Anti-Static Spray would be harmful if applied to bc/cc paint. I was hoping to find some relief from the dust that always seems to attach itself to a freshly polished/waxed/sealed vehicles' paint and other surfaces.

Thank you in advance for any information you may have on this subject. Bob

Response="The product has not been tested for this application". )

2.) You'll also find the folks working around sensitive electronics wearing wrist-straps (more common for these to be carbon-fiber nowadays) attached to "grounding straps".
    Today you'll find some vehicles still employ grounding straps/chains to discharge static build-up

3.) Air-Ionizers: These attempt to make air a conductor. Expensive units for use in a 'sized-area'

4.) Humidifiers: Air/Moisture Ratio.
    Static-electricity's charge-separation characteristics are least effective when the relative humidity is above 60%.
    Question: Would it better to use detailing products under this condition?

5.) Fabric softeners: First used in laundry situations to reduce the dreaded 'static-cling'. One of the original anti-static products. Ingredients are one of the technical-issues I referenced earlier.

-As far as I see it, then:

a.) Anti-static liquids/sprays are not magical...They just make surfaces slightly conductive so the charge-separate can't occur. Moisture content between dissimilar materials seems to hold the key in some instances. [Ever notice some folks will hose-down a vehicle when they have finished the last-step (LSP'd)?]
    b.) Even if one could make a vehicle static-electrically-repellant...How long would it stay that way?
    1. As vehicles (and its surfaces) are driven, they 'rub' against at least one dissimilar material---air. A static-charge is being developed...Shows itself when the vehicle comes to a rest/halt.
    2. Due to the different attire one wears...Getting in/out of, and even the act of riding in vehicles seats, causes not only the occupant to become 'charged' (20-40,000 volts), but also the entire vehicle. More chances for static build-up/dust attraction for the vehicle. More chances for the occupants to get that 'nice little spark' upon exiting the vehicle and not 'grounding' themselves.
    [Piece of advice: It's better to not use the keys to touch a metal part of the vehicle for grounding purposes if the keys have that little electronic chip in them]

3.) Fabric softeners: It has been suggested to make a weak solution of fabric-softener/distilled water to wipe-down seating areas, and perhaps other vehicle surfaces. I've never tried this method...Can't recommend it either.

4.) Vehicle Grounding Straps: Available at many suppliers. Doesn't enhance the looks of a vehicle, IMO. I believe their a good idea for Mobile Detailers, though.

-As to the products you listed as claiming to be anti-static:
    Perhaps they do contain ingredients/chemicals that are considered to be anti-static agents. Don't no how long they'll last; or, the "conditions" that deplete their anti-static characteristics, if they do indeed contain them. I just know in subject areas, other than vehicle applications (except for carpeting), the anti-static products must be reapplied on a scheduled basis.

-Water, and other liquid ingredients (moisture), content of many products may also determine their anti-static abilities, briefly IMO, until they are completely 'evaporated'.

Here's a list of Dissimilar Materials..."The Triboelectric Series", from most-positive to most-negative: (Source: Nature's Electricity~ Charles K Adams)

The positives:Air; Human hands; asbestos; rabbit fur; glass; mica; Human hair; nylon; wool; fur; lead; silk; aluminium; paper; cotton=zero.
    The negatives: Steel; wood; amber; sealing wax; hard rubber; nickel, copper; brass, silver; gold, platinum; sulphur; acetate, rayon; polyester; styrene; orlon; saran; polyurethane; polyethylene; polypropylene; vinyl (PVC); silicon; most negative=Teflon.
    {---I noticed the extremes between the red high-lighted materials...HMMMM---}

Hope this helps a little.

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 03-05-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, a car with a coat of FK 1000P on it attracts MUCH LESS dust if wiped down with FK425 than it does without.
    Black cars are easy!

Post Thanks / Like

from my experience, waxes attract more dust and dirt than sealants. i got some wolf bw on my car now and it attract alot less dust than when i used collinite waxes just saying keep it real

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast