autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Next collectible car wise?

A friend and I often talk about if we knew they would become so valuable we would have bought and stored muscle cars in the 70-80's. Watching Meekum Auction they recently talked about 50-70's Pickups being hot now and were nothing 10 years ago. So what might we be looking at 10-20 years from now and saying we should have bought ????? during the 2000's. Thanks, Spiney
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next collectible car wise?

I haven't been following collectible prices, but are cars from that era really in demand? That was a horrid time for muscle cars - especially the late 70's and early 80's. I remember as a teenager reading every car magazine I could get my hands on. For a couple years every new car was slower than last years model. And magazine road tests were basically cry fests about how hot the car was back in the 60's, before the gas crunch and tighter emissions regulations.

If anyone would have told me back then, that in 2012 you could buy a Corvette that had over 600 hp. I would never have believed it. After all, the hottest Corvette you could get at the time was 230 hp. (I think it was as low as 225 in '79) and it only came with a 3 speed automatic. If you wanted a manual, you were stuck with 190 hp.
    If you lived in California all you got was 180 hp. and an automatic.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I just can't believe how things have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been involved in classic cars pretty much my whole life, my dad was a car freak and has owned some extremely nice cars and has done restorations. Most of his friends are car enthusiasts and one friend of ours is the foremost authority on the 55, 56, 57 T-birds. My dad was in the military with him and after they both reired (yrs. ago) he has his shop in the country about 7 mi. from where we live. What I have learned from all the years of hanging around all these guys is that the classics evolve from the new generation of young adults. The people that have reached their age of maximum earnings. These are the people that have the desposible income to purchase (usually) the cars that they grewup with. so as the years go by the people with the money are the ones that tend to set standards for what will be collectible. Its a logical time line constantly evolving and moving forward. So it's a matter of recognizing the most popular cars of each era then waiting for that age group of car enthusiasts to make it to the peak of their earning potiential, what ever year that may be. Hope that wasn't too confusing, but as the saying goes your car is only worth as much as someone will pay for it at a givin time.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see some of the late model Cobra's getting collectible. Along with the Lightning's and 02-03 Harley F150's.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping my S2000

Post Thanks / Like

When I said I should have been collecting muscle cars in the 70's and 80's I meant cars from 55-72. During the 70-85 I was buying Mustangs for 300-1800. Now the same cars are 20-100K.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
    When I said I should have been collecting muscle cars in the 70's and 80's I meant cars from 55-72. During the 70-85 I was buying Mustangs for 300-1800. Now the same cars are 20-100K.

Doh! Just reread your post. You were clear, I misread it.

Post Thanks / Like

Making a guess, I could see some the older Lexus's and Infiniti's becoming collectable. Possibly some of the Northstar Caddies and even the Aurora, which came with a Northstar. The last T-birds that are no longer made will almost definitely become collectable, they were very well built cars, my brother owned one that I drove abit.

Post Thanks / Like

The obvious cars will always be collectible and classic (i.e. mustangs, vettes, and now the new camaros). I think specifically the 03-04 mustang cobras that were nicknamed the "terminators" will be highly collectable, I think the ZO6 and ZR1 vettes will be collectable, the ZR1 Camaro, will be collectable. Also I think we might start to see more foreign cars being collectable as well however they need to come out with some special editions which I do not see a whole lot of yet so I could not even take a stab at one now besides the GTR and maybe MAYBE the sti's and evos, as someone mentioned maybe even the s2000 but I would be willing to bet the more popular s2000s will be the "cr" versions and the first few years when they had the 2.0 that put out 240hp, I believe at the time it was the highest hp/liter NA engine in the world.
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Pontiac Aztek gets my vote!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast