autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Auto Show Swirls

I was at the DC auto show last Friday and was disappointed to see that nearly every car on the floor was a swirly mess. GM was probably the worst, Toyota's and Hyundai's seemed to be swirled the least, but still had some visible under the lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the same thing last year.

Overall I was disappointed in the show so didn't bother going this year
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Auto Show Swirls

I'm going to the show this Friday, and I was excepting the same thing. I have gone for the last few years and the swirls are always there. If you watch long enough you will see guys with dry towels come around and try to wipe fingerprints off the cars throughout the day. It does nothing except grind the dust down into the paint causing swirls. Kinda stinks, but I doubt the show would be willing to pay someone with the knowledge to keep the cars looking good.

Quick story, I was there last year and I wore a hat with my detailing company logo on it. There was a guy trying to sell some fix all liquid that would remove swirls and wax in 10 second, or something like that. All I did was sit and listen and then walk away. I mean, who am I to ruin this guy's gig? Well, he decided to try and call me out as I walked away, saying if I were a pro I obviously used his products. I went back over, and put the led light from my phone up to his hood that he was testing on, and showed how under light all of the same swirls were still there, and all this product did was make them look shiny...he wasn't too thrilled...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed the same thing, doesnt surprise me though cause you have people walking around wiping all the cars off with the same microfiber towel.
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Looking to elevate my detailing skills from amateur to pro!

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO!!! Good for you Dave, especially after he called you out. He should have known not to do that.

I wonder if they'll showcase the Acura ILX...if they do please let me know. I'll go to the show just for the Acura cars.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to a ton of local car shows over the years...and frankly, lots of trophy winners have swirls abound...it seems to be more about the "bling", and not so much about the finish.

I used to try to remove all the swirls when preparing for local cars shows, but I'm sorry to say that I have found that a super good glaze that gives me tons of gloss and wetness gets me better results. (or to park the car in the shade at a show if its sunny out).
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

They showed a car on the news the other night. They zoomed in on a pillar (not sure what model car) and it Gucci on it in chrome. :-| <--- straight face.....for real?! Gucci?!?!
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the Houston Auto Show this past weekend and the worst offenders were the "DUB" group. Some were actually taken care of and swirl free but there were others that clearly had shiny wax put on top of swirls. Disappointing really, considering they spent a lot of money to get the car looking a certain way and not py attention to maintaining that finsh. Some of the cars even had greasy fingerprints and dirt everywhere on the inside, who shows their car off that way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    I'm going to the show this Friday, and I was excepting the same thing. I have gone for the last few years and the swirls are always there. If you watch long enough you will see guys with dry towels come around and try to wipe fingerprints off the cars throughout the day. It does nothing except grind the dust down into the paint causing swirls. Kinda stinks, but I doubt the show would be willing to pay someone with the knowledge to keep the cars looking good.

Quick story, I was there last year and I wore a hat with my detailing company logo on it. There was a guy trying to sell some fix all liquid that would remove swirls and wax in 10 second, or something like that. All I did was sit and listen and then walk away. I mean, who am I to ruin this guy's gig? Well, he decided to try and call me out as I walked away, saying if I were a pro I obviously used his products. I went back over, and put the led light from my phone up to his hood that he was testing on, and showed how under light all of the same swirls were still there, and all this product did was make them look shiny...he wasn't too thrilled...lol.
    That clown should have kept his mouth shut,that would have been the perfect time to hand out some of your buisness cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    That clown should have kept his mouth shut,that would have been the perfect time to hand out some of your buisness cards.
    Funny you mention that, two guys followed me to the next little area and asked for some more info. I got one detail out of it. I should find the snake oil salesman and thank him! LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast