autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 105 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Word of the Day

Maybe its just me but I think one of the most clever things I have ever seen is the word of the day calendar. If any of you have ever seen the revised and modernized version of "Alfie" you will know exactly what I am talking about. I know thats a chic-flick but I think its a good movie with beautiful girls so thats my justification!

Anyway, I love learning new words that enhance my ever-growing and pronounced vernacular which eludes and percludes ones idea that I am anything but intelligent and a master of my vocabulary.

... maybe I am alone on this and my trickery in trying to deceive the masses does not work. However, it makes me feel a little better inside when I can drop the occasional word here and there that have more then one syllable.

Just thinking out loud and after a full pot of coffee to myself of some of the best friggin' coffee in the world I am feeling a little spunky and thought I would express myself. So if anyone has any cool words they just learned or picked up recently, throw them up. Make sure to give me the definition because I am bad with trying to use cool words where they do not belong.

Oh and for what its worth, I got "vernacular" from an episode of the 3 stooges... even they can teach us something valuable! HAHA!
    Why was the Energizer Bunny arrested?... He was charged with battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Word of the Day

The bottom like is we all can and do learn with makes us a better person overall.

Learning is fun and easy and also boosts self esteem!

Cool post!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post

Cool post!!
    Well if you like it, maybe others might enjoy it as well. I thought it might have been a little corny and flaky.

I think each day I will post a new word up for everyones reading. I will do it for a while and see what the feedback is like. Why not, I would love to add more to the intellectual value of this site. I unfortunately do not know enough about the detailing of vehicles but if it can be in a different avenue, I am more then willing to share as long as others are interested in listening.

... I am going to go exploring for a cool and unusual word to start this thread off!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good one to start the day off...

Profligacy

Definition: 1. Reckless Extravagance
    2. Shameless dissoluteness
    3. Great Abundance
    Source: dictionary.com

Try to use this today and make it flow well in a sentence!

Post Thanks / Like

Ted's word of the day (referenced: Hegemony - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

Hegemony
    1. Preponderant influence or authority over others.
    2. The social, cultural, ideological, or economic influence exerted by a dominant group

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I like that, had to go to the link and get further explanation of that one haha!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll try and use it in a sentence:
    The two big political parties shift their hegemony over the economy from Pseudokeynesianism and Heyekian economics every time one party dominates congress.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see,

I have never witnessed more profligate times in the United States as I have in the past twenty years.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful idea you have!

-Actually, the way I see it, trying to learn, and then incorporating a new "word of the day" into ones everyday vocabulary usage is one way to keep the brain "fine-tuned".
    -It also should evoke a similar: I want-to-learn some of these "words of the day" emotion from those that are fortunate to be within 'learning-distance'.

-Such perspicacity upon your part!!

-I, too, appreciate those that can, as you say: "occasionally drop a word". But, although I cannot claim to be one, the findings of an etymologist, upon my new-word-discoveries, are of utmost interest to me, also.

-In my lifetime, there have been a few individuals whose knowledge and grasp of the English language has stood out as unique to me, as well as others.
    -They were considered to be the demi-gods of sesquipedalianists.:

William F. Buckley, Jr.
    William Safire
    Spiro T. Agnew

-But, as always, they had their detractors.

Quote from an antogonist of Buckley's:
    "A predilection by the self-serving intelligentsia to engage in the manifestation of prolix exposition through a loquacious disposition form of communication notwithstanding the availability of more comprehensible diminutive alternatives".

-But...I say to you...Do not allow the above description to deter you from your stated goal of attaining a new "word of the day"! It is a merit-worthy-goal...IMHO.
    -Pay no attention to the:
    "nattering nabobs of negativity" ~ Agnew/Safire

-With that being said, there are two items left to be discussed.

1.) Perclude: I've never seen/heard this word being used outside of a Court of Law [Judges rulings, Lawyer-speak, etc....Don't ask me how I know]. Interesting to see you use it in your original post!

2.) New "word-of-the-day" (hopefully it's "Detailer" oriented):

Pedalfar.
    "While harvesting the leaves of the Copernicia cerifera palm, surely the cost savings of procuring pedalfar, during the same harvesting sessions, has been duly calculated".
    Pedalfar.

Please forgive my ramblings, if you deem necessary....Just a few random thoughts I had on a Sunday afternoon.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

FUNX725, your replies are always meticulous and concise and are always a welcoming addition.

The word-of-the-day you contributed was awesome. I will try to make them detail oriented. It will be challenging but I think would be forum-appropriate.

Page 1 of 105 123456789101151101 ... LastLast