autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Need advice, motor knocking

Ugh... I've got a couple of cars that I've bought and am trying to flip. The car is question is a 97 Chevy Lumina V6 (3100 motor) with 221,000 miles.

I've put 2,000 miles on it since I got it (meant to sell it quickly, but that's a long story for another thread). I did a motor flush and changed the oil as soon as I got it, and it's been running great. Smooth, quiet, no knocking, good power, etc... way better than you would expect from a car with 221k miles. So yesterday I noticed that it was a quart low on oil. No leaks in the driveway, so it's burning a quart every 2k miles. Instead of using motor oil, I put in some Lucas oil stabilizer- stops leaks, improves lubricity, etc... Well I was pouring it from a gallon jug, and ended up over-filling by about a quart. No big deal, as I never cranked the car with it over-filled. The drain plug is rounded off, so I ran a thin hose down the diptick tube, and sucked a quart of oil/Lucas out, leaving it at the proper level. This morning, when I crank the car for the first time (headed home from work) the engine is knocking...HARD. Super loud knocking, and it goes away after the engine reaches operating temperature. It never knocked AT ALL before this morning. I drive home from work, let it cool, and check it again. Same thing. Knocks really loud until it reaches operating temp, then quiets down. My first thought is that the motor was probably already pretty gunked up and putting that thick Lucas in it clogged some of the oil pathways, not allowing the oil to get to where it needs to be, so I drop a quart of motor flush in it and run it for 20 min (hoping to clear out any clogged oil pathways), then change the oil/filter, and drop in some 10w40. No help. It's still knocking BAD at start up, then quieting down when it gets to operating temp. I can open the oil filler cap on the valve cover and see 2 valve springs. With the motor running (at idle and at 2000rpm) I don't see ANY oil movement in there. There's a small puddle of STANDING oil between the valve springs, but it's not flowing/moving at all. Is it supposed to be?

My mechanic is out of town till Monday night, and this car is advertised for sale now, so I gotta figure out if this is something I can save, or if the motor is shot.

Why did it suddenly start knocking hard, out of no where? Was it the Lucas? Did I mess something up running a hose down the drain tube? More importantly, is this easily/cheaply fixable?

It's been a great weekend....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice, motor knocking

Are you sure you got that extra quart of oil out?

This SUCKS!
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

If I can remember correctly, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is an oil additive. I don't think it is meant to be used as a standalone oil for your engine. I would drain everything in the engine, put back in some synthetic engine oil and add some of the oil stabilizer with it.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Gordon. I definitely got the oil down to the proper level. I saw how much I pulled out, plus I checked the dipstick. Also, since then, I've drained everything and changed the oil, but it didn't do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    If I can remember correctly, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is an oil additive. I don't think it is meant to be used as a standalone oil for your engine. I would drain everything in the engine, put back in some synthetic engine oil and add some of the oil stabilizer with it.
    You're right. I used it as an additive. The motor was a quart low on oil, so I threw in the Lucas on top of the 4 quarts or so of oil that was already in the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc11291 View Post
    You're right. I used it as an additive. The motor was a quart low on oil, so I threw in the Lucas on top of the 4 quarts or so of oil that was already in the motor.
    I'd imagine when you did this you clogged up a channel

I would continue to drive it and hope for the best

Don't do a motor flush again on a car with that many miles
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

opie_7afe

if its using oil then you probably have oil leaking into the cylinders a car will use some oil between changes but not much if its in tip top shape. doing motor flushes too often is not a good thing, my guess is the bearings are worn and when it reaches operating temp the metal expands calming the knock. i would use a mechanics stethascope on the engine block and see whats going on at start up, also might help to put a bore scope into the spark plug holes to see how the cylinder walls and pistons look. also check the compression.also check the coolant to see if you have any oil in there.diagnosing stuff like this is like a wild goose chase some times......i have almost same issue except mine is in transmission, sounds like crap until it warms up. good luck with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc11291 View Post

Oh, I read your original post incorrectly. Sorry about that. Hopefully you can figure out what is wrong and fix it before someone comes to look at it.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    Oh, I read your original post incorrectly. Sorry about that. Hopefully you can figure out what is wrong and fix it before someone comes to look at it.
    If someone calls, tell them you are at work untill you get this sorted out

Post Thanks / Like

Sure sounds like you plugged something up. Try a pint of Marvel Mystery oil it should unplug for you.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark58 View Post
    Sure sounds like you plugged something up. Try a pint of Marvel Mystery oil it should unplug for you.
    Good Stuff!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast