autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Calling customers "Clients"

FunX said it best.
    I go with clients. I think it's more personal. A grocery store has customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this turned into quite a discussion! I can see everyones point of view for sure. Heres mine! I've got "customers" that i've had for years and will continue to do work for them. I've even become friends with a lot of them. When discussing work i've never felt i've needed to use the word client. To me it just seems like its an attempt to glorify what we do. Sure polishing is specialized work, but when it comes to interiors the only reason we make money doing that is because most people are too lazy to do it themselves! Don't get me wrong, I like detailing, i'm good at it, I have a good reputation and long term customers, but at the end of the day I just don't feel the need to sugar coat what it is I actually do for a living! I'm not going to be telling someone that I cleaned a vehicle for a client that liked to place boogers on his drivers seat, no i'm going to say I cleaned a car for a disgusting pig today!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I feel as if I've failed unless they consider me FAMILY

One thing I notice alot, is when MY customers...urrrr clients, wait, Family see me approach them they smile real big

On the other hand. I had a lady about 10 years ago ask her husband "Is he still washing cars?" when I was standing right outside their door waiting on the keys. Funny thing is, now he is in federal prison for stealing millions of dollars and their house was forclosed on. Its a b*tch how karma works sometimes
    Thanks Flash.... Being part of the Family is more of a heartfelt description than, say a Friend. (Although in every family there are some "unfriendly times" that can occur )

Washing Cars:
    It's sad that no matter how successful someone becomes in their business, whatever it is, there will be detractors/nay-sayers.
    Why is it that "Detailers" are often just referred to as car-washers? Many, many reasons could be discussed here, although, most of those reasons have been talked about on various forums for years.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

via Google = "Customer - A person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or other business."

via DLB = Client - A repeat customer.

I agree with FUNX pretty well though.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle007 View Post
    I'm not going to be telling someone that I cleaned a vehicle for a client that liked to place boogers on his drivers seat, no i'm going to say I cleaned a car for a disgusting pig today!
    I am saddened, but not too surprised, to see that you feel that way about people that pay good money for your services. Do you really believe that these "disgusting pig" vehicle owners can't sense that you feel this way about them? That when they show up for their detail session, your facial expressions/body language is not a dead give-away?

Here's a prime example of what I was referring to in an earlier post. And that is:
    Most people consider "Detailers" to be merely lowly car-washers.

IMO...No mutual respect.

A Detailer's job is not to respect the condition of a vehicle. Rather it should be to "inspect"..then to clean/detail the vehicle [even if it means that there has to be a "disinfect" (pig sty) process, if one so desires to do so, that is].
    A Detailer should respect the owner of a vehicle....they are human beings after all....and, they're bringing their vehicle to you. That's got to mean something. Good or Bad.

Here's my take on it:

The "a disgusting pig" is one description often said about vehicle owners. A Detailer gets paid for this type of clean-up...without them...their pay-scale would diminish. It's usually something a "disgusting pig" vehicle owner doesn't relish doing...That's why they come to you....To perform a "disgusting" duty they probably feel is beneath their dignity....But not yours! No Respect shown there, if that's being the case!

I know it would have to be a severe blow to a Detailer's pride/ego if they found out a "digusting pig" vehicle owner felt that a person (Detailer)that would actually "Detail" their "disgusting pig" vehicle is indeed:

-Nothing more than a car-washer....Just a tiny, glorified step above being a "shoe-shine-boy" on the "corporate/business" ladder-structure, in their way of thinking perhaps! No Respect would be shown there either!

And as you stated:
    "but at the end of the day I just don't feel the need to sugar coat what it is I actually do for a living....I cleaned a car for a disgusting pig today!"
    No respect shown there either!

How to gain that mutual respect has been disclosed in this thread, and others....no need for me to be redundant, then.

-Yes, you have stated how you feel about some vehicle owners.
    -But...Even if I would feel this way about anyone, for any reason, I would never publicize it...Probably wouldn't be good for business (leads/customers/clients); or perhaps, even personal safety.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why but I seem to think of a customer as someone who is purchasing a product. And a client as someone purchasing a service.

But to mean I don't car what you call your clients, customers, patients, whatever. As long as their happy with you and your work I don't think it really matters. It'll come through in your work how you really feel about them
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Washing Cars:

It's sad that no matter how successful someone becomes in their business, whatever it is, there will be detractors/nay-sayers.
    Why is it that "Detailers" are often just referred to as car-washers? Many, many reasons could be discussed here, although, most of those reasons have been talked about on various forums for years.

Bob
    I think its because they don't know any better. I don't think it was anything personal at all. At least I didn't take it that way. Well, maybe I did for the first 8 years, but after that I forgave her

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

To be clear, the disgusting pig comment was my way of lightening things up! I don't bad mouth customers or shame them for having dirty vehicles, that is stupid. I do the work, they are happy with the end results and I get paid for the job. I started this topic simply because I have found the whole "client" thing humorous and I was curious as to the reasoning behind it. Like i've said, I like detailing, I wouldn't have been doing it for as long as I have if I didn't. I guess I've never had the mentality that this line of work is serious business like say the medical profession for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle007 View Post
    To be clear, the disgusting pig comment was my way of lightening things up! I don't bad mouth customers or shame them for having dirty vehicles, that is stupid. I do the work, they are happy with the end results and I get paid for the job. I started this topic simply because I have found the whole "client" thing humorous and I was curious as to the reasoning behind it. Like i've said, I like detailing, I wouldn't have been doing it for as long as I have if I didn't. I guess I've never had the mentality that this line of work is serious business like say the medical profession for example.

and understand what you meant. Its not my customers...urrr, clients, who are disgusting, it's their children who are filthy, disgusting little pigs
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    and understand what you meant. Its not my customers...urrr, clients, who are disgusting, it's their children who are filthy, disgusting little pigs
    Thank you! Haha yes kids can make a detail project an unpleasant one! Sometimes i feel like I should be wearing a hazmat suit when doing jobs like that!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast