autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 100 of 176 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1754
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post Your Beading Shots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

If an lsp is at risk of leaving water spots in that situation there’s major problems.
    You said it, Ric.

That nasty Tropical Storm yesterday left my truck looking awful. (A little rain, 70+mph winds kicking up all kinds of dirt/debris, and all while the sun came back out to bake it on.)

I just did a RW tonight, and bingo. Good as new with zero water spots.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes DMiglio, Eldorado2k, Autobahnd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never really experienced any hard water spots or etching before regardless of my LSP.

Unfortunately where I live now has extremely hard water and an automatic sprinkler system. They go off twice a week at 8am and if my car gets hit by them, it makes for a busy day for me taking care of the spots.

If the water is baking on the car for less than an hour or so, I count myself blessed that they’ll easily wash off... if it sits much longer then that, I’m breaking out my polisher, a few pads and an AIO..
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

4. Likes Autobahnd liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    This is what my lsp [sealant] looks like after it rains.

It could bake dry in the sun the next morning and there wouldn’t be even a slight chance of leaving water spots and if the car happened to be dirty at the time it rained everything would easily wipe away clean.

If an lsp is at risk of leaving water spots in that situation there’s major problems.

Haha I mean water spots that don't come out after washing are easily the #1 reason for ceramic coating callbacks. Sure, if you wash your car relatively soon the water spots should come right out, but that's not always the case and it's not realistic to expect every customer to baby their coating either.

You can go to the local auto store and buy a $10 product that makes your car bead. I'll never understand the fascination.

The best part is professionals like Mike Phillips will routinely talk about how beading is terrible for your car, yet they'll still hype up products that create beading. Makes no sense to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahnd View Post
    Haha I mean water spots that don't come out after washing are easily the #1 reason for ceramic coating callbacks. Sure, if you wash your car relatively soon the water spots should come right out, but that's not always the case and it's not realistic to expect every customer to baby their coating either.

You can go to the local auto store and buy a $10 product that makes your car bead. I'll never understand the fascination.

The best part is professionals like Mike Phillips will routinely talk about how beading is terrible for your car, yet they'll still hype up products that create beading. Makes no sense to me
    Sounds more like a downfall of ceramic coatings than traditional waxes and sealants, if you ask me.

There’s also plenty of members on this forum with ceramic coatings that haven’t ever had an issue with water spots on their coatings.

I’ve never had water spot issues with polymer sealants that produce tremendous beading, and my car used to sit outside at all times. Yet i get to enjoy the ease of washing and drying a hydrophobic product offers, because they’re not terrible for anyone’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the logic then, beading for cars that are garaged, because they only get wet when they are being driven, sheeting for cars parked outside, so it runs off while they sit in the rain?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Is this the logic then, beading for cars that are garaged, because they only get wet when they are being driven, sheeting for cars parked outside, so it runs off while they sit in the rain?

I would genuinely like someone to put a product that sheets on their hood next to a product that’s extremely hydrophobic and leave their car in a rainstorm.

In my experience it makes no difference, and they both end up with plenty of water on the surface to cause water spots.

I’ve seen plenty of people talk about how great sheeting products are for preventing water spots, but I just call it nonsense. Sprinklers and rain water aren’t flooding your horizontal panels causing the water to slide off.

Even if they were, the edge would go to hydrophobic products because they also sheet better when flooded with water.

9. Likes PaulMys, DMiglio, CleanIT liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I would genuinely like someone to put a product that sheets on their hood next to a product that’s extremely hydrophobic and leave their car in a rainstorm.

In my experience it makes no difference, and they both end up with plenty of water on the surface to cause water spots.

I’ve seen plenty of people talk about how great sheeting products are for preventing water spots, but I just call it nonsense. Sprinklers and rain water aren’t flooding your horizontal panels causing the water to slide off.

Even if they were, the edge would go to hydrophobic products because they also sheet better when flooded with water.

In my opinion there's two options. Be one lucky SOB and live in an area without hard water lol, or use a product that's more like a traditional wax. The logic being a traditional wax will take the sacrificial brunt of water spotting and then easily wipe off, taking the water spot etching with it. These chemical resistant sealants you see on YouTube these days are the exact opposite of what you want with hard water. The only way you can remove those from your car are with really harsh chemicals

11. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got DDJ Iron Gloss on the vinyl wrapped part of my hood, as a test. The vinyl is already mud stained, so it can't make it any worse. I didn't realize it was a sheeting product till after I bought it. First rain since I applied it is due tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahnd View Post
    These chemical resistant sealants you see on YouTube these days are the exact opposite of what you want with hard water. The only way you can remove those from your car are with really harsh chemicals
    These are not sold on AutoGeek, and that's why we do not discuss (or have problems) with them........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with Finick, give me the most hydrophobic LSP as it tends to work best anytime I, you, we have to touch our paint.

I’d say in very rare cases you’ll end up with spots from rain(think a light drizzle) but almost always it’s just the droplets pulling dirt and dust together into a small round circle which easily washes away. Maybe certain climates or environments could make this a more common occurrence than I’ve ever seen?

Anytime I’ve experienced etched in spots it’s always from sprinklers or hose with hard water drying on surface. I’m sure this would be a problem no matter the LSP and even no LSP.

I’d imagine it’d be tough for a sheeting LSP to combat this issue as it would work similarly to a dead flat no LSP vehicle. It’d be a large flat surface of water with the mineral deposits accumulating at the edges of the panels and possibly creating an overall duller finish across the panel because essentially the whole panel is on big “giant water spot” as opposed to thousands of smaller spots we tend to see.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 100 of 176 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110150 ... LastLast