autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XM Radio

Post Thanks / Like

XM Radio

This is what I got paid to do on my car at work today. I know that sounds bad, but we were freakin slow and I was bored and already cleaned the shop up like three times, and I seem to spend money when I'm bored. So I bought and xm unit, I've been wanting to get it for a while. This unit isn't the greates, but it was cheap and fit were I wanted to put it. And no I didn't put the antenna ont he paint, its mounted up in the corner between the winow and dash, works just as good. I did this in about an hour, took my time, I have the audio directly wired into an auxillary input on my radio, no FM modulation, sounds a hell of a lot better. It only cost me $30 for the unit, and $24 for setup and the first month of subscribsion. CHeck the pics.

Know you see it!

Know you don't!
    Last edited by Excessive Detail; 02-06-2007 at 12:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is SLICK!!! XM radio is cool, my dad has it, but I haven't played around with it much. When I have, it was pretty nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think that I've got the same glasses case. Is that an Expedition? Anyway, fits good.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG that is the best set up ive ever seen i hate it when u have it just sitting there on your dash.... I saw a truck once with it mounted up by the rearview mirror i liked that but that is so much better...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33
    OMG that is the best set up ive ever seen i hate it when u have it just sitting there on your dash.... I saw a truck once with it mounted up by the rearview mirror i liked that but that is so much better...
    NUKE, Nah I'm JK man -Nice setup and great install !!!! I did all hiding of the wires and have the unit attached to the vent. It has a built in FM transmitter so it was a pretty easy install. XM is great and can't get enough of the decade stations 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s... Always something different playing!! Don't forget 5 comedy stations

Last edited by ehuth1; 02-06-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got Sirius for Christmas and installed it in my Mazda6, although I put it in place of the ashtray instead of the sunglass holder (I think with the sunglass holder open it blocks the rearview mirror).

I got the AuxMod which hooks up to the head unit for a direct connect (a card that interfaces with the head unit, avoiding the FM modulator), sounds phenomenal. I installed a splitter off the AuxMod to hook up my mp3 player. I told my wife I may never have to listen to another commercial again

Here's the tuner, I ended up putting the remote next to it on velcro. Thought a remote for it was silly, but use it ALL the time. Much easier to keep the eyes on the road while controlling the tuner:

Here's the mp3 player in the cupholder, just saw how bad the console needed cleaning :

And lastly the antenna, which I ran thru the rear windshield washer and of course had to paint to match the vehichle color (with three coats of clear )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie
    Think that I've got the same glasses case. Is that an Expedition? Anyway, fits good.
    Actually it's a Mazda6 (could also tell by the overhead console plus his avatar), which is kind of a Ford anyway so wouldn't be surprised if parts such as an overhead console are shared. Definitely a nice fit as you stated. I was shooting for my tuner to be covered by the ashtray lid, but it was too big and I had to take the lid off entirely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Excessive Detail
    I did this in about an hour, took my time, I have the audio directly wired into an auxillary input on my radio, no FM modulation, sounds a hell of a lot better.
    Excessive Detail, do tell----how did you hook it up to your auxilliary input on your radio? I too am looking to do this but I'm not sure how. RCA's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dengood1
    Excessive Detail, do tell----how did you hook it up to your auxilliary input on your radio? I too am looking to do this but I'm not sure how. RCA's?
    Sorryit took me so long to reply to ya. Basically, every stand alone unit has an audio output on it, its usually small and requires a mini jack plug, like that used on headphones. This output can be used for headphones, fm modulator, meanin the audio output is wired to a box that goes between the antenna and radio unit, not wireless. What I did was take a set of rca's with a mini jack plug on the end, then extended the rca side with rca barrel connectors and 16ft long rca, I then ran it my aftermarket head uint that has an auxillary input for sound and video, of course I just used the audio part. All I have to do is switch source on the headunit to the aux input and the xm plays through, it sounds a lot better than doing through the antenna, but the like I said the unit isn't the best, so the sound quality isn't as good as it could be.

Now not all aftermarket radios have an aux input like mine, but they do have a an input specifically for sat radio, this way you get the best sound quality and you can control all the sat radio functions through the radio itself, unlike mine were i still have to use the unit for controll. This way is more expensive, but everything is hidden, not visible parts for the xm except for the headunit, I could have gone this way with mine, but my radio only accepts sirius units and I like xm better.

Sorry its so long, but that the basics, let me know if you have any other questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast