autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation mechanical question

Hey guys, here's a question for those of you who are mechanically minded (I am not one of those people, hence the question). My fuel pump has been acting up for the past year or so, and I have had to replace it a few times. I actually got it replaced in July 2010, then again in October, then again about 3 weeks ago or so. Fortunately, both the parts and labor are/were under labor, so I didn't have to pay for the second and third replacements. I knew my car was having an issue, because it would make a whistling sound when it got good and warmed up, sounding sort of like a tea pot whistling. The sound was similar to this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RpLkTwhAcM]Fuel Pump Whine - YouTube[/video]

It will not make the sound when the car is turned off, when the engine is cold, or when the key is in accessory mode in the ignition. The fuel filter has been replaced each time the fuel pump was replaced. I had been filling up my car with premium gas from Kroger or Weigel's, and just a few weeks ago made the switch to regular unleaded from BP, thinking that maybe I was running my fuel a bit rich for my engine. That seemed to do the trick for a couple of weeks, until today, after I had gone on a bit of a drive, my car was making the same whistling noise again. By the way, the sound is unmistakably coming from the rear of the car. My car is a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL, 3.1 L V6 engine, 143,000 plus miles, and currently has a Carter brand fuel pump on it. Any ideas as to what's going here? I'm stumped and annoyed with this situation.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mechanical question

My guess is your fuel pump is not actually your problem. There might be something causing the fuel pump to fail. 3 in such a short period of time is suspicious. This is just a shot in the air, but perhaps the whistling is coming from the fuel pump, but it might be caused by an electrical issue, maybe to much voltage? I would also check the fuel lines themselves, make sure they are not blocked or damaged. A good mechanic should be able to trouble shoot rather than just continue replacing the pump. You should have added its the cleanest and shinyest Cierra left on the planet!

Post Thanks / Like

Shane I have to ask where did the first few pumps come from? Sometimes after market pumps are not going to cut it.( this is from experience). It may cost a few more $ but a replacement from Gm may be in order.

With the pump sounding like that as the car gets warmed up its just a matter of time and it will fail.

I know what your thinking....gezz Tim the gm pump is 300+ and i can get one at Autozone for 95 but sometimes my friend you get what you pay for.

There are certian things that I will not buy from after market dealers( AZ,Advance,Orielliys etc. etc.) and thats electrical componants that pertain to the running of the engine.Ive been there done that to many times and have learned a good lesson.

If you were alitte bit closer I would say bring it over we'll get fixed in no time.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dad07, after 3 aftermarket alternators for a Pontiac Grand Prix, we went with a GM part, worked great. Go with the GM part, might solve your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I would highly suggest an OEM pump. The aftermarket ones are 1/4th of the price because the quality isn't there. I have been down this road and refuse to put anything but OEM pumps in.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

After spending many years as a GM tech, one thing is for sure, their pumps tend to get noisy. They get louder with heat, particularly outside temp.

If you purchased an aftermarket, I would recommend what dad said and buy the GM.

The only othe tip I can give is to make sure you fill at 1/4 tank. The gas also acts as an insulator and keeps the pump running cool.

None of my vehicles get below 1/4 tank and all still have the original pumps in them and not one vehicle has less than 155,000 miles on them.
    Good luck and hope you get it repaired.