autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poll: Pictures or Videos in Show and Shines

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I think this is a key point. Not directed at you, Garry, but anyone who does a video review.

Fair enough.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I think your videos are very informing to those who are looking to learn. Ppl are photochopping the crap out of their pics anyway, so who really knows (or cares) how a car really turned out

Give me 59 seconds of video
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

If a person wants to take the additional time it takes to add photo's to review, in addition to a video, it certainly couldn't hurt the review, only enhance it.

However, for those of us sitting back and watching, it's easy to forget about the time it takes to write and well written, and quality review or show-n-tell.

Just today there were several threads started showing only finished cars. These cars were started so we could hear the engines. I loved them, but they didn't provide any information to teach a newbie how the final job was accomplished. I'm not knocking them, just taking them at face value for what they were. They were to show off finalized work. After seeing so many cars in different threads, by the same person posting them, I realized that they be so busy that they don't have time to write a review. They may not like to write, they may not have the ability to write, they may even be embarrassed to write because they don't have confidence to.

We have to recognize a persons ability and give credit where it's due. Not everyone has the same ability as Mike Phillips who's a multi-talented individual. He's a person who can do the work, write a great article, and then turn around and teach a person how to do it all while breaking things down into baby steps for people. That takes a tremendous amount of talent, and especially time. Some people aren't speed freaks when they type. I type, think about it, delete it, type it again, erase it again and well, you get the point.

As far as Gary's videos, or anyone else's, I enjoy them all. I do, however, disagree that the same quality can't be reached, it merely leaves the screen quicker. Long before this thread was posted the pause button worked great for me and it still does. Sure, good photos have a place, as does a quality video, but they each are different and as individual as the cars themselves.

Here's another thing to consider about a video. It's easy to give information in a real time setting vs. trying not to forget to type some important information. Being able to give information in real time is a huge step and in reality photos are so...well, yesterday. The photos are also all some of us can do without additional equipment. Sure, photos would be great in a review, and even in a show-n-tell, but it's additional time for an already extremely busy detailer. At least hopefully they're busy.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with stating a dislike of something and writing it in a thread. Nothing wrong wih healthy discussions, as they lead to progress.

JMHO.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    . I do, however, disagree that the same quality can't be reached, it merely leaves the screen quicker. Long before this thread was posted the pause button worked great for me and it still does.

Hey Bill,

Yes, the pause button does exist, but you still can't get the quality of detail from a video(even HD) like you can from still pictures, IMO.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbin1 View Post
    Because your videos are not showing before, during and after results. You also are not going to capture the quality that you would with a decent camera.

Well you may have the "during" part (showing Gary working) correct, but I can tell you Gary is extremely busy and in all fairness that takes up alot of extra time. If he's the only person there, exactly how would he take the "during" part of the video? Sure, a tripod, you may be thinking. Something else to worry about. That would remove his mind from what he's really supposed to be doing. Just another viewpoint.

For anyone to say they don't see before and after results is unfair to Gary in my humble opinion. If you'll take the time to take another look at Gary's work you'll notice he provides 50/50 shots in each video. Surely you folks will acknowledge seeing those, and that they do provide a look at a before and after. Those close-ups with the Brinkman are a simultaneous before and after for us to see what correction was made. They are also a testament to Gary's work. Again, surely you noticed those parts of the videos.

I don't personally know Gary, but I have seen several of his videos, and I've talked with him by phone 1 time...for 40 minutes while he was breathing hard detailing a car. The whole time he was giving me business tips...being a good citizen, paying it forward, while maintaining his sweat. Lazy? Don't think so!!!!!

Gary, I suppose your going to have to step it up a notch and not only be a professional detailer, but also become a professional director and editor of films. Lol!

Again, Gary's stated that he has acknowledged that photos would add value to his work, but let's not be over-critical here. I personally take them for what they are, good videos.

These guys, any and all of them who provide this type of information for us, don't have to pour their heart and soul into this like they do just so we can sit back and discuss whether or not we like what they're doing. It's all to our benefit.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures are my preferred medium.

I tend to skip over videos because I don't want to wait for them to load, or I'm in an area where sound isn't appropriate and they don't allow me to look- pausing the video is rather annoying.

Videos have their place for showing some things like product demos, but in a show 'n shine, pictures please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse any grammatical errors
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely prefer looking at pictures more than videos. I enjoy reading or looking at a detail show of as if it was an article or a journal entry.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Hey Bill,

Yes, the pause button does exist, but you still can't get the quality of detail from a video(even HD) like you can from still pictures, IMO.

Hi Mark,

Hope things are well man.

In all honesty I don't have the knowledge to prove or disprove your comments. Quality of detail seems highly subjective though. I can only say that videos from most people here, if not all, at least from my end, have been great. Especially Gary's.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I like both personally. To me it is more about the skill of the person doing the write up/talking/taping/photographing. Some one who is poor at any of those is just gonna have a poor write up. I see a LOT of doctored photos in write ups. Colors are changed etc etc. One thing I love about photo is 50/50 shots. it is very easy with photos to compare before and after with them being next to each other. However with video you can do a 50/50 of a panel and move over that panel to get multiple lighting effects to truly show off the panel.

It is the same with product reviews. They can be good or bad in either format.

Garry's video write up are probably the best I have seen so far.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy Garry's videos, no doubt. I appreciate his hard work. My whole point behind this is, the detail of a video cannot rival that of a picture. I'm not nitpicking, just stating an opinion. Thanks for all the videos, Garry!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast