autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often do you change your oil?

Quote Originally Posted by GMC View Post
    i switched to synthetic first oil change. i usually run syn, for 6-7k miles. but my GMC has a oil life monitor. i read up on it, and it is very accurate at what it does. so after the last oil change, i reset it. i will be going by this from now on in.
    I use Mobile 1 10W30 and change oil about every 5,000 miles to save money from a life altering change. That said, I still prefer to change it about every 2500-3000 miles.

I always figured if Mobile 1 is good enough for a Corvette, it's good enough for my Buick Regal GS.

Now on this monitor thing...my monitor reads no different than when I used regular Valvoline oil. I mean the percentages read the same at about the same mileage. This leads me to believe that the montior is set-up based on miles, and doesn't actually monitor the oil itself. I could certainly be wrong, but that's what I've observed...monitor reading the same and certain mileage intervals.

If someone has information and can provide something to back it up I'd certainly appreciate knowing it, since my observation could be way off.

If some of you go strictly by the monitor now, at what percentage do you change your oil?

Post Thanks / Like

How many of you do it yourself/take it someplace to get done?

I know how to change my oil, but I never do. Do you guys find it a hassle to deal with the old oil/filter? Do you recycle it the same day or store it?

Thats the only thing stopping me from doing to myself.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

here is the in depth read on the GMC oil life monitor. at least for my canyon.

info on GM oil life monitor - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I use mobile 1 every 7500 miles per my factory maintanence schedule.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    OP: What's your oil change schedule? What's your Garage Queen?

Bob
    My garage queen is nothing fancy - just a 2007 jeep wrangler. Its primary purpose is running around town on nice sunny days. In fact, I've only had the top on for less than 1 week in the three years that I've owned it, and that 1 week was only because my wife tried to back her suburban out of the garage with the hatch open, and we therefore needed the jeep to be a daily driver during the repairs.

I only average about 1000 miles per year on the jeep, and I've been changing the oil once per year (with synthetic). I know I'm not putting too many miles per oil change, but I'm not sure that only changing once per year is good enough.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

My BMW's are on a factory interval of every 15K, full synthetic. That being said I do interim changes on my dime every 7500 myself again full synthetic Castrol. Once off warranty I do them still at every 7500 but use Mobil 1 simply becasue it's easier to source. Last 3 BMW's all went over 170K on the clock before I sold them, other than current car my last one is till one the road driven by my son 173K never had the head off, original clutch, only maintenance and fluids. I do gearbox's and diffs at 50K full synthetic, brake fluid every set of front brakes and coolant every 50K. Has worked for me for the last 19 years of owning them so why switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    How many of you do it yourself/take it someplace to get done?

I know how to change my oil, but I never do. Do you guys find it a hassle to deal with the old oil/filter? Do you recycle it the same day or store it?

Thats the only thing stopping me from doing to myself.
    I can usually get my oil changed for less than $20. Time is money, so there's no chance I'm baking or freezing under my car and then dealing with the hassle of recycling the old oil, just to save a dollar or two. There's a time and place to be a DIY'er; but to me, oil changes isn't one of them.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I change it most of the time every 2500-3000 miles and air filter every 2-3 oil changes...never had engine problems. I buy the oil at Costco usually the cheapest around and it last me 3 oil changes...great deal.
    Accomplishment and success are often the result of commitment and perseverance rather than skill or talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSVT View Post
    I can usually get my oil changed for less than $20.
    Oil changed for $20 huh? What brand and how many quarts? You won't change Mobile 1 for that price, and I'm not even sure you can change Valvoline for that price either, even doing it yourself.

I'm south east of you by about 3 1/2-4 hours and $20 oil changes are long gone. That said, I agree with the rest of your comments about a time and place to be a DIYer, and is the reason I let Wal-Mart change my oil now. I can't buy the filter and oil, Valvoline, or Mobile 1 for $20.
    Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erock View Post
    Its a very subjective thing to talk about. Oils these days are sythetic and more durable than they were years ago. I tend to change my oil every 500 miles...but im a freak. I cant stand the thought of waiting 2000 miles or more....and it only costs like $20-30 dollars if you do it yourself....so i tend to overchange on the safe side....plus I love that little boost in power with fresh oil!!
    Changing your oil too often will shorten the life of your engine. Ideal OCI is to have your oil analyzed and change it right before it has worn out.

Testing has proven wear metals produced per mile goes down the longer the OCI but goes up when the oil is done. UOA testing is the only way to dial this in. This is why OEM's have increased there recommended OCI. Dan

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast