autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Molded seat backing foam?

How do you clean this stuff? I'm talkig the yellow molded foam inside the seat. Trying to clean this stuff up to take some of the funk out of my Bronco II; one of the seats had green mold spores on it, so I threw the actuall upholstry away. There is some rust on the actual foam, but I'm really wanting to get the stink off without trapping water in the foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Molded seat backing foam?

Mold likes warm dark moist places. If you can remove the foam from the SUV, spray some chlorine (I started to type chloroform, he he don't mind me I'm from Orlando) bleach like Clorox and set it in the sun.

A stronger substitute for Clorox is chlorine liquid from a pool supply place. Be very careful with this stuff. Don't get any on ya. Wring any excess out and set it in the sun.

A substitute to chlorine is some sort of citrus cleaner. That's just citrus acid. It works, but is more difficult to use.

If ya can kill the mold, yur done. It doesn't matter if any residue is left cause it'll be covered. Any mold that dies should turn some shade of white.

Post Thanks / Like

Salvage yard
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Spray with some vinegar maybe 50/50 mix with water. The vinegar will kill off the stuff that is causing the smell. I've used it on carpet and it worked well.

Really you could use just about anything as long as you let it dry completely.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Sorry the question probably wasn't clear enough. The foam is molded as in "it was molded to a form", shaped. No mold as I can see penetrated the upholstry. I will used clorox, I think it will rid the smell quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

You were perfectly clear to me....thats why I'm sticking with my original response for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Thanks guys. Sorry the question probably wasn't clear enough. The foam is molded as in "it was molded to a form", shaped. No mold as I can see penetrated the upholstry. I will used clorox, I think it will rid the smell quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Salvage yard

^
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    You were perfectly clear to me....thats why I'm sticking with my original response for the win!

^
    Get another one? The only reason I consider keeping it is because I called a couple auto re-upholstry places, and they all told me the foam backing is hard to replace....

Post Thanks / Like

If it's molded then yes it is. It's not imposable but it's difficult. My father does upholstery and you should see some the seats out of old classics he has done. One I helped him with was a 71 Olds cutlass. There was no cover on the driver side and the foam was gone on the seat porton. We had to buy a sheet of foam and form it to the way the original would have been and then reproduce the cover using the destroyed one as a pattern.