autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am very upset over this

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. everyone should take their license test with a manual transmission vehicle.

Cameras automatically sending tickets is outrageously stupid. I agree that it is an invasion of privacy. The government doesn't need to be watching citizens all the time. Last time I checked, I pay taxes so the road is partially mine right? As others have already stated, the government has these cameras, speed traps, etc. all too collect a profit.

Take the Autobahn for example.. no speed limit on the majority of it and LESS accidents then U.S. roads that have a speed limit. People just don't know how to drive. Maybe instead of 16 as the legal driving limit, bump it up to 18 with a manual transmission, 3 pedals. Now after you eliminate all of the people who don't abide. Boom, your left with people who can actually drive and ENJOY driving. So many people act as if driving is a crime and complain about it.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been numerous studies shown where these cameras increase accidents since some people feel the need to stop suddenly. I have not been in an accident because of these cameras, but I know of several instances where it has happened or almost happened right in front of me. This is all a money ploy.

Post Thanks / Like

Speed cameras and red light cameras suck!

Its a money maker and nothing more. You dont even know you did anything wrong until about 30 days later.

They are everywhere in Maryland and often not even marked. I have received 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

All I would like to add is:

I agree with Bill in that: Any infringement on my need to speed should be outlawed!

Over and above that, in my case, I consider it also to be healthy.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    MLB I appreciate you taking the time to post, though I feel very differently about the subject, as you already noticed.

Grouping speeding in with dangerous driving habits (rolling stops, passing on solid lines etc) is apples and oranges to me.

Speeding is rarely a contributing factor to accidents, distracted driving is far more dangerous IMO.

The autobahn has one of the best road safety records around, however, the culture does not tolerate distracted or entitled drivers that refuse to yield to faster moving cars.

There is always a conflict of interest with the revenue generated when the money goes back into the coffers of the individuals doing the enforcement.

Also in the link that BorisC posted, there are a number of studies that prove that the cameras do nothing to change the driving habits, so in reality studies have proven that the only thing that is accomplished is revenue generation.

Speed Camera Studies
    I have to take a look at the articles mentioned but I do know that a UK study showed the opposite but a company against speed cameras just took things, turned them completely around, and lied about the results.

As far a speed not adding to accidents. Please feel free to link to any proof of this. I can certainly give links and video showing it is. Sorry, common sense would indicate this as well. The autobaun is a different animal than other locations. Fewer vehicles, no traffic and rules of the road are strictly enforced.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the book written by George Orwell 1984?

1984 is about life in a world where no personal freedoms exist. Winston the main character is a man of 39 whom is not extraordinary in either intelligence or character, but is disgusted with the world he lives in. He works in the Ministry of Truth, a place where history and the truth is rewritten to fit the party's beliefs.

Part of the story tells how you're watched through your own TV as you watch it. The government can see anything that's going on in your home...

How about your laptop camera.....

Big Brother is watching you.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fancyfootwork View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.. everyone should take their license test with a manual transmission vehicle.

Maybe instead of 16 as the legal driving limit, bump it up to 18 with a manual transmission, 3 pedals. Now after you eliminate all of the people who don't abide. Boom, your left with people who can actually drive and ENJOY driving. So many people act as if driving is a crime and complain about it.
    People that are protected and assured of all the same rights and priveleges, (otherwise enjoyed by all Americans), and fall under the auspices of the ADA , might not agree with all of your statements.

FYI: The ADA was signed into law in 1990. It is a comprehensive federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. ...

Just saying....Something I always keep in mind.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    People that are protected and assured of all the same rights and priveleges, (otherwise enjoyed by all Americans), and fall under the auspices of the ADA , might not agree with all of your statements.

FYI: The ADA was signed into law in 1990. It is a comprehensive federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. ...

Just saying....Something I always keep in mind.

Bob
    So Bob are you saying that persons 16-18 are disabled?

Cause if so I AGREE!!!!!

On all of the other fronts throughout this thread I feel that if we speed yes we may be breaking the law and yes it is wrong... Who on this forum has not broken a law before (NO SMART DONKEY COMMENTS PLEASE... LOL...)?

Is it right to break the law? No. Should there be some sort of buffer to the speed limits? Yes! I will tell of a story that happened to me about 4 years ago:

I was driving on I-70 at about 2330 hours and I was in my Corvette. No cars around me at all on the long and lonely highway up into the mountains. Here I am going 67 miles per hour (I know this because the C4 had a digital dash) the speed limit on that stretch is 65 mph Yes I was speeding and blow and lehold there is a Christmas tree behind me!
    Cop asks "do you know how fast you were going?"
    I answer "Yes sir I do I was going 67 mph"
    Cop "Well that is correct; I am issuing you a ticket for speeding; I need your license, registration, and PoI"
    Me "seriously you are ticketing for 2 mph"
    Cop "Yes; are you undermining my authority?"
    Me "NO!"
    Cop walks away gives me the ticket for $100.00!
    Me "### is this?"
    Cop (as he is walking towards his car) How do you think I get paid?"

I paid the ticket by mail as it isn't worth it to fight here...

I got a Speed camera ticket just 4 months ago for going 6 mph over the speed limit and that ticket was $150.00!

I went to court for it and won because there is something in the law that states that when you are issued a ticket you must sign it stating that you acknowledge the reasoning for the ticket...

So yes they can be beat but honestly it is just a money maker for them... Kinda like the government's ATM...
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

Weve got the red-light cameras popping up all over South Florida. Problem is Florida has not formally approved of it, and judges are consistently discharging the tickets in court. One city, Pembroke Pines, is actually in the red several hundred thousand dollars to date keeping attorney on payroll to fight them, and instead of reconsidering they simply suggest they need to add more.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast