autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

A Horror Story with a happy ending!

A Horror Story with a happy ending!

I get a lot of e-mails with questions about detailing that would be better if they were posted to the forum but not everyone into car detailing is also a member of our forum. Of course, registering and becoming a member of AGO is pretty easy and this forum is a great resource for helpful information.

Click here to register with the Autogeek Online Discussion Forum

On to the horror story...

I had a gentleman send me an e-mail and a picture telling me of his Horror Story purchasing a new car. When he went to pick the car up it was completely swirled out from the mis-use of a rotary buffer. As you can see the entire car is filled with holograms also called rotary buffer swirls or rotary buffer trails.

Here's what he wrote in his first e-mail

I purchased a new car and the dealer gave me a DISO. I've read your posts about the DISO, but couldn't really find anything that explains how to fix it. Can you point me to an article. Even better, can you recommend a detailer in Beaverton, Oregon that I can trust to do the job correctly?

I went on to explain that when the paint was buffed out the wrong way using the rotary buffer a certain amount of paint will have been removed.

Then, in order to undo the damage, a professional will have to level the surface as that's how swirls are removed. This means removing a little more of the already precious and thin clear layer of paint from the factory.

The jist of all this is that he just purchased a brand new car that after all is said and done won't have all the paint a brand new car should have for they price he paid.

I then put him in touch with a Pro Detailer in his area and here's a follow-up e-mail I recieved...

The detailer you referred me to came out today, washed the car, and figured out why the dealer detailed the car:

Tree sap - all over the car.

Their detail removed the surface sap, but did nothing to solve the problem. When confronted about it, the dealer admitted everything: The car got covered in sap and they tried to fix it with a detail. In spots, the paint is down to 87 microns.

They've agreed to take it back, give me a refund, and then sell me a new vehicle...

It's sad that too many new and used car dealerships don't know how cars should be properly and correctly detailed, or don't care. I talk about this topic in this article.

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers...

I'm glad to see that the gentleman ended up getting a car without a hacked-up paint job, it's nice to see a horror story like this one with a happy ending.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Horror Story with a happy ending!

Don't you just love that 3D effect!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

3D is taking over. 3D paint will soon be standard on all cars.

Glad he got the dealership take it back. I would have refused to drive it off the lot if I saw my new car like that

Post Thanks / Like

I am impressed that the dealership took it back as I suspect many dealers would not.
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    3D is taking over. 3D paint will soon be standard on all cars.

Glad he got the dealership take it back. I would have refused to drive it off the lot if I saw my new car like that
    I agree but a lot of times they will use a glaze in an attempt to hide the problem with the mentality of "Once it's off our lot, it's no longer our problem". When we bought our 2011 Regal there was a small scuff on one door and I flat out told them, if they attempt to fix it don't count on me buying the car. Needless to say that even after driving the car a couple days then sitting on the lot waiting for the right deal, they never washed it.

Thanks for sharing this with us Mike. It's a great reminder of what to watch for when buying a car, new or used.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Taking a rotary with a will pad to remove tree SAP is wrong? Oops.

LOL. At least it worked out.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Photochop....ain't know way that was real

J/K...lol. That thing was terrible
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Buddy...good to hear the dealer stepped up and did the right thing. Maybe there is hope for that industry after all. Great article Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone tell that guy your suppose to wash the car first.....and change out your pad at least every 6 months
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! He's lucky the dealer stood behind their mistake --after signing the paperwork.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast