autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post Your Unpacking Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Chilly, how do you go from living in Hawaii to living in Alaska? I'm sorry, I guess I missed the Chilly biography on A&E
    I have been an Alaskan for over 30 years but Alaskans love to go to Hawaii in mid to late winter just for a break, and about 14 years ago my wife decided her retirement was coming up and she wanted more than 2-3 trips a year so she bought a condo and remodeled it. She retired and started going over after Christmas and staying until there wasn't any snow on the ground in Alaska. I was still working so I would go over with her and spend a few weeks and come back and go over in March and spend a few weeks and then go over a couple of weeks before she was ready to come home and then we would both come back. I retired December 31, 2015 and started going over with her for the winter and then coming back to Alaska for the rest of the year. That lasted until the toddlers of some people 2 floors up flushed a couple of diapers, kept flushing the toilet, filling up their tub, and then the tub overflowed and our condo was drenched with sewer water. Because of several factors it took us a year and a half to get the 3 insurance companies involved to get off their collective a$$es and then it took the contractor 9 months to redo the condo. In the meantime we decided we weren't going to go through that again so we bought a beautiful house in July of 2018 and started living there. My wife decided we would to a 50/50 but keep Alaska as our home. That lasted about 6 months and she decided it was stupid paying 2 mortgages and insurance etc so we sold the house in Alaska with the plan of someday buying something smaller. Then Covid hit and she had several health issues and there was almost no medical care on the island (we lived on the island of Molokai, only 7,000 permanent residents and very little infrastructure). We came back to Alaska for our daughter's wedding for a month and ended up having to stay for 11 months due to travel restrictions and other factors. When we got back in 2021 things had changed and the attitude of the locals was decidedly hostile towards anyone not originally from the island. That got worse and worse until finally we decided in the early spring of 2022 that we had had enough so we contacted a builder, flew back to Alaska, bought a lot and contracted for a house, got that started, flew back to Molokai, put our house on the market, sold it 5 hours after it listed for a quarter million more than we paid in 2018, packed up what little we wanted to take home to Alaska, and left in mid July. We rented a B&B from August until our home was completed in April of 2023 and that was the end of the Hawaii saga.

LOTS of people ask us the same thing, and the quickest and easiest way to explain it is that VISITING Hawaii and LIVING in Hawaii are two completely different things.

I am sure we will eventually go back to visit Hawaii but we both realize we don't have to own a piece of it to enjoy it

2. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize people from Alaska went to Hawaii a lot, when you said that I thought "that must a quick flight" but a search indicates it's longer than from California. I knew someone who I think lived on "the big island" who said the same thing about being an outsider and eventually moved back to the CONTUS, that was many many years ago though. Sorry I made you type the whole thing out.

PS Too many condo stories like that, shared plumbing, etc. And of course the HOA and you can't wash ur car, etc. I'm going to tread very carefully if I ever have to venture into that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I didn't realize people from Alaska went to Hawaii a lot, when you said that I thought "that must a quick flight" but a search indicates it's longer than from California. I knew someone who I think lived on "the big island" who said the same thing about being an outsider and eventually moved back to the CONTUS, that was many many years ago though. Sorry I made you type the whole thing out.

PS Too many condo stories like that, shared plumbing, etc. And of course the HOA and you can't wash ur car, etc. I'm going to tread very carefully if I ever have to venture into that.
    It's 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Anchorage to Honolulu

No worries about typing it out, some people here know the story already and obviously some didn't

Like I said, it is a common question

The whole condo thing was fine as a vacation thing but besides everything else, trying to live full time in a 660 sq ft one bedroom one bath "house" is almost undoable, when you are used to a large house

But yeah, all the rules and regs and drama and garbage would keep me from ever doing it again

We built this house in Alaska as our forever home and as long as I am physically able to take care of my wife and myself I won't live anywhere else

I was fine with the Hawaii plan until it came to selling the house here and full timing over there; I told the kids I gave it 2 years and it took 3 but I am back where I love and I couldn't be happier

Post Thanks / Like

Condo life is tough duty on detailing. I only lived in one once. I can't do it again.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    I have their wand and their 50 ft hose with a swivel as well. Double swivel action is pretty nice. They have quality products at reasonable prices. Buy with confidence.
    Link to hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Let me know what you think of that hose. I have been needing one for a couple years but have not been able to decipher junk from good. Especially when it comes to these wierd company named products.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I like my 50 foot flexzilla. 4 years… no kinks. Doesn’t kink while using

10. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I sprang for the MTM gun and cannon setup when I started rebuilding my gear here in Alaska, but sadly I cheaped out and din't get the swivel gun and I have regretted it every time I get my rig out

I have looked at swivels to add to the gun but the sheer number of choices is bewildering

I would appreciate input from anyone who has added a swivel to a setup
    I did same on MTM gun. I ended with mosmaatic swivel as I’ve read it is smoothest. Haven’t installed but playing with it it is HIGH quality. Still was cheaper than mosmatic gun and my MTM has memes solid for 5 years. Got expensive paid $35 for mine.

Didn’t cheap out on your stubby so don’t cheap out on your swivel. I can’t find comparison but I know in review it was “significantly” smoother than MYM one.

12. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I did same on MTM gun. I ended with mosmaatic swivel as I’ve read it is smoothest. Haven’t installed but playing with it it is HIGH quality. Still was cheaper than mosmatic gun and my MTM has memes solid for 5 years. Got expensive paid $35 for mine.

Didn’t cheap out on your stubby so don’t cheap out on your swivel. I can’t find comparison but I know in review it was “significantly” smoother than MYM one.

Link please?

Sounds good and especially with your experience with it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Link please?

Sounds good and especially with your experience with it
    I got mine from OG bit looks like the don’t sell. This looks like it but I’d check connections.

Amazon.com

15. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I got mine from OG bit looks like the don’t sell. This looks like it but I’d check connections.

Amazon.com

After you posted I remembered that OG sold that brand but I won’t do business with them

I’ll check out the Amazon link

Thanks

Page 925 of 949 FirstFirst ... 425825875915916917918919920921922923924925926927928929930931932933934935 ... LastLast