autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Random Thoughts - FWD v.s RWD

Posting from Denver Colorado....

This was the first major snow storm of my life..Never seen so much snow acumulate in such a short time !! Was shunted out of office at 12:00 PM and the commute back to home (which normally takes 20 minutes) took 3 hours....

As I look back at that commute, noticed a couple of things:

RWD cars were struggling horribly.
    - Saw two BMW's complete stuck. People were pushing a 5 series, trying to get it off the road. It was the one holding up traffic (took us 2 hours to cover 1/2 a mile).
    - Vividly remember a mustang slipping and sliding - looking extremely clumsy !!
    - Vividly remember an old Thunderbird sliding past my car, narrowly missing - I saw him driving for quite some time at an angle !!

- The othet things I noticed was the propensity of people to mash the pedal when they start off, even in snow. God knows why they can't let the car start off on it's own and then gently give it a little gas to get off to a smooth start !!

- Noticed some complacent SUV drivers going faster than anybody should in snow, inevitably slipping and sliding and making a fool of themselves.

I was Glad to get home....twas ugly out there today !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I experienced my first RWD snow encounter 2 winter's ago when I had my Mustang. It wasn't fun, and I never look forward to driving in snow with it. Since then, I've purchased a very nice set of snow tired which helped tremendously. But all is to be lost for I'm selling the 'Stang for a more affordable, FWD, gas saving vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitethunder46
    I experienced my first RWD snow encounter 2 winter's ago when I had my Mustang. It wasn't fun, and I never look forward to driving in snow with it. Since then, I've purchased a very nice set of snow tired which helped tremendously. But all is to be lost for I'm selling the 'Stang for a more affordable, FWD, gas saving vehicle.
    not all to be lost - think of that "unlost" gas $$, no? Oil prices are climbing...
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    rwd still wins in my book! us floirda guys dont have to worry about snow, only rain, which is when i intentionally mash the pedal hehe. i like to slide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelso
    rwd still wins in my book! us floirda guys dont have to worry about snow, only rain, which is when i intentionally mash the pedal hehe. i like to slide
    i have had cars with rwd for almost ten years now - yikes, i would never do that...i would wrap her around a pole. you guys, i don't know.... be careful.
    no snow here either, of course.
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    The first snow storm of the year is always the worst. It's like people don't remember what it's like to drive in the snow and do all kinds of stupid things. Personally, I think I'll be trading in my RWD car for something with AWD. I'm changing careers and my new career will involve much more driving. So, I want to make sure I can get to my destination safely.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like
    If I lived where it snowed, I would have an AWD winter car and a RWD summer car if money allowed. If not, AWD everyday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC
    The first snow storm of the year is always the worst. It's like people don't remember what it's like to drive in the snow and do all kinds of stupid things. Personally, I think I'll be trading in my RWD car for something with AWD. I'm changing careers and my new career will involve much more driving. So, I want to make sure I can get to my destination safely.
    Good idea. That's why I got AWD. That extra gas is worth it. Plus, if you have all season tires, you don't have to worry about chains.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    modern day RWD cars can do very well in the snow, provided the owners upgrade tires. Even All Season tires are not well designed, the way a dedicated snow tire is. Between Traction Control, Stability Programs, and computer controlled automobiles we have closed that gap.

As for AWD, well look at most modern systems. They are tailored to kick in when needed, but for the most part offer greater bias toward front or rear wheels depending on design. Again closing the gap.

A FWD car typically is less clumsy in the snow as it has significant weight over its front end. This does not however offer a very rewarding drive outside of the snow. Torque Steer is a big culprit, and I have personally found FWD needs more warranty work for spider housing, axles, and other items that seem to fail faster due to all the weight on the front.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    We get through Chicago winters by driving FWD vehicles. Just knowing that you have the capability to get through the snow is a comfort but you also have to be a good driver. There are many drivers of FWD and AWD vehicles that think they are invincible in snow and can ususally be found wrapped around a light pole or in a ditch on the side of the road.
    Here's a pic of our 4x4s; Tacoma and Jeep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast