autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Speeding Tickets in 1 Hr! :(

Quote Originally Posted by swat ss View Post
    Granted it is different in most states, in NJ, #1, there are no "quotas" as some people call them. Actually, NJ has deemed that it is illegal for departments to have quotas on the amount of tickets issued. #2, everyone keeps talking about revenue. You think police officers get a bonus if they write more tickets!? Most could care less about the money that is paid to the courts for tickets. It's not like that money comes to the police department.

Someone mentioned mailing in a check for an amount over the ticket due. I've heard that before, maybe in your state, that does not work in NJ.

Also, if i write a summons to someone, say for speeding, that is not a court mandatory ticket. if you want to go to court and speak with the prosecutor, you can do that, however, the police officer is not required to be there for every summons. of course, it's different if the case is going to trial, which rarely ever happens for simple traffic offenses, (except DUI)

to the OP, i've never heard of that written declaration thing, may be different where you are. I would say just go to court, speak to the prosecutor or judge or whomever runs the show there, and see how they can help you out. if you havnt had a ticket in a few years, i'm sure they will drop something. Good luck!
    Nicely stated my fellow brother in blue.

People claiming quotas still exist just make me laugh. Quotas are illegal.

To the OP, I hope you don't plan on standing in front of the judge and saying you usually only go 10 over the speed limit or that you weren't doing the speed the officer said you were going, but you were still speeding. That judge will hang you.

In 8 years I've never lost a case where the defendant stated they either didn't know how fast they were going or they didn't think they were going as fast as I said they were. And that 10-15 mph discrepency you're claiming is a bit much.

Most people don't understand what is legally required for a RADAR case. We are required to do 3 things before stopping you for speed. We have to visually estimate your speed, activate the RADAR unit and receive an audio doppler tone consistent with the visual estimate, and receive a readout + or - 5 mph of our visual estimate. So when people say my RADAR is wrong (even though it is tested after each stop), I tell them I visually estimated their speed before I even hit the button. We aren't just riding around with the unit on, see a number, then try to figure out who is doing that speed. We are better trained than that.

Hopefully that helps to shed some light on things.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swat ss View Post

to the OP, i've never heard of that written declaration thing, may be different where you are. I would say just go to court, speak to the prosecutor or judge or whomever runs the show there, and see how they can help you out. if you havnt had a ticket in a few years, i'm sure they will drop something. Good luck!
    The purpose of this declaration (I am sure I'm not using the correct name) is to state the facts of offense in more detail to the prospective trial goer.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see some officers chiming in.

Some feel it's revenue driven when suddenly they see a ramped up police presence that appears to be solely focused on writing tickets. They feel their wallets are targeted. Tickets issued for parking with your car facing the wrong way or getting a ticket 1 to 3 mph over the limit. Speed traps set up in neighborhoods early in the morning when people are hurrying off to work, daycare etc. A Sargent or someone else with authority had to make that call for so many officers to be concentrated in one area and to be so stringent. From all that I know that got tickets, know one got a warning. I know the officers don't personally profit from tickets written but someone made the call and it appeared that safety wasn't the primary objective.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a city near me that just started giving tickets for not paying attention to driving which encompasses talking on a cell phone, applying make up, eating a salad or other food. I have nothing against these since the problem in traffic always seems to be some one on a cell phone.
    02 F-150 FX4. Got the goodies on the inside so the dings, dents and scratches are next. Still tuning for power. What gas mileage?

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. In MD/DC area the distracted driver law was passed just a couple of months ago. The problem is that Police here cant pull you over for it. it has to be a second offense. You can talk via bluetooth which is no better IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboom10 View Post
    There's a city near me that just started giving tickets for not paying attention to driving which encompasses talking on a cell phone, applying make up, eating a salad or other food. I have nothing against these since the problem in traffic always seems to be some one on a cell phone.
    i always eat while driving, sure it's not the easiest thing to do while driving a 6 speed but my schedule is so packed that it's the only option sometimes.

2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x: Avalanche White
    2006 Nissan 350Z Touring 6MT: Redline Red

Post Thanks / Like

I guess they finally wised up. Secondary offenses weren't orking.
    02 F-150 FX4. Got the goodies on the inside so the dings, dents and scratches are next. Still tuning for power. What gas mileage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fairlady350z View Post
    i always eat while driving, sure it's not the easiest thing to do while driving a 6 speed but my schedule is so packed that it's the only option sometimes.
    I hope u get heart burn.lol

Post Thanks / Like

I now use a blue tooth because of this law change in MD/DC and have been far more distracted with getting my blue tooth working or arguing with voice dial then i ever was speed dialign and hold an hand set.

Also the small towns on the eastern shore are "ticket factories" doing a lot of what others have complained about in speed trap practices. Are they wrong for doing it... no. Is it a major annoyance... yes.

I moved here from out of state and for 3 months maintained out of state tags here. In the months I was pulled over 9 times for very minor traffic violations. 1 - 10 mph over speed limit, and once for driving past the same cop 3 times in one day... he accused me of running drugs from Delaware into Maryland and wanted to search my car (01 Nissian Frontier 4x4). I was released with a verbal warning each time except which was a written warning.

Now I have not changed my driving practices one bit but after getting my tags changed I did not get stopped for 3 years.

No one will ever convince me out of state drivers are not targeted on the roads.
    Free is not as free as you think free is....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    ...No one will ever convince me out of state drivers are not targeted on the roads.

I would venture to say it depends on where you're at and who the officer is. Cops are a mixed breed. We come from all different backgrounds with our own opinions on things. Here's a shocker - there are cops who are racists, sexists, addicts, alcoholics, liars, cheaters, criminals, and the list goes on. However, these are not the majority. It would be foolish of me to say no cop on earth targets out of state drivers. However, I feel very comfortable saying that behavior is nowhere remotely close to being the majority of cops.

I've been a state trooper for 8 years. State trooper = write tickets, investigate crashes. Of course that's not the only things we do, but it is our main job. I can assure you I have never targeted out of state drivers. I don't care where you're from or where you're going, don't break the law and you won't have to deal with me. I don't care if I never stop another out of state driver for the rest of my career. It's not going to change the way I do my job or my concern for traffic safety. I will continue to work everyday to make the roads in Colorado the safest in the country. It is this mindset that Colorado State Troopers share that HAVE MADE Colorado's roads the safest in the country.

Colin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast