autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sealing Door

Post Thanks / Like

Sealing Door

As some of you may have seen, I got my keys locked in my car and after a cop got them out the drivers side door does not lock the same way as it used to.

The rubber does not press against the actual car 100%. Does anyone have any idea of what I could do to make the door go all the way back again?

My idea was getting a rope and to tie it around where the drivers side window and passenger back window meet. And to make it tight so it would just pull the door back into place?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealing Door

Quote Originally Posted by ilb3 View Post
    As some of you may have seen, I got my keys locked in my car and after a cop got them out the drivers side door does not lock the same way as it used to.

The rubber does not press against the actual car 100%. Does anyone have any idea of what I could do to make the door go all the way back again?

My idea was getting a rope and to tie it around where the drivers side window and passenger back window meet. And to make it tight so it would just pull the door back into place?
    Did the cop bend the door outward? If so, tying the door to the pillar probably will not bend it back.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the window frame may have bent away from the body to allow them to use an unlock rod to activate the power lock switch.

If this is what happened the frame can be bent back into alignment but you need to be very careful doing so. If you are not comfortable trying this, take it by a body shop and they can tweek it back into alignment for you. Better safe than sorry.

If you do attempt this, make sure the window is all the way down before making an adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me guess, the cop hammered one of those wedge tools into the door to give enough clearance to slip a rod in and unlock the door? They aren't locksmiths, but they did get your door unlocked. Next time I'd call a locksmith for sure. It sounds like your door is slightly bent, now, so you may want to talk to a body shop about possibly having it fixed. This will more than likely cost way more than the cost of the locksmith would have been. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

It should not be expensive to fix. I have aligned many, many window/door frames over the years and all it takes is pulling on the top of the frame (with the window down) using your hands and a feel for what you are doing. The whole process takes only minutes. Again, unless you are comfortable doing this go to a body shop.They may not even charge you it is so quick and easy to do.