autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New trucks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New trucks

It really depend on your needs. The Titan had a nice (My next door neighbor has one) and can be had at a decent price. The disadvantage is that it only comes in one engine/tranny choice. The Tundra also has a nice engine and stout frame. The Ford has several different engine/tranny combo to suit your needs. Ditto that with the Chevy/GMC twins. The Dodge is brand new with a better frame (more comfortable rear suspension). However, in the past Dodge transmissions were the weak link (it is probably rectified by now).

I am not sure, but maybe a midsize truck (Frontier/Tacoma) may suit your needs. I do not mention the Colorado/Canyon twins because they have terrible resale value. There is also the trusty Ford Ranger that seems to soldier on.

Post Thanks / Like

go with a ford f350 diesel !! love mine lots a power
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like you are looking to buy one of the Big 3, but if you are just using your truck for light duty may I suggest going out and test driving a Honda Ridgeline. Although it is only a v6 it will tow up to 5000 pounds and get better mileage than most of the trucks you are looking at. It rides better than any truck I have ever driven/been in, almost car like. It has AWD, and the new ones actually look way better than my 2006 version even though there has been no major redesign on them. Finally, you get Honda's quality and most importantly resale value that the Big 3 just cannot touch. As you might be able to tell, I am one very happy owner.
    2006 Honda Ridgeline Nighthawk Black Pearl with the wonderful soft Honda clear....

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the most important thing,is how much you want to spend. I have only owned one truck. Everyone told me it wasn't a truck. I just traded in the 2002 Cadillac EXT I had. ((my avatar) I now have a 2007 Cadilllac SUV with "Showroom Shinse" on the windows. I'll get pics up and change my avatar soon.
    I was told that the Ridgeline did not get the gas mileage the manufactor claimed. It's a nice small pick up. Although I prefere GM.

Post Thanks / Like

There are allot of factors to take into consideration.

• New or Used?
    • Price
    • Warranty
    • Fuel Economy
    • Gasoline or Diesel?
    • Weight & Towing capacity
    • 2 wheel drive or 4X4?
    • Regular cab or crew cab?
    • How long will you keep it?
    • Commercial or private?

The list can go on forever but I think you get my point.

If you're buying new then all the "things to look for" on a used vehicle become irrelevant. However, buying a one or two year old truck will save you thousands in initial depreciation.

Buying a new vehicle can be a very emotional experience. The forces of "need" vs "want" are alive and well and the salesman will exploit the "want" because it's where the most money is.

Be sure to research important towing specifications for your vehicle (available in the owners manual or online at NADAguides.com) to determine the manufacturers suggested towing parameters for your vehicle. Over time, over-towing will stress your engine and your drive train wear and tear that could ultimately lead to costly repairs in the future.

Sit and put together a rational list and stick too it. There is plenty of information available on the Internet so the most important thing is to do your homework and check your emotions at the door.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Shine View Post
    I was told that the Ridgeline did not get the gas mileage the manufactor claimed...
    Mine does. Although I think it should do better.

Post Thanks / Like

i test drove a ridgeline, and it felt too much like my colorado i had. nothing special there, to me. I was looking at any of the big 3 trucks half ton and landed on an 07 new body style silverado. LOVE it. wouldnt trade it for the same truck in the other 2. The extended cab chevys are the same as the 4dr Dodges as far as room on the inside. thats what i hate about dodge. to get something comparable to a real 4dr truck, u gotta get the mega cab.
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by evilwrx View Post
    It seems like you are looking to buy one of the Big 3, but if you are just using your truck for light duty may I suggest going out and test driving a Honda Ridgeline. Although it is only a v6 it will tow up to 5000 pounds and get better mileage than most of the trucks you are looking at. It rides better than any truck I have ever driven/been in, almost car like. It has AWD, and the new ones actually look way better than my 2006 version even though there has been no major redesign on them. Finally, you get Honda's quality and most importantly resale value that the Big 3 just cannot touch. As you might be able to tell, I am one very happy owner.

I love the Honda Ridgeline... it's probably not the truck Grizzly is looking for but after owning a Pilot for a couple of years and riding in a couple of friends Ridgelines, I agree, it's a very functional vehicle with Honda quality.

If I were in the market for a new truck I would probably search Hemmings, AutoTraderClassic and eBay for a mint condition, all original 1969 to 1975 Blazer or Jimmy. Find one that came with air conditioning and the part time 4-wheel drive front end.

You'll get a rugged full size truck that anyone can work on, a full convertible, a classic that will hold it's value and go up in value, a truck you can enter into car shows and they look good too...

Here's an old 1973 all original Blazer I had back in 1999 to 2001, it was fun cruiser and boat puller... never much liked the color but I was the 3rd owner and it was in very nice original condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to purchasing my Ford F-150 I did a bunch of research (allbeit it was 2007) on the trucks available at the time. Contrary to many members here, I'm a Ford guy but considered branching out to the other makes. However, after all was said and done I still ended up with a Ford. I love my 2008 F-150. My truck has the slightly weaker 4.6L engine and it still did great being completely loaded down and towing an auto-transport dolly with our Mazda CX-7 (also moderately loaded down) on it from Texas to South Carolina and back when I had to move with my job for a few months. Prior to that trip I thought my truck was underpowered and I considered trading it up to a F-250. Now I'm keeping this truck until the wheels fall off!

For what it's worth, I did test drive the new 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 (fully loaded with the exception of GPS) a little over a year ago and it drove great and made a very nice impression on me. They gave me a great deal on it too but it was right before my son was born so I figured it was bad timing and passed it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN View Post
    The extended cab chevys are the same as the 4dr Dodges as far as room on the inside. thats what i hate about dodge. to get something comparable to a real 4dr truck, u gotta get the mega cab.
    This is no longer true as of model year 2010. Dodge now has a full size Crewcab, they have done away with the extended cab with the doors that open the same as a crew. The dodge now offers standard cab, crewcab, megacab....The "quad" cab is gone.

As far as a Honda Ridgeline goes, I've driven one a couple times. I have an Element and the wife has a Pilot, so when we go in for service we usually get a RL for a loaner. One time we had it for 3 days because of a problem on the Pilot (interior plastic was broken and replaced). All I will say is, If you gave me one I'd use it as trading stock on one of the big three trucks. It was weak on power, drove terrible, had visibility issues, and was very uncomfortable on any drive over about 30 minutes....And I own and love two other Honda's.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast