autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Camaro - V6 vs. V8, not sure what to do.

I thought the thread was about a V6 vs. a V8?????

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was.........but I've since decided to stick with the V6 and wait for the Z28, so I don't mind that this thread changed direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this applies to you, but back in 1992, the 4th generation Honda Prelude came out and I bought the Si model. Loved the styling. Loved the handling even more! Then, in 93', they came out with the VTEC model. Same handling prowess, but with 190 hp instead of 160. I wanted the VTEC soooo bad! But I stuck with the Si and enjoyed every minute of driving it for ten years.
    I currently own a 96' Prelude VTEC and an 08' IS350. The IS350 will blow the doors off the Prelude (and any stock V6 ponycar out there!), but I still like the handling of the Prelude better. It just feels more in tune with the road.
    From what I've read so far in all the car magazines, the V6 model actually handles much better than the V8 model because it's lighter and better balanced. (That's BMW's secret, BTW!) IMO, you bought the better car. Of course, if your sole passion is to drag race from stoplight to stoplight, then I guess you did get the wrong car.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I completely understand and respect your point. The govermnent (my income taxes) shouldn't be paying for the choices people make with their health. I completely agree and don't think anybody could argue that.
    Where the complex issue lies for me is whether or not the company they bought said product from should be paying for it. No matter what anybody ever told me I would know that inhaling smoke into my blood and lungs isn't good for me and that is my choice. Same with tanning, same with cell phones, etc, etc. Where do you draw the line. The gas fumes you inhale driving down the road. The paint fumes you inhale when painting. The chemicals in the water. The poison in the food we buy.
    There is an argument to be made on both sides of this. Case by case, the argument can be a little stronger on one side or the other depending on a lot of things like false advertising. I just think that personal choice and responsibility is something that gets lost a lot these days. If I decide to smoke it sucks but is my responsibility and you shouldn't pay for it with your taxes and the company that I bought it from shouldn't pay for it unless they forced me to do it.
    I agree personal choice and responsibility for that choice should hold true in both cases but too often it does not and the government (taxpayers) ends up paying the bill. Not the person who made the choice or the company who profitted from that choice. It seems we are on the same side of personal responsibility but the difference comes in how it is applied.

Post Thanks / Like

every time i boight a new truck and went with the smaller motor i was always pissed in the end. should of went bigger. finnalyi did in 2006. 6.0 turbo diesel oyaaa ....
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the V6 and save for Z28 if that's what you want. Do not put any money into modding the V6.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I come from a time when 200hp ( growing up in the 1st gen smog equipped cars wasn't fun) seemed like a lot of HP. The newer Camaro and Mustang V6's both put out over 300hp and deliver decent gas mileage. The base engines put out incredible numbers compared to only 10 years ago. Plus you have the side benefit of getting pretty good gas mileage if you are light on the go pedal. I agree with the above post, do not mod it and save for the Z28 if you desire.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what I plan to do.

Post Thanks / Like

The 300+ HP V6 should be plenty of power for that car, 0-60 times are not that much off from the 426Hp engine. Given the price difference and the extra money you'll be paying in PREMIUM gas, it doesn't make that much sense to go out on a limb. Long after the joy of getting what you want, you'll be feeling it in the wallet. The question you may need to ask yourself, "is 1.2 seconds worth $10,000+".

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast