autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried Something New (Air Freshner)

I've been playing around with a new air freshener idea recently. I purchased some leather scent air freshener in volume (gallon size), vendor not mentioned. It works quite well when sprayed/misted into the vehicle. I found it actually worked better (lasted longer) when sprayed on a Christmas Tree style freshener and hung in one of the traditional places. I then had the idea to stop by a local shoe store and pick up a scrap of leather and ran a chord through it. I sprayed this leather scrap with the air freshener and it really seemed to hold the scent for a long time. I'm not doing this for a living but the thought occured to me that pros might want to consider this method but have a piece of leather cut/stamped with their logo or business name. It probably wouldn't be cost effective for all cutomers but for some of the better regular clients it might be a good idea. The scent actually lasts for a couple to several weeks when using this method. Next time the same vehicle is detailed just spray it again to freshen it up.

Leather seemed like the obvious choice for this, in fact that's what made me consider this option. I'm sure any scent would work equally well. You would probably have to tell the customer that this is their PERMENANT air freshner so that they didn't pitch it but depending upon what information was on the leather they could always have your "business card" on hand.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 04-08-2006 at 05:13 PM.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    very interesting observations and idea's. While I dont use air freshners, it is apparent that you have a well thought out idea. Have you thought about designing a couple of these and providing pics ....

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife tells me that our digital camera has had it. Time for a new one I guess, sorry I don't have a pic. Since I have only done this for myself I've only made one and it's just a 3 inch round circle of leather (no imprint). It's smooth on one side and grained on the other with a leather boot lace run through a 1/4" hole. I don't do this commercially so I really hadn't considered making more of them. I've got some basic leather stamps. I'll try and make one up and see if I can't take a picture.

I'm sure a creative detailer in the business could make one look about any way they wanted. The shoe store/cobbler would have handed me about as much leather scrap as I wanted. I don't think this has to be a huge investment.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like

cool idea

Have to admit I like your idea. there are a lot of people that like the smell of leather and if this will retain the scent longer I am in. the fact that you can use it over and over makes your idea more appealing. may have to try this out. thanks for the concept.