autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Melt and re-pour Carnauba paste wax

I got a good deal on a nearly full tub of P21s 100% from Christian900se, he has too many paste wax's and this was just sitting unused. Thanks Christian!

Wax came with everything as if it was new and lightning speed shipping!

I waxed the trunk of a friends car for a test spot (it needed wax as we've been sanding out orange peel panel by panel and just finished the trunk. Sorry no pics). The wax goes on thin, quickly passes the swipe test, buffs off with ease and looked great. All as expected.

But when I pulled the wax from the jar I found that it was crumbling at the bottom. It didn't piss me off even a little because I immediately knew what was about to happen, MELT AND RE-POUR! I've read a few posts about melting and mixing wax's and have wanted to try it myself. A great opportunity as I haven't been able to bring myself to dig into a jar of perfectly fine wax.

I loosened up all the wax from the bottom of the tub and shaved any pieces off of the solid chunk.

Then added all the wax pieces to a clean glass jar.

I heated some water, to almost boiling, in an old camping pot, this things seen it's share of camp fires.

Placed the jar into the water for a make-shift double-boiler

Didn't take too long to start melting

Stirring

More melting

Completely melted

I poured the melted wax into my clean and empty tub of Original Formula P21s

Poured

I left it overnight to harden, the wax has returned to the consistency I would expect. It's back to a solid paste, smooth to the touch and when you swirl your finger on the wax surface it slightly melts under your finger.

I'm glad that it returned to normal. Now I just have to do a 50/50 test of melted and re-poured vs unaltered. If the tests prove no ill effects, I may have some interesting and entertaining posts in the future*.

*I just like to experiment, I'm not thinking that I will create the "next best thing" or some "super wax". The chemists know best.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melt and re-pour Carnauba paste wax

I did the same thing with P21S 100% and all the oils came up to the top. Funny I've done this with other waxes with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I did the same thing with P21S 100% and all the oils came up to the top. Funny I've done this with other waxes with no problems.
    At what point did the oils separate? While it was liquid? After it solidified? This is P21s 100%, and it seems to have returned to normal. I was careful to only heat the wax until it just melted, then pulled it from the heat and stirred until all was melted. Maybe you over heated it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    At what point did the oils separate? While it was liquid? After it solidified? This is P21s 100%, and it seems to have returned to normal. I was careful to only heat the wax until it just melted, then pulled it from the heat and stirred until all was melted. Maybe you over heated it?
    The oils came up about a week or two later. Until then it look fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The oils came up about a week or two later. Until then it looked fine.
    Wow, lame. Now I have to wait forever to see what happens. At least I only melted a small portion of the wax. The majority was fine in the first place and it's back in it's jar, safe from my experiments. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you got it in one piece! I should check the off topic section more often, especially with all your future concoctions. I never took the wax out of the container so I never knew what was hiding under there, but thanks for showing how to double boil as I have been curious about that.

P21s 100% is very easy to work with, maybe mixing it in with a more durable yet harder to use wax would yield some impressive results.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Christian! No problem about the wax underneath, I'm actually glad, I have fun playing with stuff.

If the re-poured portion of wax does not separate I'll definitely do a couple mixes for entertainment purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

I did this last year with a tin of M16.

Before

During

After

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

My collinite 915 has this issue... Is this possible from it being heated in the sun or in storage bins in the back of the truck on a hot day?

The wax has a chunkiness to it. Is this a problem to use when it is in this shape.. beside getting blobs on the applicator? Mine has been like this since day 1 of opening the can (i opened from the bottom so i could apply it to a soft pad and apply via PC).

Waxes are not cheap... I'd hate to ruin an entire tin by having it separate but If I shouldn't be using it in this condition then I guess its better then nothing...

Please advise ... thanks in advance

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    My collinite 915 has this issue... Is this possible from it being heated in the sun or in storage bins in the back of the truck on a hot day?
    I would think the heat could definitely affect the consistency of the wax.

The wax has a chunkiness to it. Is this a problem to use when it is in this shape.
    I don't think it is a problem to use in this state. I have used waxes like that before and they worked fine.

Waxes are not cheap... I'd hate to ruin an entire tin by having it separate but If I shouldn't be using it in this condition then I guess its better then nothing.
    The only reason I melted mine down was because I wanted to try it and it did not matter to me if I ruined it in the process, because I got it for a really cheap price and I had another 2 tins of M16 if something did happen.
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast