autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh my

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Gearhead...I actually have been doing a little prelim research (the actual purchase is, of financial necessity, a little ways off) and have just begun to realize these are all factors when purchasing wheels. I never knew there could be so much to changing wheels, but it makes it even more fun to think I can improve my little Camry's handling and performance by changing the wheels and tires. A few years back I bought my first-ever completely new set of really, really good tires on top of new struts and (of course) an alignment for for my old Buick, and driving the car out of the shop that day was a revelation. It was like having a brand new car. I liked that feeling so much I may never buy fewer than 4 tires at a pop ever again. One thing I loved about that old car was she looked like such a sled and then when people got in her and heard how she ran and felt how she rode, they always went "Wow". I had to choose between the internals and the aesthetics since I didn't have money for both, so of course it all went to the internals. It's nice now, however, to be able to pay some attention to the aesthetics.

Anyways, what I want for my Camry is a little bit bigger wheel (18" as opposed to 16"), which is within the car's specs as per the owner's manual. My original idea behind getting bigger rims was a better look, but with what I'm learning now I think I'm shopping more for performance than looks since I can get both.
    All advice will always be appreciated. I'd like to get my head wrapped around what I need as soon as possible so I can start saving for the big purchase.

Well, it's now Collinite time...back later! Thanks again, ya'll!

Amy
    Last edited by libtech; 10-22-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the best and nicest places to get wheels. Plus they are in FL!

http://www.edgeracing.com/wheels/flik/
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember one thing.......Your tires are the only thing keeping the car on a wet/snowy road. I learned my lesson the hard way, I went cheap years ago (I was i high school) and ended up fish tailing out of control (U.S 1 in south Fl) facing oncoming traffic. Granted this was in a 1972 Plymouth Duster with drum brakes all around, but I wasn't speeding (uncommon for me lol) and slowing down to a red light. Read reveiw on tirerack.com and tires.com and see what people have experienced.
    Edit: There is aways an exception too the rule, some "cheaper" tires can work great too you just have to find out which ones do.
    Last edited by wytstang; 10-22-2006 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wytstang
    Remember one thing.......Your tires are the only thing keeping the car on a wet/snowy road. I learned my lesson the hard way, I went cheap years ago (I was i high school) and ended up fish tailing out of control (U.S 1 in south Fl) facing oncoming traffic. Granted this was in a 1972 Plymouth Duster with drum brakes all around, but I wasn't speeding (uncommon for me lol) and slowing down to a red light. Read reveiw on tirerack.com and tires.com and see what people have experienced.
    Edit: There is aways an exception too the rule, some "cheaper" tires can work great too you just have to find out which ones do.
    Very true. That's why on tires.com tires you pick should be described as "best" (check good, better, and best). I personally trust Michelin.
    IMO don't even look at other tires. Some uncle "Dweng" chinese tires will let you down. Just my $0.02.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    www.goodroads.net (Florida)

Both every set of wheels (minus the Iforged) from them, and they always install/maintain my tires/wheels.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    wytstang--I know what you mean about cheaper tires. I never had anything dangerous like that happen to me, but right before my Buick's trannie started with the weird and creepy I finally got my first flat from the set I referenced earilier in this thread. Five years they lasted, and still had some tread to go. But since this tire couldn't be fixed and I was so close to needing new ones (and I didn't know I was so close to getting a new car) I opted for four new rather than two. But I didn't have quite the bucks to spend as I did last time so I went cheaper. Boy was I disappointed riding out of the shop! I expected the "riding on a cloud" thing again, and it didn't happen. There was an improvement over the old worn tires, but nothing to write home about. So that's my last dalliance with cheap tires. LOL

So, thanks for all the feedback and links, guys...keep 'em coming! I'm going to look, and learn, and I'll post questions as they occur!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.