autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are Threads being Deleted? (Admin Note: Threads are not deleted but moved or closed to maintain civility)

In the last week there have been 2 threads that were deleted? The 1st was the Polishing Chart thread started by 07 z-oh-6 and the other was the one Bashing LC Hydro pads from O.C. Details. Both threads were temporarily closed by Mike P with the explanation of “just for the night” to let things cool down, but instead were completely deleted. Why? I would have PM’d the Mods for information, but I(and several others that have contacted me) personally feel that this community is owed an explanation instead. I can understand and respect the need to protect members and sponsors, but don’t feel this was the case with these threads. I feel valuable information was expressed in an effort to share the truth, but instead there is not any trail to let people decide for themselves.

I see where possible editing or deletion of content *could* have been chosen and ultimately locking up the thread, but to completely delete it just seems pretty bizarre? In the spirit of free information exchange, why take it away so it can’t be viewed? At a bear minimum it has educational value.

Please explain if you could…..

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are Threads being Deleted?

Hi David,

The threads were not deleted as we don't delete threads here on AutogeekOnline but we do move them to the Moderator's forum if enough members start taking the thread downhill with their comments.

There comes a point when the negative comments made by a handful of forum members make it so the thread no longer provides enough good information to outweigh the sad turn the thread takes.

We will be posting new forum rules the first of the week and then enforcing them striclty and we think this will take care of the problems that arise from time to time.
    Great question and we hope in the future that everyone can discuss a topic without the thread going downhill.

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Dave. There was actually great info that would benefit forum members on how to correctly use those products mentioned.

Also would agree if you are going to say that you are going to put the thread back up and not going to atleast explain for the change or as Dave mention edit some of the posts. Would like to add also that the both threads did calm down on their own and everyone was "behaving" so to speak. Seems that they were also closed way to late after it did get a little heated and that would have been the time to act, not way after the fact.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Seems that they were also closed way to late after it did get a little heated and that would have been the time to act, not way after the fact.
    If they wouldn't have gotten heated they wouldn't have needed to be closed.

I wasn't online when they got heated so I couldn't take action, when I did get PM'd about them I closed them because I didn't want to babysit them all night long just to make sure they didn't turn south again. It's not possible to work all day and then work on the forum all night just to watch out for problems.

We think the new forum rules will prevent anything like this from happening again in the future and I'm sure you'll agree that keeping threads on-topic and family friendly makes for a great forum experience for all our members.

Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If they wouldn't have gotten heated they wouldn't have needed to be closed.

I wasn't online when they got heated so I couldn't take action, when I did get PM'd about them I closed them because I didn't want to babysit them all night long just to make sure they didn't turn south again. It's not possible to work all day and then work on the forum all night just to watch out for problems.

We think the new forum rules will prevent anything like this from happening again in the future and I'm sure you'll agree that keeping threads on-topic and family friendly makes for a great forum experience for all our members.

Right?

I understand no one is going to be able to watch them all night. I don't recall if it was that late, anyway, I agree with you 100% that the forum should be friendly. On the other hand they both worked themselves out like most conversations between people do.

I do have one question for you Mike or any other Mod, how would you like people to reply to a post that is incorrect or ask additional questions to try and solve a problem that one maybe having with a certain product or using incorrectly?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post

I can understand and respect the need to protect members and sponsors, but don’t feel this was the case with these threads.

And we appreciate your feelings...

It's possible we could clean up the threads that went south, but remember we're busy just like you're busy and playing clean-up for a few problem members takes time.

So have patience...

I for one have been here since 8:00am this morning and on my clock it's ow 7:47pm, so I'm ready to push away from the keyboard and go home.

Let's hope this thread doesn't go south...

Mike Phillips

I do have one question for you Mike or any other Mod, how would you like people to reply to a post that is incorrect or ask additional questions to try and solve a problem that one maybe having with a certain product or using incorrectly?
    In a polite manner and without being demeaning to the other forum members.

Sometimes all it takes is to think about your reply and make sure you've done your best to phrase it in a way to keep it positive and not demeaning or negative if a person's truly trying to help.

Also, it's not our forum members job or responsibility to correct other people if they've made a mistake. People are welcome to post their opinion but they shouldn't feel like it's their job or responsibility.

Agree?

Post Thanks / Like

In a polite manner and without being demeaning to the other forum members.

Sometimes all it takes is to think about your reply and make sure you've done your best to phrase it in a way to keep it positive and not demeaning or negative if a person's truly trying to help.

Also, it's not our forum members job or responsibility to correct other people if they've made a mistake. People are welcome to post their opinion but they shouldn't feel like it's their job or responsibility.

Agree?

Fair enough and agree, but on the other hand some people find it hard to take being corrected that the part the caused the last thread to go in a bad direction. Before you say anything maybe some different wording might have helped that, but just wanted to throw that out there also.

Mike Phillips

Fair enough and agree, but on the other hand some people find it hard to take being corrected

Agree, that's why it's all the more important for anyone doing any correcting to so so with kids gloves, especially on a very public forum.

The goal is always to see a person through to success in their garage and never making them feel bad because they made a mistake or for asking a question.

This is where seasoned, experienced professionals can lead by example in their replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, that's why it's all the more important for anyone doing any correcting to so so with kids gloves, especially on a very public forum.

The goal is always to see a person through to success in their garage and never making them feel bad because they made a mistake or for asking a question.

This is where seasoned, experienced professionals can lead by example in their replies.

Thanks for your input Mike, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast