autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

One Note for your research

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and already I've been receiving wonderful assistance from other members. So I wanted to share something I use in just about everything I do. In my "real life" I'm a software developer/IT guy and I'm constantly researching new things. Microsoft Office has a product called One Note that I have found great to use in categorizing and storing research. It uses what it calls notebooks and each notebook you can create sections that will store pages which you can label and then store your information in. It also has a Sections group where you can categorize all your sections.

To me it works like a big ole electronic filing cabinent but best of all it has a good search which will allow you to search through all your notebooks. You can also store the files locally or if you have a central machine, you can store it on a a server. It will also integrate with Sharepoint. (Not sure if anybody here would have a need for Sharepoint.)

One feature that stands out is when you're researching on the internet and you want to copy some text from a page, when you paste it to OneNote, it will automatically create the URL to the web page your copying from.

An example of how I have a section setup for detailing. I have an Auto Section Group which I have sections for things like Wheels, different manufacturers. I also have a Section Group Called Car Care.

I open it and I have sections such as Detailing & Paint Correction. Under Detailing I have pages such as Windows, Clay Bar, Micro Fibers etc.

You can set it up anyway you like but it's just so nice to post your research and when you try things jot down your notes etc.

You can also use it to create task lists with check marks. Assign stars or such to certain sections.

Sure you can do it with anything but the organization you can get with One Note IMHO is what seperates it. Everywhere I go and start using it, once I show it to colleagues they get hooked on it.

Anywho, I know the people on here do a lot of tinkering and Testing so I wanted to share this with everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Note for your research

I use Evernote, shareware if you do not want pen reco, to capture snippets, screenshots.

It also remembers the url, etc.
    Al
    The Need to Bead