autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: back pain?

Post Thanks / Like

back pain?

what do you guys do about the lower back pain that comes with doing detail work? i have worked threw shoulder and arm pain but the lower back pain seems to be pretty frequent.

i often just plop down on the cold concrete of my garage and lay flat and let my back adjust and that usually works for a good 30-45 min of work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: back pain?

Pain killers and anti-inflammatories. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries, knee surgery(need another) and have a herniated/buldging L4-5 disc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Pain killers and anti-inflammatories. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries, knee surgery(need another) and have a herniated/buldging L4-5 disc.
    i suffer from cronic back pain as well. probably from 18 years of landscaping . the only thing that works is pain killers . in fact i might need surgery soon ..
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post
    what do you guys do about the lower back pain that comes with doing detail work? i have worked threw shoulder and arm pain but the lower back pain seems to be pretty frequent.

i often just plop down on the cold concrete of my garage and lay flat and let my back adjust and that usually works for a good 30-45 min of work.

Using ladders and step stools is a good way to help with back pain. Usually you back in that area hurts from reaching.

I have found its just a pain you learn to deal with. Hitting the gym and working your lower back hard for a while will help too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T Riddle View Post
    Using ladders and step stools is a good way to help with back pain. Usually you back in that area hurts from reaching.

I have found its just a pain you learn to deal with. Hitting the gym and working your lower back hard for a while will help too.
    i agree that strengthening everything, back included, is generally ideal, but- strengthening your core...abs, obliques...will help your lower back the most. it helps balance things out and takes the stress off of your lower back. also doing glute stretches, ceiling reaches with knees, etc will help. the body is a network of push/pull, opposing muscles. if the push is more powerful than the pull, or vice versa, you have an imbalance.

most lower back pain if it isn't related to an injury is related to imbalances that can be corrected with precise exercises. the problem is, people would rather pop pills than work it out and correct the issue using natural harmony.

anyway, i'm not short, not tall (6'4) and overly muscled; i have to lean over for most things in life- washing dishes, mowing the lawn, etc. i've found that when possible, widening my stance, hence lowering my center of gravity, etc will help reduce the stress applied to my lower back. sometimes i'll stand super wide, and next thing i know i don't have to lean at all!
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

The 2 above posts have it right. If it is not an injury, strenghten your core, it helps. Remember to bend at the knees, or sit on a bucket or stool instead of leaning over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    the body is a network of push/pull, opposing muscles. if the push is more powerful than the pull, or vice versa, you have an imbalance.

There is not a single muscle in the body that "pushes". All muscles contract to make a movement.

Post Thanks / Like

im like travis pastrana. Im 24 years old and need to slowly get myself up for about 30 minutes every morning. Ive hurt myself millions of times, more than most people in there lifetime, in the past 24 years. Ive broken SOOO many bones, or pulled, or sprainede, dislocated something... lol

EVERY time i detail, i am in incredible pain for an entire week. i even work out every day and that doesnt help. Yes i stretch before EVERYTHING i do, even sleep...

my lower back pretty much is non stop pain.

I cant wait til im 30, ill have the body of a 80 year old. But all i can say is i have lived life to the fullest, LOL.
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I have a lot of company in the back pain dept.. I messed my back up years ago when I was in my 30s when I first spent 4 months in traction. When I hit 50 things started going down hill at a quicker rate, it started with 2 bulging disc surgeries and a couple of years later I had fusion done to my spine which didn't really help. I'm now told it's degenerative disc disease and my next step is to have neurostimulation therapy done by means of an implanted power pak and leads put into my spine to help kill the pain through small electric jolts. Like others above have said, take care of your back while your younger because once it's damaged it never seems to get completly better. Don't mean to preach, just feel strongly about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast