autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Insurance in Canada

Hey Everyone,

One of my best friends will be having to move out of the US and to Canada early next year. What insurance companies are there in Canada? This would be for home and auto.

Thanks!

Stephen
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Insurance in Canada

I'm afraid we'll need some more information. Auto insurance in particular varies from Province to Province in Canada. Manitoba, where I live, has a single Government owned/sponsored auto insurance called Autopac. No private insurance company can offer basic auto insurance in Manitoba, but they can provide additional top up insurance over the basic Autopac. Autopac also offers premium add on insurance such as higher third party coverage, reduced deductibles and so on. If we're talking Ontario, I believe it's all private insurance. So... until we know the Province in question, it's hard to answer.

House insurance is different, I don't think any Province has a single insurance scheme like our Autopac but there's still lots of options and again, they vary somewhat from Province to Province.

Regards

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

where in canada?
    There is allstate, aviva, many banks such as td, etc. If your going to Quebec your best bet it maybe to try a private broker who will go hunting for the best price, or Desjardins (they have probably the best and cheapest home/auto insurance)
    I'm pretty sure Ontario and B.C. are same thing as quebec however i don't believe Desjardins is in B.C.
    Quick note, in quebec, any injuries sustained in an accident are dealt directly through the SAAQ therefore you can't really sue anyone for damages as it is all governed by the SAAQ. (Societe D'assurance Automobile de Quebec) Its basically like a DMV but with alot more authority.
    thats all i got..lol
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRHTX View Post
    Hey Everyone,

One of my best friends will be having to move out of the US and to Canada early next year. What insurance companies are there in Canada? This would be for home and auto.

Thanks!

Stephen
    Province to province it varies (as per Kaptain Zero), although you will see some of the same names you see in the US, like State Farm and Allstate and some new names, like Aviva, Wawanesa, TD, Royal etc...

In Ontario, Bel Air is about the least spendy, but won't insure cars purchased in the USA (don't ask me why, just a stupid internal policy).
    The “frozen concepts” reasoning runs contrary to one of the most fundamental principles of constitutional interpretation: that our Constitution is a living tree which, by way of progressive interpretation, accommodates and addresses the realities of modern life.