autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you do in this situation..

You know how they always say do what you like, don't worry about the money and all that stuff. Well if you had the opportunity to take over a business that basically runs itself, would you or would you keep doing what you like?

My uncle owns a large electrical contracting business that brings in millions every month. My cousins (his kids obviously) don't care. My cousin just graduated college and is doing radio broadcasting (making jack sh!t, seriously I don't know how anybody in that biz survives unless your Howard Stern lol). My uncle kept trying to get him in the business but he doesn't care. He could basically take it over, and not really have to do anything since it basically runs itself and the VP takes care of mos t of the stuff now. So now it falls to my other cousin, and she's kinda interested now. Graduated and now going for her construction mngt degree.

I just find it funny, that a guy wouldn't want to run a business like that but a girl would, though she never really planned on really workig in the biz and taking over. My whole family is into racing boats, cars etc. He doesn't care for boats, or cars. I think somethings wrong with my cousin LOL.

Personally, screw the radio, or police, or teacher or whatever job I "wanted" to do (in theory). Give me that option to take over and I'm all over it. In actuality I would, but I'm currently building up my own.
    Last edited by Surfer; 08-02-2006 at 11:10 PM.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I have to love what I do, which is why I manage a detail shop. I love my job, and if something came along like that... i wouldn't leave where I'm at now... but i would try to work my way into the will... for sure.
    *Signature removed by admin.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats a heavy question, one we all have to come to terms with at some point in life. Doing what you like is the obvious answer since you will likely need to to do it for a long period of time. That said, money is what helps to make things easier on your family and loved ones. Sometimes that means a little sacrificing.

And dont think for a minute the company above can run like a well oiled machine without the original owner. As a commercial banker, I deal with changes in businesses to family and outright selling of the business to others that all think the same way. In some cases were "calling" in the note within a year or two because the financials no longer support it. Some make it ... but usually find it to be alot more work than anticipated.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    thats a heavy question, one we all have to come to terms with at some point in life. Doing what you like is the obvious answer since you will likely need to to do it for a long period of time. That said, money is what helps to make things easier on your family and loved ones. Sometimes that means a little sacrificing.

And dont think for a minute the company above can run like a well oiled machine without the original owner. As a commercial banker, I deal with changes in businesses to family and outright selling of the business to others that all think the same way. In some cases were "calling" in the note within a year or two because the financials no longer support it. Some make it ... but usually find it to be alot more work than anticipated.
    Exactly, I know people say money doens't bring happiness, but it sure as hell makes things easier.

The business would still have my uncle on untill one of them would have been fully ready to take over. He wants them to understand the work he put in building it up to the point it's at. I worded it wrong, it won't be like they'll just take the helm and sit around all day doing nothing. But it's run very well, they've gotten contracts with airports and other large commercial type deals that are on a continuous basis (not just a contract for one job, though they do that too).

Personally I love the whole aspect of the business, I've helped them on stuff and enjoy the contract business. But I enjoy stuff like that, plus they all have big diesels and I love diesels . That's why it suprised me my cousin didn't want anything to do with it. Everyone we've talked to, his friends etc are like wth is wrong with him. He has the perfect opportunity but would rather do radio. It's just funny as most guys would love something like this, and most guys love cars boats etc, but he doesn't. For me it's hard to grasp b/c I was raised around this stuff my whole life from businesses to boats, anything mechancial, and how a guy especially couldn't be into stuff like that is just suprising.
    Last edited by Surfer; 08-03-2006 at 08:32 AM.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like he marches to the beat of his own drum and as confounding as it is to you, I have to give him the credit for doing what he wants to with his life. With him being the son, I'm sure the whole family is expecting him to step into his dad's shoes. For him to walk away from it to go into something that he enjoys but that doesn't bring a good income seems a very bold move. It may not seem wise, but life is short and maybe he is happy where he is. One can't fault him for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    well stated. i get asked a lot why im not managing the place i work ( i work hard and am first there, last to leave) and i always tell people i wouldnt accept a manager position if they offered it to me. money is nice and all but ive realized how materialistic this country has become.... its quite frightening how much junk we have to have, that we dont need at all. if he has no interest in that business, how bored would he be all day? and how long before he runs it into the ground because he doesnt care about it? honestly its better for him to say no and take the radio job.