autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Torque Wrench

Post Thanks / Like

Torque Wrench

Just started to look for one. Anyone have suggestions on a good company and style. Was edging towards the micrometer style with a "clinker" when the set torque was reached. But there are so many manufacturers out there, was hoping someone could offer some companies to buy from and not buy from.

Howard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Torque Wrench

Well Craftmans makes a nice one..plus lifetime warranty on hand tools....I have one and its a pretty rugged tool....I think I paid close to 100.00 for it...20-150 ft pounds...1/2 drive...I use it mainly for torqueing my wheels and motorcycle wheels....

I have a smaller one also for doing engine parts...and auto use...

stay away from ther Harbor freight ones....cheap made and very inaccurate....

now if you want to go a step up with more money go snap on....Sears sells the KD brand also and they are very close to snap on....very good tools...they did not have them when I got mine a few years back....

I have a torque wrench in 1/4 1/2 3/8 drive....

also try ebay...some nice deals ...buy quality....cheap tools loose calibration fast....

remember they come in foot pounds and inch pounds....get the right one for your applications....

Al

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Craftsman warranties the beam-style torque wrenches for life but not the clickers. Those are 1-year only. I know this from painful personal experience.

The Husky brand clickers from Home Depot are allegedly made by the same manufacturer as Craftsman and carry the same warranty for about half of the price.

As Al-53 stated, stay away from the super cheap things at Harbor Freight and similar places.

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine from Craftsman also ... had some tool special and quite reasonable with discount as I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

check out snap-on. on sale for 300 bucks
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
    Craftsman warranties the beam-style torque wrenches for life but not the clickers. Those are 1-year only. I know this from painful personal experience.

The Husky brand clickers from Home Depot are allegedly made by the same manufacturer as Craftsman and carry the same warranty for about half of the price.

As Al-53 stated, stay away from the super cheap things at Harbor Freight and similar places.

you are right..I went and looked at the box mine came in...its a warranty for 2 years....I guess they even lowered it more...

also stay away from the Kobalt tools...they use to be made by Snap On ..but they changed who they have brand thier tools now..very cheap looking now...

AL

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Torque Wrench

I have a couple of the Craftsman clickers, "Microtork" and made in the USA - they are over 15 years old and they still work fine.
    I use them occasionally, not for business. I never had a problem with them, after you use them you dial them back down to Zero for storage, and put them back in their boxes and into the tool chest so they don't get banged around.
    Last edited by julian; 05-27-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    enjoy life while you can

Post Thanks / Like

I've also got the Craftsman 1/2 inch drive and have no problems for aprox. 7 or more years I've had it. Mostly used for wheels. I have the smaller 3/8 in. that reads in inch/lbs. also. I know you can buy better but the price of those brands are a bit to high for what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Craftsman or Snap-On or even MAC tools will be a fine choice.