autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reason to Lock Your Car

I don't keep my cars locked in the garage

When I park it the rear end of the new car is only about a foot from the garage door and I can't open the lift gate while it is in the garage unless I park the nose almost to the wall and then I can't get my safe open

I let the dog into the garage last night to take her out before bed and she was racing around the car and somehow got close enough in under the rear bumper to trigger the kick sensor for the lift gate

The car beeped twice and the lights flashed twice and all I could see in my mind was the liftgate going up and crashing into the garage door

Luckily it didn't actually go up, I think she was under there just a bit too long or something and cancelled the lift

Moral of the story, both cars are locked now

2. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reason to Lock Your Car

We have to be careful about letting our new foster into the garage. He gets excited about the car now. Last time he jumped up onto the door before we had it open. Scratches aren't too bad but we need to have a car door open so he can get in instead of scratching the car.

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our dog won’t do that and hates getting in the car

I end up lifting her in and out

She’s not quite 9 months old and weighs 63 pounds

I got one of these in the hope I can get her to get in on her own and not scratch the car

The picture is not her, it’s off the website

I like how the cape extends over the bumper

She could easily jump in but won’t

She’s calm as a rock once she gets in and never makes a peep

She just hates the getting in and out

The boss says get a folding ramp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes bill walsh, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My two get excited for every car ride, even vet visits. But they sit quietly while I'm driving, Buster looks out the back window, Ziva usually sits up behind the front seats, both with harnesses secured to lockdown points. I bought a thick rubber mat for them, as the plastic was way too slippery. They're both happy to jump up and in by themselves, even though it's over their head height, sometimes they're too excited, they've both tried jumping up before I've opened the door, lucky the spare tyre is there.

Another reason to lock your car in the garage, basic security. I read a story a month back about a woman who had her car stolen from inside her garage. Her husband's car was in the driveway, with a garage remote in it, they broke into that car, but couldn't steal it as the key was inside the house, so opened the garage to get in the house, but the wife left the proximity key in the centre console of her car, so they just stole hers. It was found a couple days later, completely trashed, but insurance is refusing to pay, because she left the key in the car, they don't care that it was locked in the garage, it's specifically listed in the policy that leaving the key in the car is considered negligence.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

8. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    My two get excited for every car ride, even vet visits. But they sit quietly while I'm driving, Buster looks out the back window, Ziva usually sits up behind the front seats, both with harnesses secured to lockdown points. I bought a thick rubber mat for them, as the plastic was way too slippery. They're both happy to jump up and in by themselves, even though it's over their head height, sometimes they're too excited, they've both tried jumping up before I've opened the door, lucky the spare tyre is there.

Another reason to lock your car in the garage, basic security. I read a story a month back about a woman who had her car stolen from inside her garage. Her husband's car was in the driveway, with a garage remote in it, they broke into that car, but couldn't steal it as the key was inside the house, so opened the garage to get in the house, but the wife left the proximity key in the centre console of her car, so they just stole hers. It was found a couple days later, completely trashed, but insurance is refusing to pay, because she left the key in the car, they don't care that it was locked in the garage, it's specifically listed in the policy that leaving the key in the car is considered negligence.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    Don’t get me started on insurance companies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I don't keep my cars locked in the garage

When I park it the rear end of the new car is only about a foot from the garage door and I can't open the lift gate while it is in the garage unless I park the nose almost to the wall and then I can't get my safe open

I let the dog into the garage last night to take her out before bed and she was racing around the car and somehow got close enough in under the rear bumper to trigger the kick sensor for the lift gate

The car beeped twice and the lights flashed twice and all I could see in my mind was the liftgate going up and crashing into the garage door

Luckily it didn't actually go up, I think she was under there just a bit too long or something and cancelled the lift

Moral of the story, both cars are locked now
    Hopefully it was a sensor that sensed the garage door. Makes sense….

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Luckily the car is smarter than I am...

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

When we were kids one house in the neighborhood had an opener that would fire up when you threw a basketball and hit the very top of the backboard he had mounted on the roof.

Had to be infuriating when we were playing hoops there…and even more so at other random times Reason to Lock Your Car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this was an urban myth or not but people used to talk about slowly cruising a neighborhood wit the mic from a CB radio keyed up and slowly turning the channel knob until they hit a frequency that would open a garage door

I don't know enough about frequency compatibility to call BS or not

Post Thanks / Like

Thank God for home security camera systems nowadays to hopefully catch such crooks
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

17. Likes chilly liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast