autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unwatchable detail+

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    🫣

He's owned the car for that long and it's never had a deep cleaningUnwatchable detail+Unwatchable detail+Unwatchable detail+

As far as the products go, well, it's been proven that techniques are more important but let's be serious here, your working on THAT car with THOSE products and whoever THOSE guys are, then talk about taking all day (8 hrs)Unwatchable detail+

I have a lowly Hyundai Elantra N and I can assure you I spent more than 8 hrs detailing my car for coating 1.5 yrs agoUnwatchable detail+
    I think you’re being a bit harsh.. @ :21 Jay says it hasn’t had a real cleaning in a long time. [so it has had a real cleaning since he’s owned it]

He also says “see if we can make it look almost as good as the day I got it”
    Meaning that car must’ve been detailing to perfection on day 1.

-Therefore there was a day when that paint was smooth as glass. They mentioned that the paint is in really good condition and we can see very minor swirls. And since it’s spent the last 20yrs. inside Jay Lenos Garage it’s highly probable that it doesn’t need to be decontaminated.

There’s detailers who prep for polish by doing a waterless/rinseless so it’s not like it’s unheard of.

Jay Leno introduces the 2 “Clowns” as the “Brains” behind the Jay Leno brand of products. I think they deserve more credit than “clown” status even though 1 of them looks like Chris Farley.

Also, you may have taken more than 8hrs, but there’s 2 guys working on this car so technically that would be 16 man hours not 8hrs. by yourself.

Jay Leno products aren’t much different than something like Surf City, Poorboys, or any other brand with a small lineup of products. I don’t really see what the big deal is.

2. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unwatchable detail+

Two guys with hopefully better equipment.

Those guys did it old school. I’m fin with the waterless/quick detailer before. Car probably gets wiped down with QD after every drive. My neighbors with the 17 GT does that with OTC Meguiars QD and hate to admit it but hos paint stays in great shape (it is coated with CqUk3).

I personally would iron remove and clay (just like wash, remove most debris possible before contact)

but there are those that think there not needed. I mean could we not polish paint to perfection before clay and iron remover?

And I mean if Jay Leno is gonna put out a detail video he kinda has to use his products.

Lastly he says he probably drives it once a month. That’s 300 days in 25 years.

Guys worth half a billion. The enviroment his car lives in is probably climate controlled hepa filtered bio dome. I gaurantee someone cleans car after every drive…. It has not lived a life our cars have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes chilly, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unwatchable detail+

It was defiantly geared towards the Walmart consumer. People who buy his buckets of products. I'm sure if he had an Iron remover or clay bar they sell, they would of done it first.

6. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i guess this is like the old adage of 4 people, each at a different corner and there's an accident and each see something differentUnwatchable detail+

One things for sure, all that was no accident!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

8. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some cringeworthy stuff there.

I had to question why he was using painters' tape, and then noting that it's too sticky. Um, they make tape specifically for car detailing, and even if it was expensive, it's not like Jay is short of a quid.

Simple Green for cleaning interior glass? On an irreplaceable ultra-expensive supercar?

I also get the impression that Jay has no idea what is in or how to use the products that have his name on the bottle. From what I can see, these products are from B&B Blending / Adam's.

At least their pressure washer is legit......................

10. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

I had to question why he was using painters' tape, and then noting that it's too sticky. Um, they make tape specifically for car detailing, and even if it was expensive, it's not like Jay is short of a quid.

Simple Green for cleaning interior glass? On an irreplaceable ultra-expensive supercar?

I also get the impression that Jay has no idea what is in or how to use the products that have his name on the bottle. From what I can see, these products are from B&B Blending / Adam's.

See...I turned it off after 2 or 3 minutes, so I missed this tape and...A DEGREASER ON GLASS, ###Unwatchable detail+

Yeah, some real "pros"Unwatchable detail+Unwatchable detail+Unwatchable detail+

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

12. Likes DFB, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unwatchable detail+

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    It was defiantly geared towards the Walmart consumer. People who buy his buckets of products. I'm sure if he had an Iron remover or clay bar they sell, they would of done it first.
    He has a color changing wheel cleaner that he coulda used. A lot of people use wheel cleaner. He also has a big and tar remover. Something most of us use before a polish.

Although paid promotion I don’t really feel like main goal was trying to push product. If he was I feel the shoulda showed wash to highlight his bucket and car wash. I just think Jay likes to show off his cars.

But yeah coulda did better detail to show all products. I guess kinda cool they used what they woulda used and not thrown every product they make at it.

I agree the geek way is better but a lot of folks do things differnt.

Mike Phillips waterless washes with a glass cleaner before polishing…

14. Likes chilly, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I was just so stunned I was slow hitting the eject button

I hope nobody is making any YouTube money off that

On the other hand, those clowns are certainly creating future business for real detailers
    Unfortunately this is why I continue to not be able to click detailing video links. Don't like the fact someone gets compensation even if I regret ever clicking on it...

16. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unwatchable detail+

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

From what I’ve read (not much) that auto and regular masking same just marketing. I’ve used both and no problem with either.

When I 1st got into detailing I tried to find gems that “did” what good stuff did at the best deal. Watched a lot of Dallas Paint Correction.

Once it became my hobby all that went out the window

Agreed on simple green. Don’t use that stuff on anything.

18. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Unfortunately this is why I continue to not be able to click detailing video links. Don't like the fact someone gets compensation even if I regret ever clicking on it...
    I’m that way with tech videos

Say you have an iPhone question and see a link addressing the problem, I click on it, and the video is in the most heavily accented “English” imaginable and my old ears simply can’t make heads or tails of it

The info could be the best in the world but if I can’t translate it what’s the point

But they get their click fee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast