autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: chilly checking in

Welcome back chilly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see you found your way back through the blizzard.

4. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you made it back

6. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chilly I saw that vid you put on MP's forum--typical realty fluff that doesn't show the most important part of the house--THE INSIDE OF THE GARAGE. Sheesh.

8. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hey Chilly I saw that vid you put on MP's forum--typical realty fluff that doesn't show the most important part of the house--THE INSIDE OF THE GARAGE. Sheesh.
    The garage is a work in progress

There has been a snowblower on a mat parked between the cars all winter and between that and shelves on both sides the space is limited, despite being about a 2 1/2 car garage

But we ordered this and had it delivered right as the first snow of the year hit and we will be working on getting as much out of the garage and into the shed as we can

Right now it’s just garden stuff, tires, etc

It’s 12’x24’ with lofts at each end

Right now the boss is recovering from spinal fusion surgery and can’t help me sort, discard, etc all the crap we moved into the new house but by late spring we should be on it

After I get enough room I’ll get a rolling cart and dedicated space for supplies and equipment

One thing I hadn’t thought of was the garage heater and how much dust and stuff it moves around when it fires up and starts blowing and it’s on the larger side where I work because of the extra room to allow vehicle doors to be fully opened

To do any paint correction, sealants, wax, etc I have to get the garage warmer than normal and then shut off the heater so I don’t get dust

Depending on outside temps and the wind I can work on a panel or possibly two before I have to turn the heat back on

I’m trying to think of a workaround but since it’s just a hobby it’s not that big of a deal

I’m also still fussing around with lighting

The electricians put in the extra ceiling boxes I wanted but I hadn’t taken the mounting struts for the garage door openers into consideration so I couldn’t install 4’ fixtures in all the locations as I had planned

I put up one of these 4’ led units and on paper it should have been awesome but it’s just kind of ok

These strips that just screw into the existing outlets put out just as much light, are 1/3 the price of the big one, and you can swivel and tilt them to get the best angle on your work

I’m not fully satisfied with either so I’m still looking at options

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    The garage is a work in progress

There has been a snowblower on a mat parked between the cars all winter and between that and shelves on both sides the space is limited, despite being about a 2 1/2 car garage

But we ordered this and had it delivered right as the first snow of the year hit and we will be working on getting as much out of the garage and into the shed as we can

Right now it’s just garden stuff, tires, etc

It’s 12’x24’ with lofts at each end

Right now the boss is recovering from spinal fusion surgery and can’t help me sort, discard, etc all the crap we moved into the new house but by late spring we should be on it

After I get enough room I’ll get a rolling cart and dedicated space for supplies and equipment

One thing I hadn’t thought of was the garage heater and how much dust and stuff it moves around when it fires up and starts blowing and it’s on the larger side where I work because of the extra room to allow vehicle doors to be fully opened

To do any paint correction, sealants, wax, etc I have to get the garage warmer than normal and then shut off the heater so I don’t get dust

Depending on outside temps and the wind I can work on a panel or possibly two before I have to turn the heat back on

I’m trying to think of a workaround but since it’s just a hobby it’s not that big of a deal

I’m also still fussing around with lighting

The electricians put in the extra ceiling boxes I wanted but I hadn’t taken the mounting struts for the garage door openers into consideration so I couldn’t install 4’ fixtures in all the locations as I had planned

I put up one of these 4’ led units and on paper it should have been awesome but it’s just kind of ok

These strips that just screw into the existing outlets put out just as much light, are 1/3 the price of the big one, and you can swivel and tilt them to get the best angle on your work

I’m not fully satisfied with either so I’m still looking at options

Go to a commercial electrical store, where electricians get their supplies. They usually have WAY way better lighting fixtures. I got some from one, incredible lights! And the price wasn't that much more, but these lights will last forever.

11. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chilly, I was mostly joking around and not trying to cajole you into posting internal garage pics, especially since you weren't ready for a fashion show

Bummer about the unit heater, I know those things really blow and are noisy, too. Good idea with the shed, hopefully you will have everything worked out to your satisfaction before too long!

13. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hey Chilly, I was mostly joking around and not trying to cajole you into posting internal garage pics, especially since you weren't ready for a fashion show

Bummer about the unit heater, I know those things really blow and are noisy, too. Good idea with the shed, hopefully you will have everything worked out to your satisfaction before too long!
    No problem at all

We (her) just have decades of crap we have moved from house to house that we never use and don’t need and it just takes up space

The boss is actually ready to pare down the collection and I’m all for it

At least I can park the cars inside and even if I have to move the snowblower and stuff it’s a small price to pay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Go to a commercial electrical store, where electricians get their supplies. They usually have WAY way better lighting fixtures. I got some from one, incredible lights! And the price wasn't that much more, but these lights will last forever.
    I will check around, thanks

chilly checking in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post

Hey Chilly! Great to see you able to post again - was wondering how life at the new house has been going.

My heart goes out to the Mrs on the back front (have had my own back adventures, but this isn't about me) - Hopefully things went as well as they could and she'll be feeling better soon!

For your heater, I wonder if ducting could be added to help diffuse the output to lessen the dust stirring effect without reducing heating performance?

17. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, bill walsh liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast