autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2024 Chicago Auto Show

See the Mach E’s. Been looking at one at a local dealership. Don’t need one but it was somewhat fun to drive.

Post Thanks / Like

I read something a while back about millennials not being as interested in cars the way earlier generations were. If they decide to get one, they don't always test drive them, or even sit in them, they just order online, and get it delivered. Someone in my neighbourhood got a new Tesla on Friday, I saw it go past my house on a tilt tray, all shiny and new. I didn't see the truck leave so I don't know what they traded in. Imagine buying a car never having sat in it, or even one the same. I sat in FJ Cruisers at the motor show long before I bought one, and test drove one about 2 years before I bought one, I even spoke to other owners if I saw them around.

I used to go to the Sydney International Motor Show every year, then they made it every other year, alternating with Melbourne, then in 2014 they just stopped. They tried to keep something going in Melbourne, but once Ford and Holden stopped manufacturing, it died.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I also noticed the people who rep'd the companies at the show yesterday, seemed to be going through the motion. It certainly had a different feel yesterday and I hate to admit it but dying a slow death seems to be "a thing".

As far as virtual and millennials/GenZ and cars, cars aren't and will never be VIRTUAL. Get in something that makes you feel alive, maybe with 3 pedals and play a song from a band with testoerone and go for a looooong drive and report back2024 Chicago Auto Show

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Trade shows in general have been in decline a long time, whether they be industry or consumer shows. I think for a lot of products the ability to watch a video online of someone touching and feeling and using something, rather than touching and feeling it in person, is enough for a purchase decision, without having to travel somewhere. I mean that's basically the Amazon business model, coupled with free returns.

5. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Klasse, those Mustang Mach-E's, were those production models, Ford concept cars, or someone else's customizations? I always found it amusing that Ford was so afraid of its customers that they had to call their first electric SUV a Mustang, we see a few of them around here and I've been in the car with a friend who saw one and got very confused, thinking that's what Mustangs are like now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So Klasse, those Mustang Mach-E's, were those production models, Ford concept cars, or someone else's customizations? I always found it amusing that Ford was so afraid of its customers that they had to call their first electric SUV a Mustang, we see a few of them around here and I've been in the car with a friend who saw one and got very confused, thinking that's what Mustangs are like now.
    The one with the big wing and rallye wheels is a concept, that green one is production, sorry don't know what that package is called, I don't pay too much attention to the Mocker-E 2024 Chicago Auto Show

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I don't pay too much attention to the Mocker-E
    Me either.

9. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing, great pics! I always appreciate your insights as you have great taste in cars. Cheers

11. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    Thank you for sharing, great pics! I always appreciate your insights as you have great taste in cars. Cheers
    Well thank you 2024 Chicago Auto Show

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This brings back memories.

Many years ago, my oldest daughter and I would do a roadtrip up to Chicago for the Auto Show. We'd drive up, spend the night in the suburbs, ride the train into down town, and then spend the entire day at the show. Back then it took up a good chunk of the McCormick. Along the way we'd consume an unhealthy amount of good pizza and Portillo's hot dogs. We'd get to see stuff on display like exoctics that our crummy St. Louis show never had. We were there for the debut of the Toyota FJ Cruiser one year. I still think I've got a Toyota they gave me somewhere...

It's a shame to see this show too has shrunk, but it looks like there is still some quality stuff to be seen. I've quit going to our local show. Only a handful of automakers even show up and those that do, are just "phoning it in". It's just not work the time and money.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12