autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Challenger SRT DEMON wide body. Last call.

2018 Colorado ZR2

2. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just trying to get caught up here, I didn't read the whole thread closely, but when I saw the title I figured the 700+ HP cars were going away, but the link showed only 400 something HP--why is this car stickered at over $100K?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Just trying to get caught up here, I didn't read the whole thread closely, but when I saw the title I figured the 700+ HP cars were going away, but the link showed only 400 something HP--why is this car stickered at over $100K?
    The SRT DEMON is 797 HP. Last call this year on Dodge's high HP vehicles. Including RAM TRX.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    The SRT DEMON is 797 HP. Last call this year on Dodge's high HP vehicles. Including RAM TRX.
    Ok that's what I figured. A few weeks ago I was talking to someone about the doom-and-gloomers who think the electrification of cars is going to result in boring cars, I was reminding them of 40 years ago, with the nexus of fuel economy and emissions regulations choked all the horsepower and driveablity out of cars, those of you who are old enough (or Klasse, the walking encyclopedia) will remember those anemic days. But the result of that was new technology and fantastic cars, culminating in these Chrysler's with just ungodly HP.

6. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok that's what I figured. A few weeks ago I was talking to someone about the doom-and-gloomers who think the electrification of cars is going to result in boring cars, I was reminding them of 40 years ago, with the nexus of fuel economy and emissions regulations choked all the horsepower and driveablity out of cars, those of you who are old enough (or Klasse, the walking encyclopedia) will remember those anemic days. But the result of that was new technology and fantastic cars, culminating in these Chrysler's with just ungodly HP.
    There are several vehicles from those times that I truly love, even though the power level was soooo bad. The Buick Grand National was a huge surprise to many of us back in the 80's lol.

I love the sound of a V8 and I've been unable to stomach many of the smaller performance engine sounds. I will admit that there are a few out there that I'm warming up to. There is a kid in our hood that has a WRX that I think is around a 2012 that I like the lower RPM growl. I think those engines have many various exhaust notes depending on your aftermarket choice.

8. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I will admit that there are a few out there that I'm warming up to. There is a kid in our hood that has a WRX that I think is around a 2012 that I like the lower RPM growl. I think those engines have many various exhaust notes depending on your aftermarket choice.
    The choice of exhaust makes all the difference. I'm exploring this for my BRZ and I've found you can choose from ear-splitting rattily garbage, to raspy/tinny breathy, to a low rumble that turns almost sonorous at high revs. If the neighbor has a low rumbly growl, he chose a good one.

I have to say the same goes for even V8's. There is a guy at our autocross events with a Mustang GT with the OEM Powerpack 1 or 2 and that Ford exhaust sounds amazing. On the other hand I've heard plenty of aftermarket exhausts on everything from Vette's to Challengers that are a rattily, poppy mess that sound like bowling balls in a cloths dryer.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes Big Dave, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    There are several vehicles from those times that I truly love, even though the power level was soooo bad. The Buick Grand National was a huge surprise to many of us back in the 80's lol.
    I always considered the beginning of the Grand National to be '84, but apparently it goes back further than that, and I guess I don't remember the T-Types starting as early as they apparently did. I do seem to recall Buick not being able to publish the actual HP number of the later GN's because it was higher than the Corvette, and Lloyd Reuss getting in a bit of trouble over that (I see he died a year or so ago).

But I was thinking 82'ish, or maybe it started with that EPA change in '81, when the GM cars wouldn't run when they were cold because they had the idle mixture turned down so low to meet the cold start emissions. That and the Crossfire engine in the 'Vette, and if I recall, the '82 Rabbit GTI had the fastest 0-60 time of any car C/D tested that year, at 10.something seconds. Dark days. But all that stuff started to turn around by the mid-'80's with the introduction of fuel injection, etc.

12. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always considered the beginning of the Grand National to be '84, but apparently it goes back further than that, and I guess I don't remember the T-Types starting as early as they apparently did. I do seem to recall Buick not being able to publish the actual HP number of the later GN's because it was higher than the Corvette, and Lloyd Reuss getting in a bit of trouble over that (I see he died a year or so ago).

But I was thinking 82'ish, or maybe it started with that EPA change in '81, when the GM cars wouldn't run when they were cold because they had the idle mixture turned down so low to meet the cold start emissions. That and the Crossfire engine in the 'Vette, and if I recall, the '82 Rabbit GTI had the fastest 0-60 time of any car C/D tested that year, at 10.something seconds. Dark days. But all that stuff started to turn around by the mid-'80's with the introduction of fuel injection, etc.
    The GN started in 82' and they weren't all black, actually two-tone silver and black w/4.1L V6's, not turbocharged but apparently they made a handful 3.8L V6 turbos for 82'...NO GN's for 83, just like no Corvettes for 83'.

The "real deals" started in 84' as "hot air" cars, non-intercooled and continued through 85', same deal with T-types...then intercoolers found their way into GN's, T-types, Turbo T's, Limited's and the GNX's, ofcoarse starting in 1986 and through late 1987.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

14. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2018’ DEMON = 808hp with premium / 840hp with +100 octane race fuel
    2023’ DEMON = 900hp with premium / 1025hp with E85

My modest SRT SS (807 with premium) and stage 2 installed this Spring 885hp with +100 octane race fuel
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123