autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody really surprised by this?

So if you connect your phone to your car, and send and receive messages through your infotainment system, the car companies can store and then sell those messages to third parties. I heard something about this in a podcast recently, but it appears that 4 of the largest automakers just won a court case that confirms that it's perfectly legal for them to do this.

The dude on the podcast said when you click "I agree" when you first connect your phone to your car, you're basically signing a contract allowing them to sell your messages, and probably other stuff your phone tells them about you.

I'm glad I have an older vehicle now, I have put a newer head unit in it, yeah, the FJ is so old you can actually replace the head unit in it. It did have Android Auto/Apple Carplay when I bought it, but I did a firmware update and they don't work anymore. I was annoyed, but not anymore.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/us-car...ore-sell-data/

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody really surprised by this?

Surprised...NOAnybody really surprised by this? I'm not on any social media, other than here and YouTube and I like it that wayAnybody really surprised by this?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. There are so many ways that you are tracked and survailed, and one may not evven realize it. Besides the social media apps and such, take android for instance...if you do not deep dive into your phone's app permissions when you first get a new one and even after updates you would be mind blown at how many apps track your location data even when you have your location turned off. I perso ally turn off every single app that was pre installed that i dont need, same goes for app permissions.

Same goes for your speech when you use the talk to text service. Your newer andriod phones seem to not come with a micro usb port for additional storage anymore. So once all your storage data is filled you are screwed. Use google photos to backup for photos and videos you say?? Why sure then they have access to those said things.

AI can take data from a picture you have taken and posted up at from that image find your location that the photo was taken.

Google is one of the worst search engines you can use. They track and survail and target you with adds. For many folks around the world..their cell phones along with the comapnies that run them know more about the person than their spouces/family.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6. Likes chilly, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Your newer andriod phones seem to not come with a micro usb port for additional storage anymore.
    I think you mean Micro SD.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    AI can take data from a picture you have taken and posted up at from that image find your location that the photo was taken.
    cell phones along with the comapnies that run them know more about the person than their spouces/family.
    Judgement Day is coming...and I mean the one from the Terminator movies. So I guess you're saying that before long the AI will be able to tell your wife where your girlfriend lives?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think you mean Micro SD.

Judgement Day is coming...and I mean the one from the Terminator movies. So I guess you're saying that before long the AI will be able to tell your wife where your girlfriend lives?
    Hahaha, no im not that type of person. And i cant say i remember any of the terminator movies.

Yes i ment a micro sd, thankyou

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it's time for me to rip the infotainment system out, and put in an 8-track so I can enjoy my entire ABBA collection

10. Likes Big Dave, chilly, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Guess it's time for me to rip the infotainment system out, and put in an 8-track so I can enjoy my entire ABBA collection
    Let me know how it goes, I'm still looking for a slot to put my CD's in.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just the beginning. Car companies are beginning to roll out subscription services. The minute a dealership offers me one is the minute I walk out the door and never look back at that company.

The future of cars is a subscription nightmare - The Verge

13. Likes Big Dave, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    This is just the beginning. Car companies are beginning to roll out subscription services. The minute a dealership offers me one is the minute I walk out the door and never look back at that company.

The future of cars is a subscription nightmare - The Verge
    BMW already has it IIRC, seat heaters for instance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I think that article is a little misleading, they single out GM, those subscription fees are for OnStar, their telematics service. Telematics, regardless of the company (I believe GM is the first that had it), has always been a subscription-based service. I'll give you a dollar, hell, make it $10 (in Eldo's $2 bills) if a dealer ever tells you that you have to subscribe to get your heated seats to work.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    BMW already has it IIRC, seat heaters for instance.
    Yeah, not here, read the article. I wish you guys would calm down. This kind of talk has been going on since GM changed to Torx fasteners to hold the headlights in...in like 1978. You should have heard everyone "they don't want you to be able to change your own headlight, they want you to take it to the dealer, pretty soon you won't be able to do any work on your own car". 1978. Torx. Calm down.

PS I've changed the headlights many times in my '82 Chevette...because I was able to get a Torx driver...in 1978.

PPS Remember when they came out with the tamper-proof Torx screws? Because "they don't want you to be able to fix the stuff you buy!" Yeah, I have a set of tamper-proof Torx drivers, too. It's the end of the world...still going, since 1978, and that was even BEFORE they made the first Terminator movie that you guys don't remember. If you guys are worried about this kind of stuff, try getting parts for an '82 Chevette, then you'll be crying about what the car companies are doing, it's a conspiracy, I tell you.

PPPS Oh lighten up, it's Sunday. Besides, Flash isn't here, somebody has to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast