autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Not anything to do with stay "tuned" but a cool mod for my EN nonetheless. First off BIG THANKS to BIG DAVE for finding the link for me, 2 of them infact and this got here to me from the bottom of the planet FASTFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

So what you guys are looking at is the rear foglight for a Hyundai i30N sedan, basically my car "down under"From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I've included a close up of the connection as we couldn't come up with the part # for it, so we'll go to "plan B" which is to wire it directly as the gray plug unscrews showing 2 wires, a green and black oneFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Any advice on making a light work without the proper pigtail harness? I'm thinking I'll use a simple toggle or rocker switch to turn it ON & OFFFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Once again, BIG THANKS to BIG DAVE and stay "tuned" for this one, it's a really big deal for me as I'm all about the little detailsFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    No worries Roger, I was just surprised at the parts guys who had no idea how to get a part number without a valid Australian VIN. Most parts guys I've dealt with have been GM Holden, and they were all car guys as well, so they understood wanting to customise and fit non standard parts to your vehicle, they usually already knew what you were planning, and what parts you needed. I guess it's just something more common amongst GM and Ford enthusiasts. Hey, maybe you're at the leading edge of a Hyundai-Kia wave of customisers.

My bullbar came with front fog/driving lights, and when they were fitting it, I asked if they could wire it in to the factory switch for the rear fog lights, they said no, definitely not, hooking in to factory wiring can cause unintended consequences. Anyway, having extra switches is cool, it's always good to have extra switches, and the FJ had 2 or 3 blanks for extra switches.

P.S. one of the local air force guys just got a new I30N sedan, I was telling him about yours, he's not going to do any mods straight away, it's currently fast enough, and doesn't want to risk the warranty for a couple of years at least, and he's aware of the knock sensor issue, he plans to hand wash carefully in his driveway, which should be fine, we don't have the winters that you guys get.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

2. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Warmer weather has brought more boost, hits 22 psi now.
    There is something about the air density at 60~70F that puts engines in their "happy place". My turbo'd cars seemed to run their best at about 65F and my N/A car now is really happy at 70F.

I'm also experiencing "surging" at 1/3-1/2 pedal throttle but when fully down it goes like stink! Apparently this is "a thing" with modern, boosted cars. My buddy did a Google search on this about partial throttle and it's across the boardFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!
    What type of "surging" are you getting? None of my turbo'd cars have ever exhibited anything like that, and I've not experienced it in other cars I've driven. Granted, they've mostly all been German.

Not anything to do with stay "tuned" but a cool mod for my EN nonetheless. First off BIG THANKS to BIG DAVE for finding the link for me, 2 of them infact and this got here to me from the bottom of the planet FASTFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

So what you guys are looking at is the rear foglight for a Hyundai i30N sedan, basically my car "down under"From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!
    Are you going to run it as a rear fog light or as an extra break light?

If running it as a rear fog, are you able to get an AUS market headlight switch and swap them out? In the BMW world this is a pretty common thing. People will add the bulbs to the rear fog assemblies, buy the European headlight switch, and then with an ECU tool turn on the setting to activate the Euro headlight switch.

If running it as an extra break light you might have other options. In the BRZ/86 world, turning the rear fog into an extra brake light is pretty common and there are lots of kits with different lighting styles. Most come with or have the option to buy a wire harness that taps into wiring behind one of the rear brakes lights and then plugs right up into the new light. Do those harnesses exist in the Hyundai modding world?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    There is something about the air density at 60~70F that puts engines in their "happy place". My turbo'd cars seemed to run their best at about 65F and my N/A car now is really happy at 70F.

What type of "surging" are you getting? None of my turbo'd cars have ever exhibited anything like that, and I've not experienced it in other cars I've driven. Granted, they've mostly all been German.

Are you going to run it as a rear fog light or as an extra break light?

If running it as a rear fog, are you able to get an AUS market headlight switch and swap them out? In the BMW world this is a pretty common thing. People will add the bulbs to the rear fog assemblies, buy the European headlight switch, and then with an ECU tool turn on the setting to activate the Euro headlight switch.

If running it as an extra break light you might have other options. In the BRZ/86 world, turning the rear fog into an extra brake light is pretty common and there are lots of kits with different lighting styles. Most come with or have the option to buy a wire harness that taps into wiring behind one of the rear brakes lights and then plugs right up into the new light. Do those harnesses exist in the Hyundai modding world?
    I am going to run it as a foglight for sure, didn't get the O.E. switch because I couldn't find it, just wanna get it hard wired to a seoerate switch.

As far as the "surging" goes, well, when I'm at speed and give partial throttle the tach will go up and down a bit and it stumbles until I take my foot off of the gas and/or give it the beans, it then goes like stink!

I'm going to find this article my buddy found and I'd like your educated thoughts on itFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Flash/Chip Tunes and Compressor Surge

Here it is

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I've never heard of that before. 2500~3500RPM would be right in the middle of steady state highway speeds in fifth or sixth gear. Anyone not hooning would probably land right in that zone quite often.

After reading through the article and the recommendations at the very bottom, it seems to come down to the tune itself. It would seem a tune which gives up a little bit of immediate torque at the bottom end in favor of a more linear power delivery will avoid the issue. APR even offered a tune that delivered torque and HP at a bit higher RPM levels to save clutches. Most of their power charts shows a progression that matches the OEM curve for both torque and power.

I'm only familiar with a couple of the major brands like Unitronic and APR for VW's and a couple of the other tuners like Dinan for BMW and never heard about this condition. However, it's a big world out there with lots of tuner options.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to have to pay someone to do some data logging for me and send the results to my tuner AND send my ECU back to Canada againFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

The one thing that's different from this Stage 1 and my previous one is the addition of my Stillen mid-pipe because previously I made like 318 hp on the pull and now I'm at 336 hp, again, based on the onboard dyno, it may not be as accurate but it has picked up gains and per some tuners a certain hp rating calls for thr upgraded HPFP. That said, when giving it the beans from a roll or launch control the EN pulls VERY hard, even in NORMAL mode.

The other option, lay down next to my bowl and put the stock ECU back in and accept 295/269 compared to 336/320From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!🫣From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!🫣

Post Thanks / Like

So I had some time to kill after work before picking up my daughter and headed out on the highway to try N mode at speed to see if it would do that again...it sure did, actually threw a code tooFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

It was generic code 0302 (misfire cylinder #2) I pulled over to scan it, then erased it and started up the car, no light and no misfire! A little further down the road I put it in N mode, stomped it from a roll and no problems.

Thoughts🫣From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Post Thanks / Like

Tuner says it's a plug or coilFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Thing is the coils are the originals and plugs have about 4K on them. He says the bad knock sensor probably caused the issue From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Thing is, the car ran STRONG immediately after getting the tune re-installed, I don't get it and I feel like throwing in the towel here🫣

It drove fine to work this morning, no issues, no cel.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend new plugs with changes you made. Maybe try the MSD’s again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I would recommend new plugs with changes you made. Maybe try the MSD’s again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did install new colder spark plugs with the modifications that I did back in the fallFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

If we figure out that I have a bad coil, I will take you up on that suggestion as well.

14. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast