autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Agree. I can see this coming from here. They probably got the old ECU back and have figured things out and will likely take that as a way of not having to pay or document the issue that may or may not be the underlying cause. The Moss act is a little grey when fighting it. My wife is a lawyer and worked with a firm that took consumer law cases like this. In the end, manufacturers do a LOT Of testing and documentation, and in the end all they will really have to prove is that their factory/stock stuff works, and if a different tune was applied, then their factory warranty will no longer apply as it's no longer their full design that they back up. It's not even so much about proving the tune caused it, they have hundreds of thousands of cases that can prove these things don't happen to stock vehicles, and that so long as the design stays within their parameters and the consumer side will have to back up their argument to the opposite effect. Tunes are not like using different motor mount or hard-part. Software is much different. There's a reason why the phrase is "pay to play"

I've tuned or modified nearly every car I've owned and gotten lucky to have either avoided issues or at least the BIG ones. I'm leaving my Accord stock for a number of reasons, but this is one of them. These newer 4cyl. turbo cars in this generation of engineering are really already pushing limits and so tightly tuned that nearly everything/anything tosses a code somewhere. Not knocking the Koreans as the new products are pretty nice, but it's still my opinion they aren't long-term reliable or as well designed as others in the business.

I've not kept up with this entire thread but my assumption is after his tune there were some odd issues and now the dealer and manufacturer are looking into them. I personally would suspect it's time to trade that sucker in a cut-bait.
    Thank youFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I'm not going to ask for you to read through but I'll give a "cliff note" version later but let's just say the issues didn't happen right away and a carwash is what has triggered the code here.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Agree. I can see this coming from here. They probably got the old ECU back and have figured things out and will likely take that as a way of not having to pay or document the issue that may or may not be the underlying cause. The Moss act is a little grey when fighting it. My wife is a lawyer and worked with a firm that took consumer law cases like this. In the end, manufacturers do a LOT Of testing and documentation, and in the end all they will really have to prove is that their factory/stock stuff works, and if a different tune was applied, then their factory warranty will no longer apply as it's no longer their full design that they back up. It's not even so much about proving the tune caused it, they have hundreds of thousands of cases that can prove these things don't happen to stock vehicles, and that so long as the design stays within their parameters and the consumer side will have to back up their argument to the opposite effect. Tunes are not like using different motor mount or hard-part. Software is much different. There's a reason why the phrase is "pay to play"
    They do seem to be using the mods to divert blame from a mechanical flaw on their point despite the fact intake pipes and tranny mounts have nothing to do with engine knock. Even if someone tries to use the Magnuson-Moss Act and proves unrelated mods aren't the source of the problem and the warranty is still in effect, it's an uphill battle vs a bone-stock car.

I've tuned or modified nearly every car I've owned and gotten lucky to have either avoided issues or at least the BIG ones. I'm leaving my Accord stock for a number of reasons, but this is one of them. These newer 4cyl. turbo cars in this generation of engineering are really already pushing limits and so tightly tuned that nearly everything/anything tosses a code somewhere. Not knocking the Koreans as the new products are pretty nice, but it's still my opinion they aren't long-term reliable or as well designed as others in the business. [/quote]

I've been pretty fortunate with my minor mods too. I also won't really do anything to the car until it's out of warranty. That gives me time to give the car a good "shake down" and once the warranty is up, I understand I'm fully responsible for anything that might go sideway and there won't be any warranty fights. Of course this is a lot harder with a Hyundai and their incredibly long warranties.

I personally would suspect it's time to trade that sucker in a cut-bait.
    I'm starting to think the same thing as painful as it might be. You might end up with negative equity, but trading it in or selling it off to Carmax may be a better option than a voluntary repo. If you kept any of the stock parts I'd swap back the more visible ones to help get a better trade-in/sale.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I might have some news by the time I get off of work....From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack, oneheadlite, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

...a bad ground wire to the ECUFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

SA called me right after I headed out on my route and told me this. A couple hrs later it was taken on a test drive and they said no codes came back this timeFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

He also said once the ground wire/bolt was cleaned and reconnected all the crazy things went away, like 395 F ambient tempFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

We'll driving it out to Wahlburgers tomorrow (belated Valentines Day out) and while heading there I'm going to octane learn it and try and feel some performance since they "thought" it was the ECU and took mine out and replaced it with a stock brain....ZzzzzzzFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I asked about the carwash and he said to go for it, I'll wait till next weekend for that...stay "tuned"From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

6. Likes Big Dave, Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    ...a bad ground wire to the ECUFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

SA called me right after I headed out on my route and told me this. A couple hrs later it was taken on a test drive and they said no codes came back this timeFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

He also said once the ground wire/bolt was cleaned and reconnected all the crazy things went away, like 395 F ambient tempFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

We'll driving it out to Wahlburgers tomorrow (belated Valentines Day out) and while heading there I'm going to octane learn it and try and feel some performance since they "thought" it was the ECU and took mine out and replaced it with a stock brain....ZzzzzzzFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I asked about the carwash and he said to go for it, I'll wait till next weekend for that...stay "tuned"From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I hope this is the end to the saga and gets you back to enjoying the car again.

It has been sad to read the troubles you've been having, nothing worse for a car guy than your pride and joy being a drain on your brain.

8. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s fantastic news! That has be be a huge relief.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    That’s fantastic news! That has be be a huge relief.
    It is but...how about the carwash? I assume using the car wash on a regular basis since July 2022 caused the corrosion on the ground? It's been removed, cleaned and re-installed, can I resume the car wash, maybe a little lessFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

The SA said to go for it, thankfully its too cold today but I'll be driving out to Wahlburger today, longish drive, so a good testFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Post Thanks / Like

So I had the chance to OCTANE LEARN the EN this afternoon on our way to Wahlburger this afternoon, showed 17 psi on the gauge, more on that laterFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

The first 2 graphs are from when I was challenged by an Infiniti G37x coupe. I didn't have time to set up launch control so I basically went from just taking my foot from the brake to the go pedal, put about 1.5 cars on himFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I then pulled onto a deserted industrial sub to try out launch control. Since I'm running winter tires and it's slightly above freezing I didn't set it too high, 2600 rpm. The 0-60 was 5.7 seconds, certainly could've went higher because it basically gripped and went (thank you Powerflex trio)From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I then checked out psi and power, it read 18 psi and the first 2 graphs were from the "door tag" with the G37x, the 2nd was the 0-60 pull. Now earlier the boost read 17 psi and dropped down to 16-15 but after these pulls it showed 18 psi but I'm sure it didn't hold that across the board, atleast I don't think soFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

The car is "rated" at 276 hp stock and I didn't even use NGS in either of these pulls either. As you can see it converts to 295 hp, not sure if the on-board dyno is reading wheel or crank but either way between the octane learning, intake/TIP & mid-pipe it makes more power over stock, so far so good but there isn't that "invisible hand" pushing you further into the seat w/o the Stage 1 tune, oh well....for nowFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

The old Stage 1 tune showed 322 PS which translates to almost 318 hp, so it made another 22 PS with the Stage 1From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

A trip to the dyno is coming next month if I had to guess...stay "tuned" and btw knowledge on these numbers, either way, would be appreciatedFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

12. Likes BudgetPlan1, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Klasse - glad they were able to find a measurable problem (.5v voltage drop) that had a tangible change when fixed (immediate change in ambient temp reading) vs another round of throwing parts that are hard to test. A bad ground is absolutely the kind of things that can cause gremlins (that can also vary as environmental conditions change).

Hopefully when they cleaned that ground they put some of that fancy dielectric grease on that they ordered to promote that point not corroding again.

When I’m at work tomorrow I’ll see if I can find out where that ground location is. I would say you shouldn’t have to scale your car wash habits based on this finding. It’s more likely an Every-Elantra-will-have-this issue, not a because-you-washed-it-so-much issue.

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, Big Dave, DFB, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Klasse - glad they were able to find a measurable problem (.5v voltage drop) that had a tangible change when fixed (immediate change in ambient temp reading) vs another round of throwing parts that are hard to test. A bad ground is absolutely the kind of things that can cause gremlins (that can also vary as environmental conditions change).

Hopefully when they cleaned that ground they put some of that fancy dielectric grease on that they ordered to promote that point not corroding again.

When I’m at work tomorrow I’ll see if I can find out where that ground location is. I would say you shouldn’t have to scale your car wash habits based on this finding. It’s more likely an Every-Elantra-will-have-this issue, not a because-you-washed-it-so-much issue.
    Thanks one, that location would be GREAT because who knows if they added the grease but I can ask tomorrow as I've got some "thanks" for the SA & mechanic who worked on my EN.

That said, I'm scared to wash it because, well, I don't get the 1326 code for the knock sensor with this ground issue. When this happened last year they replaced the knock sensor, this time it threw the same code and we went from new ECU to the ground issue...so how do I know the knock sensor is ok enough for the carwashFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast