autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

First off, I will say your brain gets used to the changes and your perceptions become recalibrated. When I moved from my GTI to the 435 I picked up 150-ish HP and about the same in torque. It felt like a rocket for the first couple of months. After a year or so of ownership I began to think it wasn't all that quick and I wanted more power, but it still was quite quick when driven properly.

A tune is software and it will apply the same settings to the ECU every time. The code doesn't change. What might change is how the engine and the mechanical bits hold up to the change and how other sensors nor included in the tune might adjust/react as well. Many ECU's "learn" so a problem might not show up right away after being flashed.

Also, mods aren't always cumulative, e.g. the more you add the more they improve performance by a specific amount. That's where it becomes a slippery slope and one you have to plan really carefully. Some mods might compliment each other, others nullify each other, and others might actually be detrimental. I remember a TV show years ago where they dyno'd heavily mod'ed cars and then analyized the results based on the build. Of the few episodes I watched I remember quite a few owners being rather disappointed in the results of their builds. It was quite eye-opening to me and left a lasting impression whenever I think about engine mods. Of course suspension mods are no different. You can throw a bunch of bits at a car that all seem to make sense and not end up with the result you hoped. For this reason I take a very slow/deliberate approach and only do one thing at a time, and even then don't really do too much.

I'd love to hear Oneheadlight's thoughts as our resident mechanic.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Desert, as you know it was a low boost tune with other adjustments made and "safeties" left alone, a "stockish" intake and larger TIP. I also added coils that were "supposed" to better and colder plugs, OEM coils back in, all done at once...for the record.

I too am waiting to hear from him and greatly appreciate YOUR input as wellFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah true about the but dyno settling down. I was never a modern America can car guy. Love the classics but never thought I’d be a Mustang/Camaro/challenger guy. Love the refinement of a Japanese car. A Japanese v8 was ultimate goal.

Wasn’t till my buddy had me drive the mustang that I got the bug. It had more HP than anything I had modded or tuned.

When I got the Camaro the lot I was at I went to go look at a Q50 redsport. The Mustang was fun but back to my roots. Till the guy points the Camaro out. Now I had seen it as I drove buy it and liked the color combo.

What I had not known was it was Procharged. I figured why not drive it. The thing got squirrelly in third flooring it. Car scared me. Never drove anything that fast, 600HP at the rear wheels. I drove the redsport after and no contest….

It felt “too fast” for about a month and now years later it seems mundane…. Like I feel like I need more HP….

You’ll always get use to and familiar with any HP gains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    When I got the Camaro the lot I was at I went to go look at a Q50 redsport.
    Was pondering a Q60 AWD Redsport before I ran across the Cayman. Sounded like a good all-season fun car. Probably lucked out passing on it as they seem to eat their turbos on occasion. Fun car ain’t a fun car if it becomes a PITA.

Did you drive the Q50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Was pondering a Q60 AWD Redsport before I ran across the Cayman. Sounded like a good all-season fun car. Probably lucked out passing on it as they seem to eat their turbos on occasion. Fun car ain’t a fun car if it becomes a PITA.

Did you drive the Q50?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I did. Just wasn’t as fun after the Camaro. Also the 3.5 liter v6 Nissans been using has been a tank. Not sure of the new 3.0 liter.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I did. Just wasn’t as fun after the Camaro. Also the 3.5 liter v6 Nissans been using has been a tank. Not sure of the new 3.0 liter.

The new 3.0's are not nearly as bulletproof. Loved mine, still feel it's a great looking design, although quite dated, but when I got mine the price was beyond great. Did a mild piggy back then a full AMS Tune then sold it to cash in on Covid Stupidity and am glad I did. Onced the boost was bumped, the intakes sounded great and the Sport Exhaust, which is an amazing deal/option, roared like a dragon. I miss the sound. Didn't have quite the Speed or HP of my Stage III Audi but it was fun in a different way.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I still think the Q60 coupe is one of the best looking two-doors on the road today. The sedan looked good, but the coupe is a head-turner for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I still think the Q60 coupe is one of the best looking two-doors on the road today. The sedan looked good, but the coupe is a head-turner for me.
    Especially in that dark blue with the off-white interiorFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

13. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard anything about my car today, guess the ECU didn't come in....or did they find something else, stay "tuned"From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

15. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I got a txt from my SA about an hour and a half ago and she said my EN was done. They replaced the ECU and both hornsFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I just don't feel right about the repair (ECU replacement) as it was doing what it did last July when they replaced the knock sensor. This time the screen said ECU but the OBD reader said 1326 (knock sensor)From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Now our resident techs and those in the know, can a bad ECU throw a code for the knock sensor or when it was ECU tuned something happen 5 monthes later to made my tuned ECU go bad and/or throw a 1326 code From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast