autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think this points back to your original hypothesis and the similarities to many BMW M cars with their lighted tachs that change color. I think the last couple of Vette generations might do the same thing. There is likely some active measures in the ECU which protect the engine from pushing too hard until the oil temps are good. Basically doing automatically what many of us with less sophisticated cars do in practice. Almost like a soft rev limiter.

Hope you get everything running smoothly and you're happy with the performance.
    I would definitely be proud of OEMs for doing such things, as I never heard of that being done in my tenure at VW. You could jump in your -20F Golf R and bounce it off the Rev limiter right away doing donuts in the Walmart parking lot and then a year later come in for oil consumption problems. No problem at all!!!! Lol.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    You need a scan tool on it while driving under load with a misfire counter displayed. That's what I would do with a VW if at the dealer still. The MIL will only come on once a criteria is met, i.e. enough misfires. A factory scantool would display the misfires. Or a scantool with that capability like a Snap-on Solus with the right Hyundai software. I'd be dying to see that.

I do miss diagnosing things like that the issue was all of my customers were under warranty still.....boo.

I wish I had such a tool or the dyno shop didFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    I would definitely be proud of OEMs for doing such things, as I never heard of that being done in my tenure at VW. You could jump in your -20F Golf R and bounce it off the Rev limiter right away doing donuts in the Walmart parking lot and then a year later come in for oil consumption problems. No problem at all!!!! Lol.

Unti Klasse mentioned it in this thread the only place I'd ever seen something like it was BMW M cars. On the tach there is a section starting near the top third (it varied by engine) which was lit. The lights either slowly went off one by one, or changed from red to yellow as the engine warmed up. I also think it would retard performance if you got into those danger zones until properly warmed up. The C8 Vette actually limits revs to 4K until break in is finished. The tach actually changes appearence on the screen. I belive I've read somewhere it does something similar when the engine is cold, but I don't have any real knowledge of them.

It was my experience like you describe with my Mk6 GTI that made me cautious. I heard too many accounts of people having turbo problems after beating on them when cold. Cold oil+fast spinning turbo = problems.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I wish I had such a tool or the dyno shop didFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I know nothing about dynos, have never been to one let alone on one, but I am surprised they can justify the insanely expensive dyno but not able to read basic engine operating conditions as well. Just seems odd to me I feel the two go hand-in-hand. You could see anything you wanted, not just power produced.

I could use the misfire counter to justify the results of a de-carb service. Along with photos. The photos shocked the customers. The misfire counter pleased me. Lol.

2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

7. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unti Klasse mentioned it in this thread the only place I'd ever seen something like it was BMW M cars. On the tach there is a section starting near the top third (it varied by engine) which was lit. The lights either slowly went off one by one, or changed from red to yellow as the engine warmed up. I also think it would retard performance if you got into those danger zones until properly warmed up. The C8 Vette actually limits revs to 4K until break in is finished. The tach actually changes appearence on the screen. I belive I've read somewhere it does something similar when the engine is cold, but I don't have any real knowledge of them.

It was my experience like you describe with my Mk6 GTI that made me cautious. I heard too many accounts of people having turbo problems after beating on them when cold. Cold oil+fast spinning turbo = problems.
    We <3 hot oil and happy turbos. I sit and idle for a minute after parking my car like it's a diesel lol. TDI habits die hard. RIP Golf, whatever you are now.

My VWs have eaten the factory fill oils(Castrol Edge). It is the piston rings though in this case that's been a 2.0TSI thing since gen 1, here we are on gen 4. At 500hp or more the rings are usually what tap out first when they fracture. Suddenly you gotta fill the oil when you fill you fuel tank hahaha. The Honeywell turbos have also had their consumption issues as well but like the piston ring issue top-shelf oils like Motul and Amsoil stop it cold. Can confirm.

Additionally, I recall at Ohio Diesel College we would warm the oil for some shop engines for start-up on the stands. 15W-40 Rotella in a cold shop doesn't flow the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had such a tool or the dyno shop didFrom &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!
    Get yourself an Autel MaxiAP AP200. <$70. Comes with lifetime subscription for one brand and you can purchase year subscriptions for others. Reads faults, clears faults, (in my experience, though only Audi/BMW/mini) reads all the value blocks available to factory scan tools. Can do electronic parking brake work, reset service indicators, and register battery replacements. Plus more, but that's mainly what I've used it for. Bluetooth dongle, works with your phone. I've been really happy with mine.

Unti Klasse mentioned it in this thread the only place I'd ever seen something like it was BMW M cars. On the tach there is a section starting near the top third (it varied by engine) which was lit. The lights either slowly went off one by one, or changed from red to yellow as the engine warmed up. I also think it would retard performance if you got into those danger zones until properly warmed up. ...
    On the M cars it's just a reminder to not hoon, there's no interference if you wanted to ping 8400 ice cold...

Klasse - Tried to listen close in the video but couldn't really make out much. I will say if the car is breaking up, that seems like it would be a hard part issue not a software thing - factory programming is going to do all it can to protect the catalytic converter, so it's not going to go into ignition (or likely even dramatic fuel) cut to limit power or RPM.

Only other thing I could think of would be if traction control was intervening on the dyno since you've got snow tires on a steel drum.

How's it been with the old coils back in? Maybe see if the Dyno house will show you some love and let you come back in for some pulls? Even if you had to pay again it would be good to know that your issue is resolved.

10. Thanks Desertnate, Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Get yourself an Autel MaxiAP AP200. <$70. Comes with lifetime subscription for one brand and you can purchase year subscriptions for others. Reads faults, clears faults, (in my experience, though only Audi/BMW/mini) reads all the value blocks available to factory scan tools. Can do electronic parking brake work, reset service indicators, and register battery replacements. Plus more, but that's mainly what I've used it for. Bluetooth dongle, works with your phone. I've been really happy with mine.

On the M cars it's just a reminder to not hoon, there's no interference if you wanted to ping 8400 ice cold...

Klasse - Tried to listen close in the video but couldn't really make out much. I will say if the car is breaking up, that seems like it would be a hard part issue not a software thing - factory programming is going to do all it can to protect the catalytic converter, so it's not going to go into ignition (or likely even dramatic fuel) cut to limit power or RPM.

Only other thing I could think of would be if traction control was intervening on the dyno since you've got snow tires on a steel drum.

How's it been with the old coils back in? Maybe see if the Dyno house will show you some love and let you come back in for some pulls? Even if you had to pay again it would be good to know that your issue is resolved.
    My buddy's car was running winter too but that was a good call thoughFrom &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!

I will be going back to the dyno soon and as far as how the car feels, well, I haven't even swung past the nearest industrial sub for a 0-60 pull yet, that said the 225 winter tires pale in comparison to my KN Pirelli's 235 and my "waiting for duty" Michelin Pilot Sport 4s w/6750 miles on them. My best 0-60 with the KN set up was 5.4 sec and the Michelin X-Ice's had me getting a 5.7 second time, never did a 0-60 pull with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, bad on meFrom &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be going back to the dyno soon and as far as how the car feels, well, I haven't even swung past the nearest industrial sub for a 0-60 pull yet, that said the 225 winter tires pale in comparison to my KN Pirelli's 235 and my "waiting for duty" Michelin Pilot Sport 4s w/6750 miles on them. My best 0-60 with the KN set up was 5.4 sec and the Michelin X-Ice's had me getting a 5.7 second time, never did a 0-60 pull with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, bad on meFrom &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!
    Remember though, it's not the off the line blitz, it's the higher gear/high load longer pull I'm curious about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Remember though, it's not the off the line blitz I'm curious about, it's the higher gear/high load longer pull I'm curious about.
    Oh yeah, that ALL I care about at this point because it's where my EN stumbled a bit, atleast it never through a codeFrom &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!

I'll never know for sure if it was the car being warmed all the way up or the coils, either way I'll know what it makes HP/TQ wiseFrom &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!

My tuner has offered to upgrade me from Stage 1 to Stage 2 for free (just pay the shipping) because he thought I was unhappy with my numbers but when infact I didn't really GET a number, LOL. I would need the upgraded HPFP from the 2.5T from the Sonata N-line to compensate for more boost/power, another $550...stay "tuned"From &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!

14. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought this yesterday for my EN. My buddy Marcin has the complete cat-back from Stillen, I opted for just the mid-pipe because I'm trying to keep it "OEM+". The piping is a little larger but the important part is NO resonator. Now you may be asking..."what about drone?". Well in NORMAL or ECO mode there's none but in N mode it has more bark, pops and bangs, my daughter loves when it does it now and I promised her this makes it even BETTERFrom &quot;stay tuned&quot; to T U N E D !!

16. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast