autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    stock C5 Corvette was 13.4 @ 105 and only got down to 12.8 @ 112 after throwing about $5k of LT headers, CAI, & a dyno tune
    You can get a c5 vette into the 11's for about $2000
    - 4000 stall
    - Long tube headers
    - drag radials
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    It's kind of hard to judge 1970 hp and performance to today. They had good quality gas back then. We got watered down swill now. I did see where Graveyard Carz dyno'd a 1970 Dodge Daytona vs a Hellcat. The Daytona put down like 205 hp to the wheels while the Hellcat put down something like 650 hp. Give that 440 some quality leaded gas and I'm sure it would run better. The other thing is that Polyglass tires suck compared to modern radials. Slap drag radials on almost any car and you drop half a second in the quarter.
    205 whp🫣...I mean better gas and adjusting the carb and timing would help but what, maybe 25-50 hp and I'm being generous! Growing up in Detroit I heard about the "legends" but ad I've gotten older these are like high school football game stories, LOL.

I love muscle cars and it's my DNA but today's cars are MONSTERS, even my old 87' GN isn't a match for today's cars, well, stock I should sayFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    - 4000 stall
    - Long tube headers
    - drag radials
    WhatFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

It's a 345-350 hp LS...11'sFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    With that said the previous gen looks like a Transformer and yes, the current Type-R is more "restrained" but now looks like an adult designed it, plus it's much wider than a regular Civic on the road.

That leads me to the GR4 Corolla, it's comedic looking but in a GOOD way, I love that! I mean I'm 53 yrs old and I'd drive that in a heartbeat, love em'! Savagegeese did a review of all the current cars in this segment a little bit ago and was disappointed in the GR4 Corolla, others have been too, saying it's not "edgy" enough and doesn't let you get too crazy, surely there's something to thisFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!
    Five years ago, I wouldn't touch an STI or Type-R with a 10' pole and would have told you the picnic table wing was a deal breaker. Today, at 50, I'm thinking "hell, yeah! I'll take two!" Great driving cars are a rapidly dying breed. I don't care what they look like and all that matters is whether they put a smile on my face as I toss them into the corners...and my smile streatches to my ears under the g-loading. The fact they look immature makes them even better. I'm already known as the "weird guy who drives a sports car and not a truck", so why not lean into it all the way!

I've really come to appreciate the Type-R due to Honda's ability to eliminate/manage some of the typical high HP shenanigans you get from a FWD car like torque steer and understeer. Only VW has come close with the GTI and Golf R. A 300+ HP hatchback with neutral handling? Yes, please!

It's a 345-350 hp LS...11'sFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

A C5 is pretty light by modern standards at about 3200 lbs. Power-to-weight ratio can do a lot to make a lower HP car properly quick and often faster than a car with significantly more power. Same with weight balance and suspension set up. A great example is the C8 Stingray is faster than a C7 Z06 because they moved the weight closer to the rear axle and totally re-worked the suspension to better control weight transfer and balance.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Five years ago, I wouldn't touch an STI or Type-R with a 10' pole and would have told you the picnic table wing was a deal breaker. Today, at 50, I'm thinking "hell, yeah! I'll take two!" Great driving cars are a rapidly dying breed. I don't care what they look like and all that matters is whether they put a smile on my face as I toss them into the corners...and my smile streatches to my ears under the g-loading. The fact they look immature makes them even better. I'm already known as the "weird guy who drives a sports car and not a truck", so why not lean into it all the way!

I've really come to appreciate the Type-R due to Honda's ability to eliminate/manage some of the typical high HP shenanigans you get from a FWD car like torque steer and understeer. Only VW has come close with the GTI and Golf R. A 300+ HP hatchback with neutral handling? Yes, please!

A C5 is pretty light by modern standards at about 3200 lbs. Power-to-weight ratio can do a lot to make a lower HP car properly quick and often faster than a car with significantly more power. Same with weight balance and suspension set up. A great example is the C8 Stingray is faster than a C7 Z06 because they moved the weight closer to the rear axle and totally re-worked the suspension to better control weight transfer and balance.
    I watched Savagegeese when the C8 came out and on their home track the C7 GS was faster than the C8From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Maybe 45+ minutes away from you is Kil-Kare in Xenia. The fun doesn't have to end......lol
    Checked it out on a map when we moved down here...1.5hrs away so unfortunately takes the spur of the moment aspect out of it...which is how we ended up at the track most of the time aside from planned rentals. Wednesday night, nice evening, home from work in time, why not go hang out at the track for a few hours? Run a few times, watch all manner of other stuff go down the track...vans, SUV's, high-school kids in their parents Chevy Caprice's, snowmobiles, serious points racers...variety on Wednesday nights was entertaining...but not too much either. Nice way to spend a Summer night, have some fun and still make it home at a reasonable hour.
    - 4000 stall
    - Long tube headers
    - drag radials
    Never really wanted to 'break into' the drivetrain at all. Bolt-on's OK and could only do so much with the cruisin' 2:73 gears....made for easy launches though! Tires were another PITA I didn't wanna deal with. For me, it's all about how fast you can run without really altering the main point of the car for us...that being something that is fun to drive every day without being overbearing. Don't think my wife would have enjoyed driving around with a high stall converter w tires that you have to watch the weather to see if it's going to be OK that day or will it rain.

There's enough stuff going on at Mid Ohio Road course if we wanna be entertained but that's generally $1000/weekend kinda commitment vs $40 a night at the old dragsrtip. Is a boatload more fun though...

8. Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched Savagegeese when the C8 came out and on their home track the C7 GS was faster than the C8From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

The C8 is properly fast. Here is what I was basing my comments. It was actually testing numbers against a ZR1, not a Z06. My memory was a touch off. It didn't beat the ZR1, but it was within fractions of it despite a significant power difference. I did find a couple articles and associated videos from AutoEvolution and GM Authority which put a C7 Z06 against a C8 Stingray. The C8 won with AutoEvolutio and the C7 won with GM Authority. In both cases the difference was around .3 sec in the 1/4 mile.

Take a look here: Motor Trend C8 Test

MotorTrend got one of the first C8's 0-60 down to 2.8 seconds which is faster than GM could do (or would claim). That's faster than their test of the ZR1 at 3.0 and the C7 Grand Sport at 3.8. They don't mention the Z06, but it is probably safe to assume the C7 ZR1 is quicker to 60 than the Z06, though likely not much due to traction issues. In their testing, the ZR1 was only .3 quicker than a C8 Stingray despite having 265hp less under the hood.

What I find really impressive from the testing is the C8's ability to hang ahead of the C7 ZR1 in the figure 8 and very close to the C7 Z06. I'm actually surprised the Z06 did that well.

I'm surprised it did so poorly with Savagegees. Randy Pobst liked the C8 much better than a C7 GS when he drove them side by side at the track. C7 vs C8

Not being a MotorTrend shill here, but I do admire Randy Pobst and his LONG career as an accomplished race driver, instructor, and the work he does for amateur racing with the SCCA. The guy knows his stuff.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Ls1 is still a pretty stout motor even by today's standards.

I ran 11.9 in a full weight Ls1 camaro a few years ago with a Yank 4000 stall, long tube headers and Mickey Thompson Et Streets with stock 3.23 gears.

It's been a few years since I ran my car but this fall I fully expect to run a 10.8 @ 125 mph at full weight. And that's without boost....

C5 vetts are light and also cut through the air sooooo good the faster you go.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran 11.9 in a full weight Ls1 camaro a few years ago with a Yank 4000 stall, long tube headers and Mickey Thompson Et Streets with stock 3.23 gears.

It's been a few years since I ran my car but this fall I fully expect to run a 10.8 @ 125 mph at full weight. And that's without boost....

Holy sh!t manFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Post Thanks / Like

Hell yeah brother!

My lid/catback/2.73 car is even fun. I know they start to party with a converter and tires though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast