autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuning advice...especially those with experience!

2021+ Elantra N Factory N-Performance Intake Set - Shark Racing

This is my intake, factory Hyundai part. The TIP (not shown here) is from Shark Racing, made to work with THIS intake.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what the stage 3 is but I would go stage 3
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

4. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    Don't know what the stage 3 is but I would go stage 3
    Stage 3 requires meth injection and larger FMIC, not happening. That said, a guy in Canada has an EN that ran an 11.9@123 mph, he's had to have thrown the kitchen sink at the carTuning advice...especially those with experience!Tuning advice...especially those with experience!

Fwd and drag racing don't really go together, although people do it. I'm more into "from the roll", in Mexico Tuning advice...especially those with experience! ofcoarseTuning advice...especially those with experience!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I'm leaning towards Stage 1 as the supporting mods for Stage 2 add another $800 but it's not really so much about the money as it is a "noticeable" difference between Stage 1 and 2Tuning advice...especially those with experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Been modifiying forced induction cars since the early 90's. Best advice is to go slow enough to include all the supporting mods and ensure you are prepared to replace or repair things should it go south. It can and will eventually as per the odds, so just go in knowing that.

1st piece of advice is to ensure you have the proper cooling system mods to support the heat.
    My vote would be go stage 1. You're tuning your car that's fun, not tuning your fun car.

Meaning: This is your daily driver you depend on that also happens to be a fun car you can tune.
    Not: Your fun secondary car that can be sidelined because under condition XYZ it's got a strange hiccup or "Well, dang - I spun the impeller off the turbo" (Obviously not likely, but ya get what I'm saying. More likely would be something like BMWs where they blow the charge pipe up under boost).

For a primary car, I'd rather stay conservative. That way if you get a tank of gas that's not as clean 91 octane as all those other tanks, or whatever the case may be, you're running with as much safety margin as possible.

7. Thanks Desertnate, Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've danced around the tunes a bit on several cars and here are some thoughts/questions.

- Do you have the manual or the DCT? When I was looking at tuning my GTI one of the considerations was the clutch in the manual. The engine internals would take upwards of 400hp easily on a stage 3 tune, but you had to be careful with even a stage 1 tune due to the clutch not being able to handle the torque. One tuner even made a stage 1 version specifically for manuals. DCT owners had no worries.

- Is the air intake actually better than stock? When shopping intakes for my GTI, BMW, and now BRZ I found the OEM intakes are actually better than any aftermarket options. The OEM versions bring in a larger amount of air more efficiently than most of the aftermarket products. The only gain with the aftermarket was more intake noise, if that's your thing. Some aftermarket options also bring in more hot air from under the hood which is counter productive. In the BRZ/86 world, guys who have turned them into race cars actually still use the OEM intake for this reason.

- If you go stage 2, how will the engine cooling hold up? Will you need a bigger/better intercooler? Will you have to do any exhaust upgrades like headers to allow the engine to exhale more freely?

From other platforms I've owned, stage 1 is usually the safe bet. All you really need is a simple flash to get the extra power. Other mechanical bits really didn't add any additional performance. It was a win/win. More power, low cost, low risk! Good stuff!

Any suspension tunes? I've always worked on making the car corner better with the power it had before working on the power. Any thoughts to a rear sway upgrade to dial out some of the FWD understeer?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Thanks oneheadlite, Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, PaulMys, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    - Is the air intake actually better than stock? When shopping intakes for my GTI, BMW, and now BRZ I found the OEM intakes are actually better than any aftermarket options. The OEM versions bring in a larger amount of air more efficiently than most of the aftermarket products. The only gain with the aftermarket was more intake noise, if that's your thing. Some aftermarket options also bring in more hot air from under the hood which is counter productive. In the BRZ/86 world, guys who have turned them into race cars actually still use the OEM intake for this reason.
    The shop I work at we do probably 80% BMWs, 10% Audis, 10% Minis. I can't tell you how crazy it makes me when the 335 guys come in with naked dual cone intakes just soaking in the heat... No box, no heat shields, nothing.

Also factor in directing air flow into the equation - if your car has a MAF, the MAF was designed in tandem with the factory air box for the air flow to move just so to make sure it crosses the sensor providing it the readings it requires. I've had cars with odd faults/mixture issues that stemmed simply from a poorly fitting aftermarket air filter in the stock air box...

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    The shop I work at we do probably 80% BMWs, 10% Audis, 10% Minis. I can't tell you how crazy it makes me when the 335 guys come in with naked dual cone intakes just soaking in the heat... No box, no heat shields, nothing.
    A fun one I saw this week was an intake for the 86/BRZ platform from a reputable aftermarket brand. It had the box around the cone air filter, but it was designed to allow "more induction noise". They did that by cutting big slots into the side of the box...which open directly into the engine bay....
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    A fun one I saw this week was an intake for the 86/BRZ platform from a reputable aftermarket brand. It had the box around the cone air filter, but it was designed to allow "more induction noise". They did that by cutting big slots into the side of the box...which open directly into the engine bay....
    Reminds me of my VR6 corrado days. Myself and anyone I knew with a VR6 would cut the fender side of the lower airbox out for that satisfying intake CHO-WAAAAP noise without pulling all the hot air in.

15. Likes Klasse Act, PaulMys, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be answering questions in-depth when I get off of work today, thank you guys!

17. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I says go big or go home…buy once cry once. I know no other way. I went from a stock 360hp to 650 in my diesel. Haven’t changed it since and the smiles per mile is what it’s all about anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes Klasse Act, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast