autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuning advice...especially those with experience!

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    My vote would be go stage 1. You're tuning your car that's fun, not tuning your fun car.

Meaning: This is your daily driver you depend on that also happens to be a fun car you can tune.
    Not: Your fun secondary car that can be sidelined because under condition XYZ it's got a strange hiccup or "Well, dang - I spun the impeller off the turbo" (Obviously not likely, but ya get what I'm saying. More likely would be something like BMWs where they blow the charge pipe up under boost).

For a primary car, I'd rather stay conservative. That way if you get a tank of gas that's not as clean 91 octane as all those other tanks, or whatever the case may be, you're running with as much safety margin as possible.
    Solid answer, well stated sir.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks oneheadlite, Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be going Stage 1 with suspension upgrades next.

Like oneheadlite said, it is your DD.

I'm excited to follow along here, Klasse. Keep us posted. I had 2 different BMW's i "tuned" in the past and know how thrilling it is to feel the 'ole butt dyno.

And you're right...it isn't about chasing down M3's or 911's. It's for YOU. And when you feel those changes for the 1st time it's exciting.

4. Likes oneheadlite, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we’re talking future road map, if you do suspension I highly recommend the Eibach Pro Kit springs. Tasteful lowering, with a notable improvement in handling but without a punishing (or comically bouncy…) ride.

Did them in both my last 2 avants. I just put them over the stock shocks and struts (rear shocks lasted 150k with the springs in before they started leaking, but the car did have 270,000 miles at that point…)

If you do shocks and struts, highly recommend the yellow Koni Sports. Single (rebound) adjustable, usually ride better than stock sport suspension. As much as I love Koni, their silver auto-adjusting ones (FSV I think?) were no good in the couple cars I saw them in.

6. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With regard to suspension my approach has always been "how does it feel?" First.

Body roll more than bounce? Sway bars help there. Bounce or "contact patch loss?" Springs/shocks.

I like to spend where i feel on suspension.

8. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Koni Sports..... nothing short of amazing
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've danced around the tunes a bit on several cars and here are some thoughts/questions.

- Do you have the manual or the DCT? When I was looking at tuning my GTI one of the considerations was the clutch in the manual. The engine internals would take upwards of 400hp easily on a stage 3 tune, but you had to be careful with even a stage 1 tune due to the clutch not being able to handle the torque. One tuner even made a stage 1 version specifically for manuals. DCT owners had no worries.

- Is the air intake actually better than stock? When shopping intakes for my GTI, BMW, and now BRZ I found the OEM intakes are actually better than any aftermarket options. The OEM versions bring in a larger amount of air more efficiently than most of the aftermarket products. The only gain with the aftermarket was more intake noise, if that's your thing. Some aftermarket options also bring in more hot air from under the hood which is counter productive. In the BRZ/86 world, guys who have turned them into race cars actually still use the OEM intake for this reason.

- If you go stage 2, how will the engine cooling hold up? Will you need a bigger/better intercooler? Will you have to do any exhaust upgrades like headers to allow the engine to exhale more freely?

From other platforms I've owned, stage 1 is usually the safe bet. All you really need is a simple flash to get the extra power. Other mechanical bits really didn't add any additional performance. It was a win/win. More power, low cost, low risk! Good stuff!

Any suspension tunes? I've always worked on making the car corner better with the power it had before working on the power. Any thoughts to a rear sway upgrade to dial out some of the FWD understeer?
    Lots of great questions here, let me address them:

1. I've got the DCT, it's a wet clutch and 8 spd, an upgrade from the dry clutch, 7 spd unit from my old ES. This transmission is very responsive, not a PDK but then again, what isTuning advice...especially those with experience!

2. The stock intake is very good actually, large diameter pipe between the air box and TIP and the actual airbox is large but has a normal, drop in panel filter. The N Performance intake is an upgraded part across the board. For starters it has a large, cone K&N-type, washable filter. It also has an easy to remove e design, simply twist and it comes out of the side of the box for easy cleaningTuning advice...especially those with experience! The TIP has a larger opening for better breathing, dyno proven hp/tq imorovementTuning advice...especially those with experience!Tuning advice...especially those with experience!

3. The N75 Stage 2 doesn't require a larger FMIC, probably because the EN has a larger FMIC than the Veloster N and also needs a better FMIC due to tye EN having a larger turboTuning advice...especially those with experience!

4. The EN has an adaptive suspension, so it really doesn't need any work there. Yeah I'm sure if it was being tracked alot some springs would help but if you look at the pics of my car it has a great stance! Also the sway bars and bushes are all tuned and keep in mind thr lead engineer for this car was at BMW for over 20 yrs in charge of the M cars, you don't just forget things because you've come to Hyundai, he's put his stamp on the Stinger and N cars already and it showsTuning advice...especially those with experience!

When I took the car on the Dragon and surrounding roads last year it proved itself time and time again. The turn in was incredible, I could just turn harder and faster with each curve, car had me yelling it's greatness constantly!

I've got the trio of Powerflex bushes going in the EN to help with wheel hop, all 3 are the street versions because IMO the race ones are probably too aggressive for a daily driver because that's what my EN is...a DDTuning advice...especially those with experience!

After some thought and careful reading all of your comments (thank you) plus my own needs, additiinal reading and logic, I'm leaning towards the N75 Stage 1. Ultimately this IS my DD, so a bump of 25 whp and about 35-40 wtq is going to make me happy without a doubt! Sure Stage 2 has a bit more but surely it makes more boost and that does put a little more stress on the engine AND makes more heat AND is a slight gain per N75 themselves. They suggested the Stage 1 per my needs/wants as well. Even if I went Stage 2 there's always another car out there faster, there always is and to be honest, these cars run a consistent 13.0-13.4 @104-108 mph, they're THAT fast stock, or quick for some of you out there. One guy with a stock EN and only 18" tires/wheels ran a 13.1 having issues getting the launch control to work and then, having figured it out, cut a 12.9 quarter mile time...pretty impressive for what's a family hauler that goes around corners and can and does, in my case, gets 37-40 mpg on a run in ECO mode AND handles grocery duties just fine thank youTuning advice...especially those with experience!

A comment was made about a hiccup or possibly some bad gas, another thing to consider as well and fwiw we have access to 93 octane everywhere here.

It was only a decade ago where I had my Abarth 500 with numerous upgrades, including a 500Madness piggyback and upgraded FMIC (replacing the pair of side intercooler and all that pipingTuning advice...especially those with experience! It also had a hot air intake and numerous chassis braces. Before that we've gotta go waaaay back to the mid to late 90's where I had my 87' Grand National modded, FBO's on a tired 80-100K car that ran 12.6@109 mph w/1.91 60 ft time and had the mods to go high 11's but didn't have the trans/stall converter/new valve springs to get there, just a tired car at that point.

Soooo, please contine to moment and ask questions and feel free to check out N75, I posted a link to it as well as a link to the intake/TIP I already have but NOT installed as of yet.

...but wait, there's more! Although the EN has a true tuned exhaust which is valued btw, companies like Stillen and Borla have cat-back systems for the EN. The Borla system has what is basically a scavenger collector built into it, 3" T304 SS too. The Stillen system is dyno proven to make 14 whp/14 wtq on a stock car, that number would probably drop on a tuned car I'd think. I'm bringing up the exhaust because if I go this route it would add more power to the EN and I'm wondering if at that point I'd need that HPFP to help things along....thoughtsTuning advice...especially those with experience!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Borla Exhaust for 2022+ Hyundai Elantra N - YouTube

Here's 1 exhaust option...

Post Thanks / Like

+2022 Hyundai Elantra N STILLEN Cat-Back Exhaust | Sound Clips + DYNO - YouTube

This is yet another Tuning advice...especially those with experience!

Out of the 2, which do you guys like betterTuning advice...especially those with experience!

Post Thanks / Like

What about driver mods? Any plans to attend an HPDE with an instructor or start autocrossing?

One thing I've learned over time is modern performance cars are phenomenally capable and they will do amazing things if you know how to extract it.

My BRZ is mechanically stock right now. When I first bought it I had plans to start upgrading the suspension. However, after 1.5 autocross seasons in it I'm starting to see it's brilliance the faster I get and the more I run it. I've learned it was my sloppy driving that lead me to think I needed suspension mods, when what I may really need is to upgrade the brakes. I really want to run it more and continue to learn what it really needs.

Cosmetic mods will be a given and I'm highly tempted to do an exhaust, just for a bit better noise out back. Something deep and rumbly, not tinny with cracks and pops.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    What about driver mods? Any plans to attend an HPDE with an instructor or start autocrossing?

One thing I've learned over time is modern performance cars are phenomenally capable and they will do amazing things if you know how to extract it.

My BRZ is mechanically stock right now. When I first bought it I had plans to start upgrading the suspension. However, after 1.5 autocross seasons in it I'm starting to see it's brilliance the faster I get and the more I run it. I've learned it was my sloppy driving that lead me to think I needed suspension mods, when what I may really need is to upgrade the brakes. I really want to run it more and continue to learn what it really needs.

Cosmetic mods will be a given and I'm highly tempted to do an exhaust, just for a bit better noise out back. Something deep and rumbly, not tinny with cracks and pops.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    I've had this suggested to me many times over the years, especially by people who are regulars. Now before I say what I'm going to say I'm not the best driver in the world when it comes to "performance" driving, just the truth as I've never been on a track as a driver. Now that said, I drive for a living and for decades now, so having a steering wheel in my hand is 2nd nature and because I'm more of a defensive driver, I'm not typically going to do anything stupid, i.e. my Tail of the Dragon run. Speaking of that, I get to sharpen my skills out there but I'll say I'm not a fan of momentum, so pushing it on the Skyway going down hill has me with "trust issues" but the thing is I know my personal limits which makes me a great driver, too many heros out there and everywhere for that matter.

Speaking of heros I've watched too many YouTube videos of Stigs at track days and don't need to be around those people. Is it fair for me to gloss everyone like that, no, but between that and all the rules like helmets, etc, just not interested. I can't stand being around alpha dogs and just wish I could afford to rent a track to myself...oh wellTuning advice...especially those with experience!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast