autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer Shenanigans

My daughter texted me yesterday to tell me the Toyota dealer called and they got in a 2023 Rav 4 with the equipment my daughter and SIL had been looking for and she was headed over to see it

This was her first new car that SHE was going to purchase, I bought her previous cars

I warned her to steer clear of all the add ons that the financing people throw at you, that I would take care of paint correction and protection, etc

She texts me back a while later that she likes the car and it's fully loaded, INCLUDING some never heard of before DIAMOND HARD CERAMIC PAINT PROTECTION and DIAMOND GLASS PROTECTION...

They aren't even offering this crap as add ons anymore, they are just putting it on the vehicles before they even put them out for sale and tacking the cost on the dealers price because they know people are so desperate for new Toyotas they will cough up the $$$

I didn't ask her what that crap cost because I didn't want to rain on her experience because she ended up buying the car

Anyone else running into this?

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Shenanigans

When I bought my EN last year it had the full Xzilon package already added to it, surely applied by some "tech" at the dealership, not to mention the market adjustment which basically cancelled out the extra they gave me for my blue ES.

A buddy of mine just bought a brand new Civic Type-R and paid the $5K mark up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    They aren't even offering this crap as add ons anymore, they are just putting it on the vehicles before they even put them out for sale....
    Or so they claim. Most just add the price of this garbage to the final price without even applying it.

I mean, how is the average buyer going to tell if a crappy paint sealant has or hasn't been applied?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes chilly, Bobh59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking at models that are still in short supply, they are still getting away with this garbage. As inventory has increased and sales have decreased because of the markups, I've started seeing the dealerships willing to deal on cars they have a lot of on the lot.

When we bought our pilot they tried adding a bunch of accessories we didn't want. When I told them I'd go across town and buy at the other guys because we had to order, and they weren't doing it, they matched. I also got them to agree to the price at time of order because apparently Honda doesn't lock in price and wants the buyer to be responsible for price increases that occur prior to delivery.

7. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    If you're looking at models that are still in short supply, they are still getting away with this garbage. As inventory has increased and sales have decreased because of the markups, I've started seeing the dealerships willing to deal on cars they have a lot of on the lot.

When we bought our pilot they tried adding a bunch of accessories we didn't want. When I told them I'd go across town and buy at the other guys because we had to order, and they weren't doing it, they matched. I also got them to agree to the price at time of order because apparently Honda doesn't lock in price and wants the buyer to be responsible for price increases that occur prior to delivery.
    Sadly that is not an option here, there are 3 Toyota dealerships in the state and all in different cities

We are a captive audience and they know it and take full advantage of it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Sadly that is not an option here, there are 3 Toyota dealerships in the state and all in different cities

We are a captive audience and they know it and take full advantage of it
    They saw her coming and had the only Joker in the deck. The only way she could have won was to walk and you and I and the dealer knew that was not happening.

10. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As soon as she sat in that Rav and let that new car smell hit her senses, it was all over. She didn't make the best decision, just let her enjoy her new car.

12. Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes. I remember watching the "detailers" at the end of the shop applying " coatings" to new cars. I could hear the clearcoats crying over the sound of impact guns.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously I wasn't there but this sounds suspiciously similar to her info she relayed to me in her texts as the afternoon wore on

Kendall has a habit of putting together "packages" of the "most requested add ons" and charging accordingly, which is convenient in a way if you happen to want all the crap they specify

IDK, she could have just ordered exactly what she wanted but like Ron said, that new car smell is intoxicating, and it has most of the bells and whistles that my car has and she obviously was happy with the overall deal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast