autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Shenanigans

That was my thought too. Having VIN etchings all over the car will aid law enforcement if they are building a case against people who run black market parts operations/chop shops, but that does nothing for me financially for the investment. It won't make the car any less likely to be stolen, which is probably why insurance companies don't give a discount for it any more, or at least mine doesn't.

If the VIN etched pieces of the car are separated after being stolen, the car will have been totaled by insurance long before all the pieces have been recovered and matched. At that point the car is really just evidence to a crime and will never be re-assembled and returned to me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This kind of nonsense has been going on for over a decade, but seems to have picked up in the popularity in the post-pandemic market.

I remember looking for a car back in the mid-2000's and there was a dealership company, I think the Florida/Georgia area, did this on EVERY car on their lot - all makes and at dealerships across several states. Back then it was LoJack and these silly coatings. I didn't realize the dealerships were all owned by the same company until I called the second or third one and got the same exact verbiage about their add-ons, which were already installed and non-negotiable. They seemed shocked when I politely responded by stating I was not interested in paying for something I didn't want and would look elsewhere for the car I wanted. And I did...my local dealership found one in Minnesota and shipped it.

These days, I think some of the more slimy dealers are using it to add extra profit to traditionally low-profit cars. Doesn't surprise me it was a Toyota. They seem to be struggling with inventory more than others these days. Our local Toyota dealer has essentially become a used car dealership due to still having few/no new car inventory. Most of the other brands seem to be slowly recovering.
    Speaking of new Toyotas was followed by a shiny new Corolla GR on Friday. It was nice. Smelt like $45k

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    Speaking of new Toyotas was followed by a shiny new Corolla GR on Friday. It was nice. Smelt like $45k

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    It's an interesting car. There is one a guy runs at our local autocross events. It's wicked fast.

For all the hype around the car it really hits the modern adaptation of a hot hatch. It's an economy hatchback car tuned from the factory well beyond what a normal car should be...in a good way. Get in one and there is no denying its a Corolla that's spent a lot of time at the gym.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

They tried to add that kind of stuff to my CRV I bought last year. I just told them to take it off.

Have your daughter return on Saturday night about an hour before closing, they are so much more agreeable then and almost in a hurry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123