autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Shenanigans

This kind of nonsense has been going on for over a decade, but seems to have picked up in the popularity in the post-pandemic market.

I remember looking for a car back in the mid-2000's and there was a dealership company, I think the Florida/Georgia area, did this on EVERY car on their lot - all makes and at dealerships across several states. Back then it was LoJack and these silly coatings. I didn't realize the dealerships were all owned by the same company until I called the second or third one and got the same exact verbiage about their add-ons, which were already installed and non-negotiable. They seemed shocked when I politely responded by stating I was not interested in paying for something I didn't want and would look elsewhere for the car I wanted. And I did...my local dealership found one in Minnesota and shipped it.

These days, I think some of the more slimy dealers are using it to add extra profit to traditionally low-profit cars. Doesn't surprise me it was a Toyota. They seem to be struggling with inventory more than others these days. Our local Toyota dealer has essentially become a used car dealership due to still having few/no new car inventory. Most of the other brands seem to be slowly recovering.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where I bought my car they have $2500 LoJack on an IONIC6. I know Hyundai and KIA's get stolen but NOT those Dealer ShenanigansDealer ShenanigansDealer Shenanigans

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Where I bought my car they have $2500 LoJack on an IONIC6. I know Hyundai and KIA's get stolen but NOT those Dealer ShenanigansDealer ShenanigansDealer Shenanigans

That is really funny! I just looked it up and the IONIC6 has Hyundia's Bluelink+ telematics service, that does the exact same thing as LoJack and more...for the life of the car...it's integrated into the car...and it's free...

Does the dealer even know what products they are selling? Holy duplication, Batman!

With so many car companies offering telematics services these days, I'm surprised LoJack is still in business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    That is really funny! I just looked it up and the IONIC6 has Hyundia's Bluelink+ telematics service, that does the exact same thing as LoJack and more...for the life of the car...it's integrated into the car...and it's free...

Does the dealer even know what products they are selling? Holy duplication, Batman!

With so many car companies offering telematics services these days, I'm surprised LoJack is still in business.
    My car has that as well.Dealer Shenanigans

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I figured it would.

I'd love to be sitting in the sales of finance office while they try to explain the difference between the free, integrated, and fully operational Bluelink system and the bolted-in third-party solution they stuck on the car for the sake of pure profit. Anyone with even marginal intelligence should be able to spot the scam and laugh them out of the room.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that’s even happening on used cars. My Camaro came with some kind of system where serial numbers etched onto panels to deter theft.

A) thrives would have to know what that is.

B) why would I ever want them to find parts of my car if it’s been stripped.

They wouldn’t budge on discounting off so I walked. Dealer was 2 hours away so I went and watched a movie, had lunch. 4 hours later (near closing) and no call figured the weren’t going to give me the $300 off (was$495 figured $300 was mark up) so I went back and bought it.

Usually I would wait a day or two but woulda been a week before I could come back and didn’t want the car to be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Yeah that’s even happening on used cars. My Camaro came with some kind of system where serial numbers etched onto panels to deter theft.
    I remember when the etching used to be a thing. My insurance used to give a small discount if you had it, but that option went away years ago. Never actually had it done.

I too question the purpose. The VIN is already stamped in multiple places from the factory. If someone has to ID my car by comparing VINs in a stack of parts, it's not going to be in a state I'd ever want it back.

Post Thanks / Like

I too question the purpose. The VIN is already stamped in multiple places from the factory. If someone has to ID my car by comparing VINs in a stack of parts, it's not going to be in a state I'd ever want it back.
    You’re thinking to logical. How’s a dealer gonna make money off you! ��

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Desertnate;1779132]I remember when the etching used to be a thing. My insurance used to give a small discount if you had it, but that option went away years ago. Never actually had it done.

I too question the purpose. The VIN is already stamped in multiple places from the factory. If someone has to ID my car by comparing VINs in a stack of parts

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

A) thrives would have to know what that is.

B) why would I ever want them to find parts of my car if it’s been stripped.

They wouldn’t budge on discounting off so I walked. Dealer was 2 hours away so I went and watched a movie, had lunch. 4 hours later (near closing) and no call figured the weren’t going to give me the $300 off (was$495 figured $300 was mark up) so I went back and bought it.

Usually I would wait a day or two but woulda been a week before I could come back and didn’t want the car to be sold.

It's not there to put your car back together, but rather being able to track stolen parts that are otherwise untraceable. (chop shops/online sales)
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Flash Gordon;1779144]
    I remember when the etching used to be a thing. My insurance used to give a small discount if you had it, but that option went away years ago. Never actually had it done.

I too question the purpose. The VIN is already stamped in multiple places from the factory. If someone has to ID my car by comparing VINs in a stack of parts

It's not there to put your car back together, but rather being able to track stolen parts that are otherwise untraceable. (chop shops/online sales)
    No i get it but at that point it’s the insurance and issue. They shoulda paid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast