autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paintless dent removal

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I mean yeah, if you can live with it great but most insurance companies cover thispaintless dent removal
    I’ve never considered that.

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    This reminds me of a long-term customer I had once -

(For added context, this is 2020 during the height of the pandemic, and a normally active old man being forced to stay at home due to lockdowns, so he had a lot more time on his hands.)

This person, one of the richest men in the country, standing outside his brand-new mansion with the hand applied gold leaf on the pillars of the front entrance and ancient Greek goddess statues, told me that I charge him too much...............after working for him and his extended family for near 15 years. (I was not by the way, he got the same price everyone else did, below industry average too.) Well, I explained that you are not just paying for me to cut the grass, but also the horticultural knowledge that I have. His snarky reply was that "it's not rocket science!".

I found that statement hugely offensive, a complete disregard for all I had learned over a 20-year period. Horticulture is not something you learn about overnight, it takes decades to learn, mostly from hands on experience. It's not just digging holes and cutting grass. You basically become a plant doctor, knowing how identify and treat certain pests and diseases, becoming a plant nutritionist, know how plants function/biologist, learn how are where to prune, learning about soil and become a soil chemist, becoming proficient in plumbing and electronic watering systems, be a small engine mechanic to maintain equipment...................................... So, I might be just a dumb gardener, but there is more to it than he was crediting me for.

A few months later, I resigned after reaching the end of my tether. But guess who was ringing me to help diagnose the bug infestation on his rose bushes? Well, apparently, it's not rocket science, so you figure it out!

There are two things I learnt from all this -

1. NEVER question a person's worth, you have no idea what it takes to do one's job and the price asked for it.
    2. NEVER compromise on what you think you are worth, otherwise, what the point?
    He is allowed to think you charged to much it’s his right to do so.

BUT…..

If he felt that way then he should have parted ways and found some one else.

You are absolutely right to feel the way you do and did the right thing.

I’m sure with his net worth at some point….. “someone was paying him to much”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes DFB, 4getgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Just to clarify, and I know this goes against what some of you have clearly pointed out… But I simply don’t think a tiny dent or two the size of a 1/4 inch or less is worth paying a couple hundred dollars or more to have removed. Last time I checked I have at least 2 tiny divots on my otherwise perfect trunklid that must’ve been caused by the seeds/pits? That sometimes fall out of the tree on the nearby curb.

I don’t like the fact that they’re there, but at the same time I wouldn’t place having them corrected anywhere near a couple hundred bucks worth. It’s just not worth it to me + I can find much better value for a couple hundred dollars.
    Just like ALOT of people feel about polishing paint. No skill is needed and you wanna charge 75-100 dollars an hour?

Not directed at you but sometimes their is underlying skill that makes a job look easy. When in fact polishing paint is.

I was floored back in the day when someone wanted $100 for a proper wash, LSP and interior detail. Now that I know what goes into doing it right it was absolutely worth it at the time I just didn’t know it…

6. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    He is allowed to think you charged to much it’s his right to do so.

BUT…..

If he felt that way then he should have parted ways and found some one else.

You are absolutely right to feel the way you do and did the right thing.

I’m sure with his net worth at some point….. “someone was paying him to much”

From a couple of connections, I am positively certain that he got bit of a shock when quotes came in for my replacement. He was getting me way cheap, but yeah, apparently I was ripping him off.

And they have tried to get me back a few times, a situation that I flat out will not consider. I certainly don't miss the stress, the 9pm Sunday phone calls, the "while your here" requests..............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    From a couple of connections, I am positively certain that he got bit of a shock when quotes came in for my replacement. He was getting me way cheap, but yeah, apparently I was ripping him off.

And they have tried to get me back a few times, a situation that I flat out will not consider. I certainly don't miss the stress, the 9pm Sunday phone calls, the "while your here" requests..............
    Now that he knows your worth I would tell him what kind of person he is. Offer to go back at double the price he was paying you and that he will not tell you what you will be doing you will be telling him. Any additional asks will come at an exorbitant rate if you decide to do it.

He will decline… probably call you some names. Then you can tell him your not overcharging for the work your doing but undercharging for working for a self absorbed A$$h0L€…

9. Likes DFB, Jayfro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here actually doing PDR or have some more info on that, thanks.\

Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post

I pieced together a pretty decent kit. And I use the puller bar most. It holds onto these plastic plugs you put hot glue on.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post

The company I work for paid for a 2 week PDR course I completed recently. My instructor was a guy named Lee Roth from Ding King training institute.

Post Thanks / Like

Danube, what questions/concerns do you have in regards to PDR?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    Danube, what questions/concerns do you have in regards to PDR?

I bought some basic tools (more to come) and I'm dying to start doing the PDR.

I watched many, many videos, watched a guy who worked on my daughter's car (that's when I got 'infected') and I have basic ideas as to how to do some of the dents (some not )

So I guess I need to give it a go .. intending to buy a hood or some panel from the wrecking yard and take it from there.

Wish me luck.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

15. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast