autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Down the detailing rabbit hole.

I almost...and i say almost, enjoyed maintaining the buick more right b4 i just paint corrected and coated it.

You see...its the daily driver, and its straight black. It see dust/ and or mud every day of the work week. So while still being careful when washing it but not being crazy ocd about every little imperfection was a nice change of pace. We always got complimented on the car...even when it still had its very slight paint imperfections. Just shows that most people do in fact not see what we see.( the flaws)

BUT!......very few things are more satisfying than enjoying that car after a nice wash. Im not even talking about needing a full face of makup for a night out on the town. To me there is just something about that simple grandpap looking car that i enjoy.

Some are just a natural beauty...one that doesnt need any makeup to look good. But when it does get the makeup...wooo weee does it catch a few eyes

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Big Dave, Tasmania, DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All my personal cars are junk. I have my gf's old 2004 GMC Canyon (yellow single cab), and my Dad's old, rusted 2006 Dodge Charger.

I'm sentimental and perpetually broke, hate payments, and prefer to save, thus a nicer vehicle is a ways away.

However, even with Cheri's Jeep Sahara 4×E she took possession of in 2021, we don't really obsess over it too much. She actually more fussy than I am. I coated it with Optimum Gloss Coat (my vehicles wear Opti-Seal through the winter. Beads terrible, buy has hung on admirably - its not really a beader freshly applied either..), which is a relatively low maintenance coating, and wash it as needed. It was more difficult in the colder temps, but the occasional touchless automatic was used a few times.

Last weekend I gave it a good bath with Power Clean and ONR and it looks like I just polished and waxed it.

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that when the next vehicle I purchase arrives I might be a little more "attentive" than I've been with these. That poor Canyon... it lived a life of luxury with Cheri. It's been garaged here since 2015, pampered washed, fluffed, buffed, etc. As soon as I get it that clear coat started flaking off the hood, roof, and pillars.. And I thought I over-polished it. Nope, that stuff was as thick as a brand new cigarette wrapper! And that Charger... One of my friends was busting my chops because he's "never seen such perfect paint on a rust bucket!

4. Likes Big Dave, opie, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to keep my vehicles in the best shape possible, but it will not stop me from driving them in any weather at any time. Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

When the bug first bit me, I obsessed over it and would get upset at every bug splatter and dust particle and time spent pursuing constant perfection should have been applied to more important things. I quickly realized that my vehicles stay in a perfectly detailed state for on a few hours at best. The minute I back out of the garage, they are getting dusty/dirty/splattered/spotted etc.

I will do periodic polishing, frequent washings, to keep things looking good when able, but I won't let it affect me negatively when they aren't perfect. I celebrate when they are perfect and simply look forward to getting our vehicles back to that state when they aren't.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. They are meant to be driven! I also keep the truck looking the best I can. But it is driven and outside 24/7. For me it has always been more therapy than anything else. For me A vehicle has never been just a appliance.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

A never-ending battle. My truck is outside 24/7 and sees off-road use. Keeping it looking new requires constant upkeep. But I enjoy it, so I don't mind doing it. And as PA DETAILER said, it's more therapy than anything else.

9. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the luxury of a garage queen or deciding not to drive if it's raining. I don't mind driving in the rain as much as driving on wet roads when it's not raining. Car gets dirtier then.

11. Likes Bruno Soares, Big Dave liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12