autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Down the detailing rabbit hole.

Hit me hard the other day. We clean, fret and obsess over our vehicles. You know the obsession. They have to be PERFECT. To the point where we never totally just enjoy the vehicle for what it is. The drive and feeling. Anyone else? Crazy hobby. No doubt.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

2. Likes DUBL0WS6, DFB, opie, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Down the detailing rabbit hole.

I’ve learned to be able to turn on the detailer mind and turn it off.

When I’m being paid big bucks by a classic car customer I can go total detail nerd, full bore, all out.

Once they leave with it I can give my car a one bucket boars hair brush wash, throw tire shine on it and call it a day.

My marriage wouldn’t last if I didn’t learn to turn it off.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes bill walsh, DUBL0WS6, Big Dave, Tasmania, opie and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got out of the detailing rabbit hole I have my favorites to do a nice job on our cars. Spend about an hour and when I am finished everything is in its place.
    No worries

6. Likes Big Dave, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that there are some who are OCD and are in full detail mode on every vehicle. Others realize that there is a difference between a World of Wheels car and a daily driver. One will never look like the other and a lot of time is wasted trying to do that.

8. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel you on this. I'm trying to avoid it now by washing my coated car with a ceramic infused wash (ech2o) and misting with a ceramic QD. Nothing worse when I fully detail the car and all the sudden unpredicted rain or snow occur. I cancel plans to avoid driving my freshly detailed car lol. Even though I'm one to drive in any weather.

I do wish I was oblivious and couldn't see any imperfections. But I have to say it's always nice to have the glossiest vehicle anywhere you go.

10. Likes Honda Fan, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, countless times I didn’t use my car in order to keep it clean. I’ve picked up and umbrella and walked under rain in order to keep it clean! I wish it was easier to not obsess about it.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I avoid driving in the rain too. All the time. I’ve opted to walk in the rain instead. I know, definitely car crazy!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

13. Likes DFB, Big Dave, Honda Fan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I don't avoid driving my FJ in the rain, in fact I sometimes actively seek mud, see below, I don't like my Mum's Qashqai being out in the rain, especially if it's likely to dry outside, it's very prone to water spots.

I've never owned a brand new car, so they've all come pre-christened with some form of damage, that sort of blunts any OCD about any future damage. I will always do my best to make them look as good as I can, but new damage isn't going to make me cry. In fact today I noticed some new clear coat failure due to old age, and usage, and a new scratch, possibly from off-roading a couple of weeks ago, or someone in a carpark.

For me it's just as much about the process as it is about the end result. Today for instance I had to clay off some Plastidip overspray, then decided to put some Collinite 845 on the clayed areas, then did the whole car, because it was fun, and super glossy when I was done.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

15. Likes Tasmania, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the spray on mud for the suburban soccer mom-mobile?

Post Thanks / Like

It comes down to individual ownership and age i remember when my mum bought her very first new car for herself, and i would be cleaning it everyday well the interior.

I'd start with the wheels, vacuum, wipe down the interior and yes looking back vacuum the engine bay. You could eat off it it was that clean, but a couple year's of doing that same routine took a toll on my mental health, and it wasn't fair to my mother who wanted to enjoy her new car, so one day i turned my back and said ok i won't clean it again.

That lasted a year and in that time the engine bay compartment is trashed being a white car it's FULL of dirt, dust and insects oil from service's etc,

I'm now cleaning the exterior and giving the interior a weekly clean because of my mum's health, i think for a 6 year old and a bit car it looks good except for the rock chips.

I think the paint is "harder than Chuck Norris"

18. Likes Big Dave, DFB, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast