autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacation woes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vacation woes.

I'm also on a 10 day break, my first significant break since joining this company just over a year ago. I think it's helped me make up my mind to look for something else. It's a reasonably small family owned business that likes to do things their own way. There are some safety issues I'm not happy with, really old equipment, "customised" forklifts etc. They just don't seem to have their priorities straight. The pay is reasonable, but I'm on my feet all day at a packing bench, packing everything from sump plug washers to whole suspension kits, leaf springs included, so I have a sore back at the end of every day. Weekends are good for recovery, but I'm often too tired to enjoy my hobbies. Getting old I guess.

Occasionally I get some knee issues, nothing as bad as yours sounds. It usually begins when I change direction with too much weight on my right knee, it will "click" out of alignment, and be tight and uncomfortable for a couple of days. Then I'll somehow reverse it, it will "click" again, and it's back in alignment again, and the pain and tightness is gone.

No solutions, sorry. Do what you need to do, to get through it.

I also buy a lottery ticket every week, tonight's draw is 40 Million.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

2. Likes Tasmania, Coatingsarecrack, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    ... Getting old I guess...
    It sucks getting old. I'll be 70 this year (2023) and every joint in my body hurts at one time or another. And it is certainly not from inactivity... I exercise 5 days a week (45 minutes or so) and am generally active every day.

My knees almost always hurt, especially after working on all fours and/or squatting, like when polishing lower panels. Same with my hips and lower back.

I'm currently dealing with a potential torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder... Having an MRI next Friday so we'll see what that shows. The x-rays have so far shown the shoulder to be "worn out" as the doctor described it. The cartilage in the joint is about 80% gone. I wonder what caused that wear... Could it be all the automotive painting and hand sanding I've done throughout the years? I wonder.

In the meantime, I just keep plugging along, pushing on through as best I can. Just this past week I was up on my roof replacing some shingles that were blown off during a crazy windstorm we had about a month ago. Monday I'll be starting a full paint correction and exterior detailing of a full-size GMC truck.

So yeah! Getting old sucks. But it sure beats the alternative, at least 'til this point. The aches and pains get a little worse with each passing year, but I'll keep doing whatever I can for as long as I can... And my plan is that that is until the day I check out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear bud. I fell off of a land cruiser back in March and nearly tore my shoulder out of socket. Suffered for several months. Had a orthopedic surgeon customer volunteer to do the surgery for free this Winter. Fortunately after around 6 months it healed itself.
    What you need to do is drink more water
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Well sadly that's a wrap! Back to work tomorrow. Overall, despite the drama, I still enjoyed the time off. Appears the 2 things I am doing for the knee are helping. Did the truck today without issue. Real test will be work tomorrow.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

6. Likes PaulMys, Big Dave, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm at work now, resignation letter in my bag, waiting for the best time to hand it in. Never done this before, at my previous job they knew months in advance I was leaving. Nothing that's happening here today is changing my mind.

8. Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm at work now, resignation letter in my bag, waiting for the best time to hand it in. Never done this before, at my previous job they knew months in advance I was leaving. Nothing that's happening here today is changing my mind.

Don't kill yourself, Dave.

I slaved for 22 years at a marina. 15 of them as yard manager.

Don't get me wrong..... I made upward of 82k a year, but the work was never-ending. On call 24-7. Vacations?

I didn't care so much back then, but I now realize that I was sacrificing little things in my life for money.

One was my health. Moving 50 cement blocks onto a truck, then off the truck, then under the boats, then positioning the boat stands, then repeating this 8-10 times a day. And the lifting of 8D marine batteries....Well, you get the idea.

I kept doing the "Macho" thing and ignoring my tell-tale signs.

My back finally gave out. My arms could crush a car, but I couldn't even use them to get myself off the couch. The back pain was debilitating.

7 months of rehab to be able be "normal" again. Meaning lifting normal things, mowing my grass, etc.

Like I said, Big Dave......... Get out while you can. Do what you need to do.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's done, my direct manager said he's disappointed, but he understands. I'll probably be called in by the boss/owner some time this week for a little chat. He didn't like what the last person in this situation said to him so they got to finish up immediately. I've given 4 weeks notice, but I only needed to give 2. I might look for something part time, stacking shelves in a supermarket or something.

Post Thanks / Like

It's done, my direct manager said he's disappointed, but he understands. I'll probably be called in by the boss/owner some time this week for a little chat. He didn't like what the last person in this situation said to him so they got to finish up immediately. I've given 4 weeks notice, but I only needed to give 2. I might look for something part time, stacking shelves in a supermarket or something.

Good for you. Sometimes change is a good thing. Feel the same. If i could find something closer and less physical, with about the same pay, no doubt I would consider it.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

13. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you. Im thinking about quilting my job and going to work at a fried chicken joint. $20 per hour with hardly any responsibility + free fried chicken. Hard to walk from that offer
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

15. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes PA DETAILER, Big Dave liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12